The Travel Vloggers Thread

Highland Capital

6 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Absolutely despise this guy, any video of him I’ve seen he acts like he’s royalty and complains about the tiniest things. In this one it’s that the crew on a flight from Germany to Dubai didn’t speak English to him. 

Forced myself to watch it till the end, he's got a face you'd never tire of punching. Apart from the language he also complains about the German staff not putting on fake smiles and saying "have a nice day" or "enjoy!" like Californians hustling for a tip. Sounds like he threatened them with a bad review unless they gave him some freebee or discount and was told to do one.  Couldn't believe the comments, all from fanboys.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Forced myself to watch it till the end, he's got a face you'd never tire of punching. Apart from the language he also complains about the German staff not putting on fake smiles and saying "have a nice day" or "enjoy!" like Californians hustling for a tip. Sounds like he threatened them with a bad review unless they gave him some freebee or discount and was told to do one.  Couldn't believe the comments, all from fanboys.

"I could easily learn a few German phrases using todays video sponsor, Babbel"

Riiiiiiight.

On 12/08/2023 at 23:03, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Anyone watch ‘jetlag’ its quite geeky but i can absolutely binge on those videos. 

On 12/08/2023 at 23:05, MP_MFC said:

Yes. Absolutely yes.  

I've watched the first three series over the past 24 hours and need to wean myself off them so I've still got something to look forward to. Can't believe how the tig across Europe one ended. I saw it pop up on a Tom Scott video a while ago but I never got round to watching it, so cheers for mentioning it in here.

I never realised it was the Wendover guy too. I've watched his videos before but I always thought he was in his 40s and not a nerdy Haaland.

I've started to get into watching Planes, Trains, Everything.  He's a Scottish Gent in his 60's who does a variety of adventures, usually by train and his narration style comes with a good sense of humour.  "What could possibly go wrong" is a catchphrase 

On 07/09/2023 at 02:43, The Golden God said:

Absolutely despise this guy, any video of him I’ve seen he acts like he’s royalty and complains about the tiniest things. In this one it’s that the crew on a flight from Germany to Dubai didn’t speak English to him. 

He's a weapons grade bell end.

I like Noel Phillips and his pal Josh who sometimes does videos with him when their paths cross on a trip.

There is an awful lot to hate about Lufthansa. I flew short haul business class last year and the meal was a prawn dish. I'm fine with prawns, but another business class passenger wasn't and therefore he couldn't eat the meal. They didnt have an alternative to serve him so the best they could do was an apple. Business class and they have 1 meal, nothing to offer as a dietary allergy alternative and the best they could do was an apple. That's genuinely appalling. Not as if they have lots of business class seats on their European short haul routes. It's all A321, A320 or A319. Some Neos, but a fair number of older versions. They have 4 business passengers per row and maybe 6 rows at most. Not as if they're having to offer an alternative for a whole cabin. They could carry half a dozen non-shellfish meals as an alternative. Their Tasting Heimat menu looks ok, but they tend to have only 1 dish from the menu on each flight. It wouldn't be difficult to offer 1 fish or 1 meat and a veggie alternative. Certainly not at the price they charge. Lots of no frills carriers are also pulling out of Frankfurt, so they've got a pretty captive market for some routes.

But that travel vlogger was picking some really minor issues.

On 09/09/2023 at 12:07, Smurph said:

I've watched the first three series over the past 24 hours and need to wean myself off them so I've still got something to look forward to. Can't believe how the tig across Europe one ended. I saw it pop up on a Tom Scott video a while ago but I never got round to watching it, so cheers for mentioning it in here.

I never realised it was the Wendover guy too. I've watched his videos before but I always thought he was in his 40s and not a nerdy Haaland.

The next couple of seasons (New Zealand especially) are pretty long in comparison to circumnavigation and connect 4 and the next series of Tag starts on You Tube on Wednesday (last Wednesday for us Nebula types).

• 1 month later...

Nice to see a few of the vloggers we regularly watch listed here. I quite like Noel Philips but, agree he can be a bit distant/stand offish, his friend Josh Cahill is alot better at the "people" side of it. He also has some sort of beef with Sam Chui, as he's mentioned in a couple of his videos about not wanting to trigger the Sam Chui defence league. 

On the more destination travel front we watch a fair bit of Bald & Bankrupt (seems very good at connecting with locals) and Backpacker Ben (has worked with Callum Abroad) for the more extreme travel stuff and Walk with me Tim for the places we're actually likely to visit. For our Florida research we've been churning through the Explorcation and Tampa Aerial Media vids content.  Notable mentions to Steve Marsh and Planes, Trains and Everything as well as Scottish vloggers. Have started watching the Jet Lag guys off the recommendation on here, so far so good. 

• 1 month later...

I really like Peter Santenello, he does these self-filmed travels to parts of the States that normally don’t get much attention. He has a really strong ability to empathise and gain the trust of people he films. Not quite as sharp as Louis Theroux, but about ten levels above the dross that used to get done on VBS/Vice 

On 23/10/2023 at 14:45, Hawk89 said:

Nice to see a few of the vloggers we regularly watch listed here. I quite like Noel Philips but, agree he can be a bit distant/stand offish, his friend Josh Cahill is alot better at the "people" side of it. He also has some sort of beef with Sam Chui, as he's mentioned in a couple of his videos about not wanting to trigger the Sam Chui defence league. 

On the more destination travel front we watch a fair bit of Bald & Bankrupt (seems very good at connecting with locals) and Backpacker Ben (has worked with Callum Abroad) for the more extreme travel stuff and Walk with me Tim for the places we're actually likely to visit. For our Florida research we've been churning through the Explorcation and Tampa Aerial Media vids content.  Notable mentions to Steve Marsh and Planes, Trains and Everything as well as Scottish vloggers. Have started watching the Jet Lag guys off the recommendation on here, so far so good. 

Sam Chui is a melt. Warming to Noel Philips a bit, his story is quite sad.

23 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Happy New Jet Lag Series Day to those (Nebula subscribers) who celebrate.

Cant wait for next week!

• 3 months later...

My boy showed me Kurt Kaz last night. He was in Dhaka cutting about the market. Found a wee guy selling tea where one of the fellas hanging about at the stall offered to pay for the tea and the seller refused it saying it was free. God love them, these boys have nothing and still want to be kind to some random white guy with a go pro. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 07/09/2023 at 09:27, welshbairn said:

Seen another video from him recently where he complains that airlines are starting to do away with first class. He acknowledges it’s for financial reasons but says they should keep it because of the “virality” of it, ie so I can keep making videos about it pretending that it’s a real job. He also seems to think that his videos will make people decide to buy first class tickets as if someone who could afford £5 grand for a flight wouldn’t have thought of getting one until stumbling upon his videos.