Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, sophia said:

I don't think he is the best option because I don't think "standing still" is coherent in a political context.

I fear Humza is short of any real ideas, he certainly hasn't hinted thus far that there is much of anything in there and I don't think this alleged polish equals the intellectual capability to lead effectively.

Standing still = backwards and that'll see me return to the earth before there is any recovery from such a misstep.

Forbes' big idea is run to the right economically, and socially for whatever reason. Even at that, big ideas are nothing if you get badly knocked about in the day to day parliamentary business. 

On independence, you can't get a fag paper between Forbes and Yousaf. Both are about building a solid majority before trying to do something with it. 

Humza messed up by not just accepting demolishing Forbes utterly over section 35, and then saying something nice, but carrying on with some other culture war issue. His only mistake in the campaign so far I think. Kate just demolished the record of the government she's been central to for the last few years, not sure if that's good for her CV amongst members. Ash is still the light relief no hoper candidate

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, renton said:

Forbes' big idea is run to the right economically, and socially for whatever reason. Even at that, big ideas are nothing if you get badly knocked about in the day to day parliamentary business. 

On independence, you can't get a fag paper between Forbes and Yousaf. Both are about building a solid majority before trying to do something with it. 

I don't get this "right" thing at all in a modern Scotland.

In the context of the society we have, I see nothing but a positive in fostering a scenario that will attract those that have yet to be persuaded and as for day to day parliamentary business, I'm not sure what you mean by that but if it's first ministers questions, that's a minority sport. If it's about forming and applying policy that works, I'm sure that's possible.

16 minutes ago, renton said:

Forbes' big idea is run to the right economically, and socially for whatever reason.

She thinks she can hint to a move to the centre right economically without SNP lefties noticing, and hoping the right leaning members won't need it spelt out. Expanding the tax base could mean all sorts.

Edited by welshbairn

Another bizarre facet to Forbes' kamikaze campaign strategy is that she seems to be approaching it all like she and the SNP are in perpetual opposition. In a way she is more lamentable than Regan; at least Regan has the excuse of being obviously stupid. 

10 minutes ago, sophia said:

I don't get this "right" thing at all in a modern Scotland.

In the context of the society we have, I see nothing but a positive in fostering a scenario that will attract those that have yet to be persuaded and as for day to day parliamentary business, I'm not sure what you mean by that but if it's first ministers questions, that's a minority sport. If it's about forming and applying policy that works, I'm sure that's possible.

The trick is to hold on to what you've got when you try and make that move, and I don't think Forbes has got the right mix of policy positions to be able to do so. 

You might be able to run to the right in some areas economically to try and engage middle class swing votes, and maybe even manage it while holding onto your left leaning, liberal urban base- but not if you are championing a strict interpretation of the bible as your lode star at the same time.

As for the day to day comments, she led with her chin during the cross examinations, was happy to trash a record that she herself was an architect of in a failed attempt to score a cheap point and generally didn't look that in control of the narrative. These things do matter.

Humza mentioned that the Queensferry Crossing was delivered within budget.

Aye, that's because they decided not to build some* of it.

On that basis the A9 is complete within budget and well before the deadline.

Building a fit for purpose A9 is strategically important for the whole of Scotland and pandering to the green party is not.

I'd like to think that the new First Minister has the intellectual heft to realise what we need for our wellbeing.

*Some swing road from the south iirc

8 minutes ago, sophia said:

Humza mentioned that the Queensferry Crossing was delivered within budget.

Aye, that's because they decided not to build some* of it.

On that basis the A9 is complete within budget and well before the deadline.

Building a fit for purpose A9 is strategically important for the whole of Scotland and pandering to the green party is not.

I'd like to think that the new First Minister has the intellectual heft to realise what we need for our wellbeing.

*Some swing road from the south iirc

Kate Forbes hasn't said a word about how she'd speed up the dualling of the A9, same as eliminating child poverty.

Edited by welshbairn

Repeating opposition party attack lines against the government you serve as a cabinet minister so your quotes can be gleefully clipped up and shared by said opposition parties as widely and as often as possible, all the while probably alienating a sizeable chunk of the party members whose votes you need and giving your opponent an open goal to talk up their own "achievements".

When you are competent.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody South of Pitlochry cares about the undualled A9, and Kate Forbes hasn't said a word about how she'd speed it up.

Oh yes she has.

She conceded that the procurement strategy is flawed and there is a need for a swift review which could include authorising multi contracting.

As for nobody being interested in certain areas of personal areas of passion, I hesitate to break it to some that there are whole cohorts of society that hold different priorities to those that may be vocal in minority forums.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

Oh yes she has.

She conceded that the procurement strategy is flawed and there is a need for a swift review which could include authorising multi contracting.

As for nobody being interested in certain areas of personal areas of passion, I hesitate to break it to some that there are whole cohorts of society that hold different priorities to those that may be vocal in minority forums.

How would she fund multi contracting, or eliminating child poverty for that matter? She's talked a lot about ambitions but not a lot about how to achieve them, other than expanding the tax base, eventually, somehow. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How would she fund multi contracting, or eliminating child poverty for that matter? She's talked a lot about ambitions but not a lot about how to achieve them, other than expanding the tax base, eventually, somehow. 

You misunderstand. Multi contracting doesn't mean do all the road at once, it means letting separate smaller contracts for each phase. This comes with interfacing risks that the contracts will be clear on. It's potentially cheaper if managed correctly. 

If you listen carefully she's talking about growing the economy so if you want to know more on that, listen to her expand upon it over the next wee while.

At least she has ambition and a vision.

4 minutes ago, sophia said:

You misunderstand. Multi contracting doesn't mean do all the road at once, it means letting separate smaller contracts for each phase. This comes with interfacing risks that the contracts will be clear on. It's potentially cheaper if managed correctly. 

If you listen carefully she's talking about growing the economy so if you want to know more on that, listen to her expand upon it over the next wee while.

At least she has ambition and a vision.

Growing the economy would be nice, as would expanding the tax base, as I'm sure everyone would agree. It's just that I haven't heard a word about how she'd go about it. Maybe a hint about reducing higher tax rates, but that's about it.

You can use the "failings of our party in government" angle in a leadership election to portray yourself as the outsider ready to shake things up if you've come into it from the backbenches or at a push a minor cabinet role. You can't do so having held the second most powerful post in that government for three years, you just make yourself look daft.

Seeing little basis for Forbes being any more competent than Yousaf on the evidence of the campaign so far.

Edited by Dunning1874