Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I recall now the reason it wouldn’t be possible to donate your empties, was that the deposits would be in the form of a voucher to be used in the store they were returned to.

Has that now changed to include a cash return that can be used as you please?

From Circularity Scotland:

How to return your drink container

Simply take your empty, PET plastic and glass bottles and metal drinks cans to a return point where you’ll be refunded with either a cash payment over the counter or a voucher, if the return point operates a reverse vending machine.  Vouchers can be used to pay for some of your shopping in store or you can ask for cash instead. In most cases you will be able to donate your deposit to selected charities and community groups.

You’ll find return points anywhere you can buy drinks in containers included in the scheme and at a range of other participating sites. 

Online retailers will also collect your empty drinks containers and refund your deposit.

8 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Not sure where to put this?

I was just reading that Circularity Scotland who will run the deposit return scheme are forecasting £57m of revenue from unclaimed deposits each year. Each deposit being 20p that is a staggering 285 million items. That's 57 per person, assuming a population of 5 million. £11.40/each person per annum. I'm not sure this is a good idea during a cost or living crisis. I expect those unclaimed deposits will tend to be from those from poorer backgrounds.

Correct me if I'm reading this wrongly.  The business model of CSL is premised on unreturned bottles?  Incendiary if true...

3 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

So voting starts today, when does it close?

Humza looks clear favourite but difficult to guess how a membership votes. Are there any general stats available on the membership like average age etc

Noon on the 27th of March. I tried to find out about the average age before and it looked much the same as other parties, ie. old. I'm not sure if you can count Humza as favourite if you take second preference votes into account, I think he'll need over 50% of first choices which is a big ask.

Edited by welshbairn

Aye Kate Forbes supporters (Or those expecting a larger bookies return on her than Humza 😇 )  are hoping that Ash Regan gets a reasonable amount of 1st preference votes.   Imo If Humza doesn't get 50% on 1st votes he is unlikely to cross the line with 2nd preference. 

Bookies currently have it a best price 4/6 Humza at LivescoreBet and 13/8 Kate Forbes at BetFred.  

Edited by superbigal

16 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Correct me if I'm reading this wrongly.  The business model of CSL is premised on unreturned bottles?  Incendiary if true...

You are interpreting it correctly. Hence why I posted it, I don't think its remotely acceptable.

I've heard Circularity Scotland referred to as a non for profit and a private company, which is it? 

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

He’s no more out of his depth than any of the other candidates. What an endorsement. Get that on the poster.

That's one heck of an endorsement. I suppose it is a fitting summary of the field. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Noon on the 27th of March. I tried to find out about the average age before and it looked much the same as other parties, ie. old. I'm not sure if you can count Humza as favourite if you take second preference votes into account, I think he'll need over 50% of first choices which is a big ask.

If he gets high 40s of the 1st prefs I'd imagine he'll be safe enough. There'll probably be a chunk of Regan voters who won't express a 2nd preference and Forbes won't get 100% of the rest.

It's pretty difficult to tell without much relevant polling. Demographics/polls of voters suggest Forbes is in with a good shout but I think past membership votes tend to go with the establishment pick. I wouldn't be surprised by anything between Yousaf winning easily and Forbes nicking it on 2nd prefs.

I really think the deposit return scheme is a non-starter for a couple of reasons.

First, it means that people will always be out of pocket. It's fine saying you'll get 20p back when you are done with it, but for every day that you have a can or bottle in your house you are down on cash. Adding £4.80 onto a crate of 24 cans of juice, for example, and getting that money back at some point weeks later, or in dribs and drabs, is just cash out of your pockets. It's a deficit that people will never be clear of because there will always be a can or bottle somewhere in the house.

Secondly, I heard some producers on the radio say that the costs exceed the 20p face value and this will need to be passed on to us customers. So for some products you might see costs rise by 40-50p, and claim 20p back.

If this goes ahead it'll be really, really unpopular.

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I really think the deposit return scheme is a non-starter for a couple of reasons.

First, it means that people will always be out of pocket. It's fine saying you'll get 20p back when you are done with it, but for every day that you have a can or bottle in your house you are down on cash. Adding £4.80 onto a crate of 24 cans of juice, for example, and getting that money back at some point weeks later, or in dribs and drabs, is just cash out of your pockets. It's a deficit that people will never be clear of because there will always be a can or bottle somewhere in the house.

Secondly, I heard some producers on the radio say that the costs exceed the 20p face value and this will need to be passed on to us customers. So for some products you might see costs rise by 40-50p, and claim 20p back.

If this goes ahead it'll be really, really unpopular.

Its almost as if the greens are a shower of melts?

16 minutes ago, DC92 said:

If he gets high 40s of the 1st prefs I'd imagine he'll be safe enough. There'll probably be a chunk of Regan voters who won't express a 2nd preference and Forbes won't get 100% of the rest.

It's pretty difficult to tell without much relevant polling. Demographics/polls of voters suggest Forbes is in with a good shout but I think past membership votes tend to go with the establishment pick. I wouldn't be surprised by anything between Yousaf winning easily and Forbes nicking it on 2nd prefs.

I'm a bit thick about getting my head around STV. Do your second and third votes matter in terms of giving your first choice an advantage? Say if you think the top two, including your first choice, will be close to level pegging on first choices, is it worth giving your 2nd preference vote to a third no hoper candidate rather than the rival?

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a bit thick about getting my head around STV. Do your second and third votes matter in terms of giving your first choice an advantage? Say if you think the top two, including your first choice, will be close to level pegging on first choices, is it worth giving your 2nd preference vote to a third no hoper candidate rather than the rival?

We use STV for Senate and Dean votes. The think to remember is that you do not have to vote for every candidate. Don't like someone? Don't even give them your 8th choice vote.

In most elections I can remember STV has had no impact. The "winners" on first preference votes tends to get in.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

When does voting end and the new leader get announced?

Noon March 27th. Most of the voting is online so maybe later that day I'd have thought. They've got an outside firm organising it.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

You are interpreting it correctly. Hence why I posted it, I don't think its remotely acceptable.

I've heard Circularity Scotland referred to as a non for profit and a private company, which is it

It could be both.  Private companies can be not for profit.  Any profit (surplus) is normally reinvested in the company and not paid out to shareholders.

54 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't have to use your 2nd preference at all, and if you do it'll only be counted if your first choice gets knocked out in the first round (i.e. only Regan's 2nd preferences actually matter).

Example:

Round 1

Yousaf - 47%

Forbes - 36%

Regan - 17%

Regan is knocked out. Her 2nd prefs get added to Yousaf's and Forbes' totals.

Round 2

Yousaf - 48% (+1 from Regan)

Forbes - 47% (+11 from Regan)

No 2nd pref - 5%

Yousaf would win in that scenario.

Edited by DC92