Celtic V Aberdeen

17 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

In our case a combination of holding on to McInnes too long followed by a couple of disastrous appointments. 

As far as the league goes. I can't talk for all the other clubs but a lot of it I think is to do with excessive pragmatism and shite mentality. I was at both the County and St Johnstone games at Pittodrie recently when the Dons were absolutely shot of confidence and any manager worth their salt should've been right at us and in our faces from minute 1. Instead they both tried to shitfest their way to a draw, it worked for County but not for Saints. 

Now, I'm not for one minute criticising these teams, if that's the best way for them to approach a game, then fine, but the idea that Pittodrie is a 'difficult place to go' at the moment is nonsense. I'm sure I saw we've gained 0 points when behind this season. Basically get ahead of us, you win. But teams are still viewing Pittodrie as a valuable point. 

I’m not going to try underplay the financial gap here, it exists and it’s significant however putting us to the side just for a second is it then unfair to suggest then a big problem is then the standard of coaching/management ? Do we need more coaches or coaches given an opportunity who have a different mentality or are happier to play a less pragmatic style? And importantly be given time and support to embed this?

Edited by Jinky67

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The points total is the same Celtic have no control or influence over 102 points clubs play for.

110% agree with you. My point was around there is unlikely any other league anywhere that will have a points gap between top and 4th and 5th or a GD between top and 3rd which is anything like those totals.

I was merely suggesting our top flight is not very competitive at the top end.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I’m not going to try underplay the financial gap here, it exists and it’s significant however putting us to the side just for a second is it then unfair to suggest then a big problem is then the standard of coaching/management ? Do we need more coaches or coaches given an opportunity who have a different mentality or are happier to play a less pragmatic style? 

I've no idea. It's one of the reasons why I'd like to see the Dons go for an overseas manager next up. Someone who doesn't have pre-conceived notions of Scottish football and an inferiority complex about either the arsecheeks or anyone else. Yes, tynecastle, for example, can be a wee bit raucous at times, it can also be a library and you play the team on the park, not the fans in the stands. As I say, I think in Scotland there are far too many folk involved in all aspects of the game who pander to the arsecheeks. 

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

102 points would win the league and there's nothing Celtic could do about that.

Not very good at this maths stuff are you. Aberdeen could get 102 points and not win the league if they lost all 4 games to Celtic. It would allow Celtic to lose a different 4 games and still win the title on gd. 

In fact, as recently as 16/17 just that could've happened. The Dons could've won all 34 fixtures not against Celtic and finished 4 points behind them. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

2 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Not very good at this maths stuff are you. Aberdeen could get 102 points and not win the league if they lost all 4 games to Celtic. It would allow Celtic to lose a different 4 games and still win the title on gd. 

Celtic have won the league on 79 points,it still stands free to any team that can be more consistent over 114 points than the rest. 

25 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

110% agree with you. My point was around there is unlikely any other league anywhere that will have a points gap between top and 4th and 5th or a GD between top and 3rd which is anything like those totals.

I was merely suggesting our top flight is not very competitive at the top end.

Celtic are heading for 100 points and 100 goals in the league,nothing is stopping another club doing the same thing.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic are heading for 100 points and 100 goals in the league,nothing is stopping another club doing the same thing.

Celtic are also heading for winning 90%+ of league games over a season. That’s pretty unique tbh. There are not many other leagues where this would happen. The team that are 2nd have won c.80% of their games which is also probably unique.

13 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Celtic are also heading for winning 90%+ of league games over a season. That’s pretty unique tbh. There are not many other leagues where this would happen. The team that are 2nd have won c.80% of their games which is also probably unique.

Rearrange the folloeing into a well known phrase or saying. Breath. Your. Wasting, You're.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Your first post was about points and I gave you a different scenario on the possibilities.
Celtic's budget can't control or influence any other clubs ability to rack up a points total that could win the league. 

29 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Your first post was about points and I gave you a different scenario on the possibilities.
Celtic's budget can't control or influence any other clubs ability to rack up a points total that could win the league. 

Again, let's go back to that 16/17 season. Aberdeen lost 4 times against Celtic, twice against Rangers, twice at Hamilton and once each against County away and St J at home. 

We scored 7 twice, 6 once, 5 once and 4 twice. I'd say, pretty much as good a season we can have. Even if we'd won 4/4 against Celtic, we'd have finished 6 points behind them. We finished thirty, three-zero points behind them. But aye, we just needed to do a wee bit better. Awa n shite. 

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

In fact, as recently as 16/17 just that could've happened. The Dons could've won all 34 fixtures not against Celtic and finished 4 points behind them

I've said before it's not the budget that makes Celtic it's the people making the decisions.
Ange is just making us the best we can be with the resources we have and lets see where that takes us,I figure we will take a few scalps in Europe next season because we are starting to hit our glass ceiling.
For me the same thing could happen to the Dons, McCormack is your Fergus McCann building a new stadium and training complex, for me the next step is to get the correct footballing minded people in the building,I would start with Steve Clarke he took Killie to 3rd with Aberdeen that shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

With the embarrassment of riches and the fact they're strolling to victories, why don't more young players get a chance to play?

McGregor was your only youth product to start and Forrest got a bit of game time too.

This is a fair point. I think because our squad depth is now quite decent he is trying to keep the senior pros happy and hungry. I would like to see it myself though there has been snippets about Vata in the papers recently so can see him maybe getting minutes with GG away but tbh Oh is a young striker with not a huge amount of games under his belt either.