Things that might die (out) in your lifetime

On 23/02/2023 at 13:24, Abdul_Latif said:

I may not have been entirely clear, but so there is no ambiguity here, the pubs that wouldn’t be missed are the soulless chains and hybrid pubs that try to please everyone.

Proper boozers should be protected at all costs.

I'd Kevin Keegan style love it if Wetherspoons were to disappear from the planet in a hail of tears and snotters from the c**t that owns them. 

17 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

We haven't made a programme since 2021 due to low sales and now have a magazine coming out every few months. 

Definitely on their way out across the board...Hamilton are the latest to chuck doing one...apparently recently they've only been selling 50-100 to crowds of 12-1500.The only folk that are seemingly distraught are the "I, for one, won't be back" groundhopper types who seem to demand uniformity of experience everywhere they go once in their lifetime.

Funnily enough, programme sales seem to have held up better at non-league level...I do ours and we'll probably sell one to every third or fourth person through the gates on crowds of 150-odd. I think a lot of is down to being a bit less corporate with less emphasis on big glossy photos.

13 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

. I think a lot of is down to being a bit less corporate with less emphasis on big glossy photos.

I don’t think so, though it may be a factor.   Bigger factor id say is far less media coverage, therefore the program can still give unique coverage, something higher up is almost impossible,  when I used to get a program match reports, player interviews, a managers preview, a stats section, squad lists, a detail into the opposition and then add in the glossy photos.  After ads I’m not sure how much more space there’s to be filled.    All of that is available easily online now.   What’s the selling point after? 

At non-league most of that isn’t instant and certainly not in one place, also need to consider that non-league has a stereotypical older fansbase.

17 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I don’t think so, though it may be a factor.   Bigger factor id say is far less media coverage, therefore the program can still give unique coverage, something higher up is almost impossible,  when I used to get a program match reports, player interviews, a managers preview, a stats section, squad lists, a detail into the opposition and then add in the glossy photos.  After ads I’m not sure how much more space there’s to be filled.    All of that is available easily online now.   What’s the selling point after? 

At non-league most of that isn’t instant and certainly not in one place, also need to consider that non-league has a stereotypical older fansbase.

There's definitely a demographic bias towards older supporters in terms of who buys them, but the stereotype of the fanbases being a squad of old guys in bunnets is only true in a minority of cases these days...there are a few like that who still live up to the cliche, but the majority seem to be attracting a much wider cross-section these days.

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I only have vague memories of people smoking in places like restaurants. I know smoking used to be a lot more common than it is now, but trying to eat in a restaurant while cigarette smoke was wafting about must have been bogging.

When did smoking in restaurants get stopped? I am sure it was way before the 2006 smoking ban.

I’m going to guess about 1998 because I can only just remember it. Although McDonalds would’ve been 2002.

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m going to guess about 1998 because I can only just remember it. Although McDonalds would’ve been 2002.

Sounds about right IMO, because I can't remember anyone smoking in a restaurant beyond around that time. I take it this wasn't through legislation and was just establishments saying they would no longer permit smoking in their premises?

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

3 warnings leads to a ban so I’m told.

Shit I better toe the line now.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They used to have a smoking carriage on every tube train in London, even as a smoker I found them unbearable, especially in rush hour.

I remember the smoking section in the back of the plane…and big, nasty tar stains on the tail of the plane where the air exhausted.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

I remember the smoking section in the back of the plane…and big, nasty tar stains on the tail of the plane where the air exhausted.

I got one of those weird flights once that went Glasgow-Edinburgh-London and it was hilarious...you're only in the air less than ten minutes between Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the smokers only got about two draws in between being told it was okay to smoke and the no-smoking light going on for the landing.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Days of bliss, which made them switch on the air recycling frequently enough to increase to chances of getting of rid of respiratory infections too. As soon as they banned smoking they cut down the aircon and virus spread went wild.

Edited by welshbairn

14 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Definitely on their way out across the board...Hamilton are the latest to chuck doing one...apparently recently they've only been selling 50-100 to crowds of 12-1500.The only folk that are seemingly distraught are the "I, for one, won't be back" groundhopper types who seem to demand uniformity of experience everywhere they go once in their lifetime.

Funnily enough, programme sales seem to have held up better at non-league level...I do ours and we'll probably sell one to every third or fourth person through the gates on crowds of 150-odd. I think a lot of is down to being a bit less corporate with less emphasis on big glossy photos.

Strange that Accies sales are so low. East Fife sell 150 to 200 programmes on crowds of 500 - 600.

Apologies if already mentioned but what about keys? I know you get key cards in hotels and commercial buildings but it seems a bit outdated that there are so many traditional keys on the go in this day and age when almost every other daily necessity has been digitalised for  our convenience.

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

Apologies if already mentioned but what about keys? I know you get key cards in hotels and commercial buildings but it seems a bit outdated that there are so many traditional keys on the go in this day and age when almost every other daily necessity has been digitalised for  our convenience.

You can't hack a key.