Lofarl

It's becoming a big problem with university students using it to write submissions for them.

Of course the penalties for doing so have also become more serious. In certain fields it will see you punted from the course and, depending on the course, will ensure you won't get in to any other UK institution on the same course.

In saying that, it getting harder for the universities to spot such plagiarism. What will probably happen is that for each submission, someone at the uni will ask ChatGPT to write it then submit that to Turnitin.

Edited by DA Baracus

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you have interacted with this or one of the AI image generators you have directly contributed to the downfall of civilisation. I hope the three likes you got on Twitter were worth it.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It's becoming a big problem with university students using it to write submissions for them.

Of course the penalties for doing so have also become more serious. In certain fields it will see you punted from the course and, depending on the course, will ensure you won't get in to any other UK institution on the same course.

In saying that, it getting harder for the universities to spot such plagiarism. What will probably happen is that for each submission, someone at the uni will ask ChatGPT to write it then submit that to Turnitin.

Could someone marking an essay copy and paste it into chatGPT to ask if it was the creator? 

19 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

But then presumably the student could change a few words around and chatGPt wouldn’t recognise it as it’s own creation anymore 🤔

You have no idea how many students think that by changing the words, they can get away with plagiarism or contract cheating. 

In some cases they don't even see it as wrong ("it is my own words")

I added the extension to Chrome the other day so when you search for something it starts typing out the definition.

The definition is pretty much the wikipedia page.

Lot of fucking shite IMO.

Yours etc

Hal 9000

PS Students cheat all the time, Turnitin is a waste of time and can easily be gamed,  employers dont care about degree classifications so can tell if youre a lying cheating c**t anyway. And if you are, theres a job with the Tory party waiting for you.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I added the extension to Chrome the other day so when you search for something it starts typing out the definition.

The definition is pretty much the wikipedia page.

Lot of fucking shite IMO.

Yours etc

Hal 9000

PS Students cheat all the time, Turnitin is a waste of time and can easily be gamed,  employers dont care about degree classifications so can tell if youre a lying cheating c**t anyway. And if you are, theres a job with the Tory party waiting for you.

I wouldn't agree about Turnitin. Through paraphrasing students can reduce their percentage matching and believe that it's job done from there. But they always mess up, every time. I've been in disciplinaries with students showing a Turnitin match of less than 1% to a source paper. They often don't understand how we find the originals. 

And if a student manages to get their paper down to 0% similarity, that's just a big red flag so we go hunting. 

On 25/02/2023 at 22:28, DA Baracus said:

Surely the penalty should be a knife-arm through the back of the skull while drinking a carton of milk.

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I wouldn't agree about Turnitin. Through paraphrasing students can reduce their percentage matching and believe that it's job done from there. But they always mess up, every time. I've been in disciplinaries with students showing a Turnitin match of less than 1% to a source paper. They often don't understand how we find the originals. 

And if a student manages to get their paper down to 0% similarity, that's just a big red flag so we go hunting. 

So somewhere between 0% - 1% and you're legit anything else you're a cheating b*****d.

On 25/02/2023 at 22:28, DA Baracus said:

I know people at university who paid others to write some of their essays, anyway. The only way to be confident it is the work of the student is for the work to be done under examination conditions, and even then there have been reports of students having paid other people to sit their exams for them!

https://thetab.com/uk/2021/06/08/students-are-paying-private-tutors-thousands-to-sit-online-exams-for-them-208792

Edited by G_&_T

1 hour ago, G_&_T said:

I know people at university who paid others to write some of their essays, anyway. The only way to be confident it is the work of the student is for the work to be done under examination conditions, and even then there have been reports of students having paid other people to sit their exams for them!

https://thetab.com/uk/2021/06/08/students-are-paying-private-tutors-thousands-to-sit-online-exams-for-them-208792

I've had a couple of dissertation cases where students used essay mills. The problem is, they assume they're getting top notch work. What they tend to get is rubbish.