Lofarl

6 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd like to know ChatGpt's thoughts on Pie and Bovril

And lo, I saw a great multitude of voices, as if the very air was filled with the clamour of men. And they cried out with one accord, saying, "Behold the forum Pie & Bovril, for it is the place where the faithful gather to discuss the sport of kings!"

And I saw that there were many who were wise in the ways of the game, and they did offer counsel to the uninitiated, saying, "Verily I say unto thee, young apprentice, thou shalt not question the ways of the referees, for they are beyond the understanding of mortal men."

And there were others who were filled with wrath and fury, and they did cast insults and curses at their rivals, saying, "May thy team be cursed with the very fires of hell, and thy players be struck down by the hand of God!"

And yet there were others who were filled with a great joy and merriment, and they did sing praises to their own team, saying, "Our strikers are as swift as the eagle, and our defenders are as strong as the lion!"

And I saw that there were many who were lost in confusion, and they did cry out for guidance, saying, "Oh, great and mighty forum, tell us what we must do to understand the mysteries of the game!"

And the voices did reply, saying, "Verily I say unto thee, seek ye the wisdom of the elders, and study the holy texts of the game, and thou shalt be enlightened."

• 1 month later...

Schumacher family planning legal action over AI ‘interview’ with F1 great

Michael Schumacher’s family are planning legal action against a German weekly magazine over an “interview” with the seven times Formula One champion that was generated by artificial intelligence.

A spokesperson for the Schumacher family, asked by Reuters for a comment on Wednesday, pointed to published reports of legal action.

The Ferrari great has not been seen in public since he suffered a serious brain injury in a skiing accident on a family holiday in the French Alps in December 2013.

The latest edition of Die Aktuelle ran a front cover with a picture of a smiling Schumacher and the headline promising “Michael Schumacher, the first interview”.

The strapline added: “It sounded deceptively real.”

The supposed quotes by Schumacher read: “My life has completely changed since [the accident]. That was a horrible time for my wife, my children and the whole family.

“I was so badly injured that I lay for months in a kind of artificial coma, because otherwise my body couldn’t have dealt with it all.”

In the end, it emerged that the supposed quotes had been produced by AI.

On 03/03/2023 at 18:37, The Other Foot said:

Has anyone else found this to be legitimately useful at work yet? Part of my job involves researching business opportunities in foreign countries, and since signing up 24hours ago it has saved me almost a week of work (mostly in terms of identifying countries with highest spend in sector A, highest need in sector B, main sources of finance etc).

I’m not trusting its answers exactly, but using them to direct and assist my own research. 

I’m also beginning to wonder if there is a direct correlation between the efficacy of chatGPT in certain jobs, and its potential future ability to render those jobs meaningless…. 

😬

I definitely wouldn’t trust it. We have been looking at it in work because we found some of the academic journal “paper mills” have been using it to create articles which are all either completely inaccurate or meaningless gobbledygook.

We also found that it’s been making up citations. Apparently it creates titles it thinks academics might have written but when we tried to follow them, they either led to something entirely different or were broken links. These mistakes aren’t always getting picked up though and have started to end up in bibliometrics tools and being attributed to the actual academics, on websites etc, when they have no idea about it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://twitter.com/LinusEkenstam/status/1662073874425544706?s=20

“People that negatively comment on this is completely missing the mark. AI today is like the Atari of the early 90’s running on floppy-disks. It sucks.”

I’m sure in the 90’s people thought Ataris were brilliant. Not completely shit.

Atari was completely shit in the 90's.  Wasn't too bad in the very early 80's and didn't have floppy discs either.  Required cartridges.

Completely outclassed by the Commodore 64 and Speccy 48 by the mid 80's which were then superseded by SEGA Megadrive and SNES consoles by the late 80's early 90's.  

26 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Atari was completely shit in the 90's.  Wasn't too bad in the very early 80's and didn't have floppy discs either.  Required cartridges.

Completely outclassed by the Commodore 64 and Speccy 48 by the mid 80's which were then superseded by SEGA Megadrive and SNES consoles by the late 80's early 90's.  

C64 and Speccy were superseded by the Amiga, which was superseded by the PC.

Atari 2600 and 5200 were done for when the NES and Master System came along. The SNES and Megadrive usurped them, then the PlayStation took over.

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Atari 2600 and 5200 were done for when the NES and Master System came along. The SNES and Megadrive usurped them, then the PlayStation took over.

Fair do's.  

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Fair do's.  

On 29/05/2023 at 13:52, Loonytoons said:

Atari was completely shit in the 90's.

How very fucking dare you. ChatGPT tells me that yer maw was completely shit by the 90's.

On 29/05/2023 at 14:20, Ross. said:

Missed a bit - the floppy-based Atari ST superseded the C64 and Speccy in the mid-Eighties, only to be outperformed by the Amiga by the dawn of the Nineties.

The C64 was sandwiched between the Speccy and Amstrad CPC in the first half of the Eighties, much like Loonytoons' maw with burly longshoremen.

My Twitter feed nowadays is full of ChatGPT stuff, despite me never showing an interest in it.

Usually in the form of threads along the lines of "people in their 20s are making $300,000 per year/month/hour with ChatGPT. Here's 173 ways you can use it to become financially independent".

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

How very fucking dare you. ChatGPT tells me that yer maw was completely shit by the 90's.

Missed a bit - the floppy-based Atari ST superseded the C64 and Speccy in the mid-Eighties, only to be outperformed by the Amiga by the dawn of the Nineties.

The C64 was sandwiched between the Speccy and Amstrad CPC in the first half of the Eighties, much like Loonytoons' maw with burly longshoremen.

I’m annoyed I missed the Atari ST but I always thought that came out around the same time as the Amiga.

7 hours ago, BTFD said:

More drunken nonsense from BTFD.