Bowls - any players/members?

++Ammo - Airdrie++

Good win away in the Lanarkshire top 10 yesterday, away at Caldercraig.  Good week coming up this week, Tuesday I've got the last 16 of the Monklands Singles, then a chance to pick up some silverware with the Laney Triples final (against Caldercraig again), and on friday the last lanarkshire league game, where 6 points will win the league (4 MIGHT do depending on shot difference and if Dalzell beat Bothwell 6-0 away from home).

We've got our sponsored all day event on Saturday, which should be a messy occasion, and then the next day we're at home to Bellshill & Mossend in the next round of the Top 10 (im not holding out much hope based on alcohol intake the previous day!)

Into the last 8 of the Monklands Singles, play the QF tomorrow night at Garrowhill, our pairs and triples are also into the QF and all at Garrowhill also.  

Last Thursday night we were beaten in the Laney triples 3 games to 1, could have been 4-0 either way tbf, really good close games. Friday night in the last Lanarkshire league game, a 6-0 win over Calderbank secured the LBA league over Dalzell meaning a 9th promotion in 11 years! Saturdays all day comp was decent if a bit wet and then we were beaten 6-2 in the TOP 10, singles beaten 21-11, pairs beaten 16-14, our triples won 16-13 and the fours were beaten 14-12. close games all round so can't grumble too much.  Not a lot left to play for this year, semi final of the club pairs and QF of the championship.

I joined my club too late to play in the singles and pairs competitions this season. Playing in the club rinks/fours on Sunday with the three who won the club triples last season. Club triples is at the start of September and while I'd love to play in it, it's the day before my sons birthday so unless there's a pair looking for a third player I'm also happy to not play in that. 

Playing twice for the club this year in the local league so I can't really complain about anything. 

Already looking forward to next season and getting more involved

Edited by FK1Bairn

2 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I joined my club too late to play in the singles and pairs competitions this season. Playing in the club rinks/fours on Sunday with the three who won the club triples last season. Club triples is at the start of September and while I'd love to play in it, it's the day before my sons birthday so unless there's a pair looking for a third player I'm also happy to not play in that. 

Playing twice for the club this year in the local league so I can't really complain about anything. 

Managed to scrape through in the Monklands singles, into the Semi final now, play Victoria, 2pm on Saturday @ Coatdyke  (missing the fitba 😡)

QF of my championship tonight, genuinely cant be arsed man, shite day at work, not in the mood, we know whats happening there then!!

Sounds like a decent opening season again for you, plenty to build on for next year!

Won my district singles semi yesterday, was 6-5 down and managed to get into a wee rhythm and eventually won 21-8. Finals this Saturday at Springwells bowling club, and then the following weekend our club finals, and that's it, shelved until April. If I win, expect a cheesy gratuitous trophy pose photo 😂

On 17/08/2023 at 16:27, FK1Bairn said:

I joined my club too late to play in the singles and pairs competitions this season. Playing in the club rinks/fours on Sunday with the three who won the club triples last season.

Dumped out in the first match today by the 4 who then went on and won. Really enjoyable day despite getting beat with warm weather, no rain, great chat, watching of the WWC Final and plenty of liquid refreshments as is normal on these days!! 

• 2 weeks later...

With the end of the outdoor season fast approaching, what are people's plans for the winter? My club offers carpet bowls over the winter and there's a carpet bowls league planned on weekday evenings. 

I've never played carpet bowls but from what I've heard about it I don't think I fancy it. 

Almost time to close the green, lift the height of cut, switch the green daily whilst keeping an eye and spray any patches of corticium red thread, feed with an autumn-winter feed, after two weeks give the green a good scarifying then ready yourself for a hollow tine coring or just do a solid tine run...

then finally apply a good top dressing and a week or two of gently brushing it in..

repair damaged turf areas over the month of Nov.....fix banks etc if need be.

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

With the end of the outdoor season fast approaching, what are people's plans for the winter? My club offers carpet bowls over the winter and there's a carpet bowls league planned on weekday evenings. 

I've never played carpet bowls but from what I've heard about it I don't think I fancy it. 

Absolutely hee haw in the winter time! Me and my daughter have started going to the gym in July, she needed a hobby and she's not sporty so she enjoys that a few times a week. Half my outdoor club play at Coatbridge indoor in the winter but I've just no enthusiasm for indoor at all 

• 1 month later...

I don't venture into this forum too often so I missed this thread.

First picked up a bowl in 1989 as a kid and played for about 10 years up to and including regional U25... gave it up at about 20 when there was much more fun things to do with my life... 🤣

Moved to New Zealand in 2011 and decided to get back into it as a way of getting to know people, within a year I'd skipped the team that won the Canterbury Open Fours beating a team skipped by none other than Gary Lawson (google him) and was picked for the Canterbury rep squad a few years in a row.

Then the kids came along starting in 2014 and my bowls career went in the opposite direction, very much play for fun at the moment and to get out of the house, managed to pick up the odd Club title but certainly not playing at the level I was.

Still only in my early 40s so plenty of time to get back into it. 

I'll see if I can dig out some photos later.

4 hours ago, KiwiDB said:

I don't venture into this forum too often so I missed this thread.

First picked up a bowl in 1989 as a kid and played for about 10 years up to and including regional U25... gave it up at about 20 when there was much more fun things to do with my life... 🤣

Moved to New Zealand in 2011 and decided to get back into it as a way of getting to know people, within a year I'd skipped the team that won the Canterbury Open Fours beating a team skipped by none other than Gary Lawson (google him) and was picked for the Canterbury rep squad a few years in a row.

Then the kids came along starting in 2014 and my bowls career went in the opposite direction, very much play for fun at the moment and to get out of the house, managed to pick up the odd Club title but certainly not playing at the level I was.

Still only in my early 40s so plenty of time to get back into it. 

I'll see if I can dig out some photos later.

I'm sure we also frequented the OLD bowls thread about 8 years ago with you @KiwiDB, when I'd saw in the notifications you posted, I remembered!!

Indoor season here means I do absolutely "F all" bowls related things, can't stick it!

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I'm sure we also frequented the OLD bowls thread about 8 years ago with you @KiwiDB, when I'd saw in the notifications you posted, I remembered!!

Indoor season here means I do absolutely "F all" bowls related things, can't stick it!

That rings a bell now you mention it..

Couple of photos for you.

Auckland Bowling Club - the oldest in the southern hemisphere and a glorious setting.

Royal Oak Bowling Club in Auckland, fully enclosed so can play all year round.

E05C2FF2-698F-4A57-B7CF-97F9E304F0F9.jpeg

EA382E2E-758C-4A4F-AAFE-829C3885858D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Took my son along to Carpet Bowls coaching this morning. Was my first time seeing it in the flesh and it looks so much more complicated than 'normal' bowls!!

I'm more than happy to give it a miss personally and just wait until April to play again!

• 3 weeks later...

Worth mentioning, 2 boys from our club were beaten in the semi finals of the Hong Kong Classic this morning. What an achievement even being selected to represent one of the Scottish places over there never mind both.  Gary's had an excellent year, making his international debut at the home international series in Northfield and winning the series playing 3rd to Grant Logan in the 4's. Paul was also my skip this year when we won the Lanarkshire County 4's Championship.

• 2 months later...

Been watching some of the World Indoor championships this week. Men's QF's today with the defending champion knocked out by a young lad named Harry Goodwin, wins for Alex Marshall against Les Gillett, Paul Foster against Nick Brett and Stewart Anderson winning his QF. 

Scotland now has 3 of the 4 mens semi finalists, Marshall v Foster playing against each other tomorrow. We also had Julie Forrest winning the Mixed Pairs this week and finishing as runner up in the womens singles final. 

Only 10 or 11 weeks till the outdoor season starts

Edited by FK1Bairn
Clarification

Julie absolutely threw that women's final away, but tbf the lassie Rednal isn't a bad player!! The boy harry Goodwin's been chapping at the door for something like this, he's won national titles on England, he's an internationalist etc so I'm not too surprised, same when Mark Dawes appeared a few years ago! I think for quality of bowling, if we get an Anderson Foster final we won't be disappointed!!

As you say, Roll on the outdoor!!

7 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Julie absolutely threw that women's final away, but tbf the lassie Rednal isn't a bad player!! The boy harry Goodwin's been chapping at the door for something like this, he's won national titles on England, he's an internationalist etc so I'm not too surprised, same when Mark Dawes appeared a few years ago! I think for quality of bowling, if we get an Anderson Foster final we won't be disappointed!!

As you say, Roll on the outdoor!!

Watched both mens semi's this afternoon while following the football via BBC website. Marshall v Foster was a brilliant match and worthy of being the final itself. 

Anderson has been playing very well but so has Marshall. It's a toss up to decide the winner