Title race

My big fear a while back was that we’d mantelpiece thistle in the league and then get pumped off them in the play-offs… maybe got bigger fears now to be honest. 

Always going to be ups and downs with a young team - hopefully this is us getting a blip out of the way before the proper business end. Friday will tell us a lot. 

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

It's lucky Queens Park continue to lose right now considering their fans seem desperate to stay in the league...

Everyone wants to play at the highest level possible, but the Championship is consistently the most interesting and entertaining league in the country. Both of these things are true. 

27 minutes ago, an86 said:

Everyone wants to play at the highest level possible, but the Championship is consistently the most interesting and entertaining league in the country. Both of these things are true. 

Looking at the potential teams in the Championship next season (Dundee Utd, Ross Co, Scumferline, Falkirk) obviously TBC but this IHMO is the best and most competitive league in the UK, f**k the top tier getting and  pumped by the bigots  6 times a season🤪 

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

Looking at the potential teams in the Championship next season (Dundee Utd, Ross Co, Scumferline, Falkirk) obviously TBC but this IHMO is the best and most competitive league in the UK, f**k the top tier getting and  pumped by the bigots  6 times a season🤪 

That's what I'm trying to say 😄

Everybody wants what's best for their club and I'd rather have my team compete in a division where there is an actual title race. That's what I think is "best" for QP for the foreseeable future. I don't know if you guys also spend time in the SPL forum here but this is what you get instead of a "title race" thread.Screenshot_2023-04-02-21-45-59-489-edit_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d15659425735a0b5e9d72e1f2645059a.jpg

The SPL is a scam background for giving the OF a legitimacy it doesn't deserve. And the banter from the supporters of at least 6 different teams in this title race thread is living proof that the Championship is more fun. 

9 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

The SPL is a scam background for giving the OF a legitimacy it doesn't deserve. And the banter from the supporters of at least 6 different teams in this title race thread is living proof that the Championship is more fun. 

Yeah but for diddy clubs like St. Mirren the only realistic chance of winning one of the two big cups is when you're in the top flight, Hibs 2016 Scottish Cup victory over Newco doesn't really count as neither are diddy teams. Before that would it have been East Fife pre WW2?

For all it's faults the Top Flight is the place to be.

On 02/04/2023 at 00:08, TxRover said:

Don’t agree…still seeing less than a point between the two seasons end, so it’s all in play. Based upon fixtures, there’s not much in it either…Dundee has the gimme that is Cove while Queen’s has the Accies…you could argue that Queen’s has Ayr as a decent chance to win, but all the rest are no assured results for both. Best guess to win League is now about 63 points. Ninth place, about 31 points…

Queens away to Partick; Home to Hamilton; Away to Ayr; Away to Morton; Home to Dundee.

Dundee away to Arbroath; Home to Raith; Home to Morton; Away to ICT; Home to Cove; Away to Queens.

I'm really struggling to see how you can say there's not much in it fixture-wise.  There is one  easyish game left for Queens and 4 very difficult ones.  That may or may not materialise into lost points, and there is no such thing as an assured result, but on paper Dundee definitely have an easier run-in. 

10 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Everybody wants what's best for their club and I'd rather have my team compete in a division where there is an actual title race.

Compete in a division with a title race you have no desire to win as it would mean going up against the big boys?  That seems to be what you're saying.

There’s a not unreasonable set of results this coming weekend which could see the top 4 separated by just 3 points. 

Partick beat Queen’s Park 

Dundee draw or lose

Ayr beat Morton

Would leave the league wide open (even allowing for Dundee’s game in hand) 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Queens away to Partick; Home to Hamilton; Away to Ayr; Away to Morton; Home to Dundee.

Dundee away to Arbroath; Home to Raith; Home to Morton; Away to ICT; Home to Cove; Away to Queens.

I'm really struggling to see how you can say there's not much in it fixture-wise.  There is one  easyish game left for Queens and 4 very difficult ones.  That may or may not materialise into lost points, and there is no such thing as an assured result, but on paper Dundee definitely have an easier run-in. 

I reluctantly agree with that QP had an "easier" run of fixtures in March and we made a hash of it and our April fixtures look more challenging than Dundee's on paper. But in this league the form book might as well be thrown out of the window as any team is capable of beating the any other.   

13 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's what I'm trying to say 😄

Everybody wants what's best for their club and I'd rather have my team compete in a division where there is an actual title race. That's what I think is "best" for QP for the foreseeable future. I don't know if you guys also spend time in the SPL forum here but this is what you get instead of a "title race" thread.Screenshot_2023-04-02-21-45-59-489-edit_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d15659425735a0b5e9d72e1f2645059a.jpg

I agree with that last bit. Even though we were only visiting last season I really enjoyed the banter on here with rival fans, particularly the A*r lot who seem mainly a decent bunch. That said I was delighted to escape, but have real fears that the banter will be resumed again next season. Why would anyone be happy not to be promoted?

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not sure I would agree Dundee have an easy run in. Arbroath, who have just beaten 2 of the top 3. Raith, Morton, ICT all trying for a top 4 spot. 

1 minute ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I reluctantly agree with that QP had an "easier" run of fixtures in March and we made a hash of it and our April fixtures look more challenging than Dundee's on paper. But in this league the form book might as well be thrown out of the window as any team is capable of beating the any other.   

No wishing to rub it in, but if I'm not mistaken the recent run of poor results for you guys may not just be a random run of poor results (which happens) but attributable to losing Murray.  If that is the case. it doesn't auger well for the run-in, especially as Dundee look like they may be finally getting it together just when it matters.

I'm reserving judgement on that last bit until after our trip to Arbroath.  

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Not sure I would agree Dundee have an easy run in. Arbroath, who have just beaten 2 of the top 3. Raith, Morton, ICT all trying for a top 4 spot. 

I didn't say easy though, I said easier.  

Leaving that aside, Dundee play Raith and Morton at Dens whilst Queens have to go to Partick, Ayr and Morton.  And, are Raith, ICT and Morton seriously challenging for top 4 - they are outside bets at best?  

I doubt even the most optimistic Queens fan and pessimistic Dundee fan would say Queens have the easier run-in.  

20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No wishing to rub it in, but if I'm not mistaken the recent run of poor results for you guys may not just be a random run of poor results (which happens) but attributable to losing Murray.  If that is the case. it doesn't auger well for the run-in, especially as Dundee look like they may be finally getting it together just when it matters.

Possibly, but I'm not convinced. In his first few games Shields was getting the same service as Murray did and looked every bit as threatening. He scored 4 goals in 4 games, and his work rate was phenomenal.

Recently though we've been creating far fewer chances, so he's being forced to drift out wide and get involved in the build up play himself which isn't his fault. Unfortunately we're quite one dimensional (and have been all season); when teams suss our game plan out it stops being effective, and I think this could've still happened if Murray hadn't left.

Coyle now needs to find a different approach for the final few games. I'm not sure what that should look like, but if he's unable to do so then we've absolutely no chance. It's not impossible but it's looking very unlikely that we'll finish top now.

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Possibly, but I'm not convinced. In his first few games Shields was getting the same service as Murray did and looked every bit as threatening. He scored 4 goals in 4 games, and his work rate was phenomenal.

Recently though we've been creating far fewer chances, so he's being forced to drift out wide and get involved in the build up play himself which isn't his fault. Unfortunately we're quite one dimensional (and have been all season); when teams suss our game plan out it stops being effective, and I think this could've still happened if Murray hadn't left.

Coyle now needs to find a different approach for the final few games. I'm not sure what that should look like, but if he's unable to do so then we've absolutely no chance. It's not impossible but it's looking very unlikely that we'll finish top now.

I haven't seen you guys play so have no idea but IIRC it seemed the initial period after Murray left it was out of sight out of mind but more recently his departure has been cited as a reason for the run of poor results.  Maybe a case of force fitting things.

Anyhow, I think this weekend will be the most important yet - it will tell us a lot about both Dundee and Queens current good/bad runs and an idea how things might pan out.