Title race

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

I think there's definitely some truth in what you're saying, but as a supporter I'd simply be far too buzzing about winning the league, and be far too drunk and excited for the entirety of this summer to really worry about any of that!

Have you heard the joke about the elder bull, the younger bull and the field of cows?

14 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

The context adds a bit of frustration, but it absolutely has been an outright success.  We finished 4th last season 28 points behind Cove, and came into this campaign with primarily the same group of players - the only big signing was Dom Thomas.

My expectation was that we'd finish somewhere between 5th and 8th, and that would've been perfectly fine. Establishing ourselves as a Championship level side was the objective after we somehow scraped our way here through the playoffs.

It's difficult to say what the goal next season might be, but I suppose building on however this one ends would be a good place to start (whatever that actually means for the club). 

Fair enough. Far be it from me to determine another clubs success for them. 

Think this debate about Arsenal is quote relatable to QP.

Whatever way you write it, they were 7 points clear of us with 5-6 games to go. That's got to be a huge disappointment if they don't proceed to pip us to the title regardless of expectations set out at the start of the season. Doesn't mean they can't go in with confidence next season either way though.

57 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Wouldn’t you like to be a fly on the wall of that SPFL meeting though…

image.gif.be91719f658b350d137d5c50d50ac428.gif

Meh, the b*****ds would probably say the auto-promotion spot was declined, and only the playoff spot was available now.

2 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Fair enough. Far be it from me to determine another clubs success for them. 

I think you did that a couple of posts ago. Anyway.....

We did indeed have that great lead, but we also had Simon Murray, who's still second top scorer in the division and arguably its best player up until he left. But he did leave and we're still in the hunt. The league is over 36 games; being ahead half way through doesn't mean too much, lovely as it was.

This season's been great, wherever we finish up. I'd have snapped the hand off you for being in Raith's position now and I reckon 90% of the QP support would too.

5 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I think you did that a couple of posts ago. Anyway.....

We did indeed have that great lead, but we also had Simon Murray, who's still second top scorer in the division and arguably its best player up until he left. But he did leave and we're still in the hunt. The league is over 36 games; being ahead half way through doesn't mean too much, lovely as it was.

This season's been great, wherever we finish up. I'd have snapped the hand off you for being in Raith's position now and I reckon 90% of the QP support would too.

If you read it back you'll see that I actually didn't. I asked the question. If you lot are disappointed but also happy overall with the season then crack on...

After two seasons were we narrowly avoided the relegation playoffs, I would have been happy with a top half finish before a ball was kicked this season.

However, to have looked like title contenders and then to fall away is disappointing. I think anyone would be disappointed with that, regardless of your preseason expectations.

8 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m thinking more of next season. Everything we’ve been set up for will be at risk with an early entry into the Premiership. First team minutes has been rare enough for most of our young stars this season and will be near impossible in the top league.

Ross County, Hamilton and Falkirk were three clubs highly regarded for their youth and community programmes 15-20 years ago. Between them they’ve discovered that if you want to be in the top tier you have to be buying. If you can’t keep pace with that, tier  2/3 is where you end up. Beuker’s model is very intriguing and would easily be workable in tiers 3/4, probably tier 2. To be the success that he had at Alkmaar will take much longer. If that’s the path we’re on, another couple of years in the Championship would be workable.

To satisfy everyone though, maybe we could win the league, write to the SPFL declining our promotion and offering it to team 2, and we could get ready for next season, stadium included. Play for the sake of the game?

Twitter 上的H Paul O'Donnell:"@TheTallyVic @Jan_Lewicki ...

Thank you.

Last nights result means that today is a free pop for us really.

Win and we've got one hand on the title but a draw is also a good result. Even a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world - it'd be a bit of a shitter momentum wise and the easily excited on here would be all over it, but with Cove at Dens next week, a hugely better GD than QP and it's still going down to a final day shoot-out which was the expectation before QP mucked it up yet again.

It'd be nice to kill it all but off today though but I don't think we will since the last away win we had was a 0-2 win against Ayr on the 23rd December (beating Cove away doesn't count).

Edited by Ludo*1

16 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Not trying to kid anyone. The prism Dundee fans look through is narrow. Which is why you’ll be up and doon like a hoors knickers for the foreseeable. If you’re happy with that, fair enough.

I'm not seeing how the prism that Dundee fans look through, narrow or otherwise, dictates our success, or lack of, on the park.  

It's looking more and more likely we'll get another shot at staying up next season and, as always, we'll be looking to consolidate our position in the top league.  

21 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m thinking more of next season. Everything we’ve been set up for will be at risk with an early entry into the Premiership. First team minutes has been rare enough for most of our young stars this season and will be near impossible in the top league.

Ross County, Hamilton and Falkirk were three clubs highly regarded for their youth and community programmes 15-20 years ago. Between them they’ve discovered that if you want to be in the top tier you have to be buying. If you can’t keep pace with that, tier  2/3 is where you end up. Beuker’s model is very intriguing and would easily be workable in tiers 3/4, probably tier 2. To be the success that he had at Alkmaar will take much longer. If that’s the path we’re on, another couple of years in the Championship would be workable.

To satisfy everyone though, maybe we could win the league, write to the SPFL declining our promotion and offering it to team 2, and we could get ready for next season, stadium included. Play for the sake of the game?

Declining promotion. The state of QP fans.

Same story then even after this weekend, only ourselves to worry about. I really don't see it happening, but there were definitely glimpses of improvement last night, we just need to start scoring again. Two very tough games to end the season though!