Raith vs Cove, 18/3/2023

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’d have Nolan signed for next season by now, if it were up to me. Has improved as the season’s gone on and you can see the confidence that getting game time under his belt has given him. Him and Lang are good centre half pairing for the Championship. 

I’m with you on that. I was sceptical of Nolan to begin with. But week on week the improvement is showing. Also adding a bullet header to his list of accomplishments. I’d be happy if he signed on again.

Over the last 4 or 5 years,  Arbroath have kept pretty much the same core back line and saw huge dividends from it until this season despite not really having any outstanding players in there. You'd not look at any of Hamilton, Little, O'Brien or (before he left) Thomson and think "I'd be delighted if we brought them in" but the familiarity as a unit meant that defensively they were outstanding. I'd be quite happy if we did the same with Dick, Nolan, Lang and Millen. None of them are world beaters, but it beats having a rebuild job when they're all solid at this level. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Over the last 4 or 5 years,  Arbroath have kept pretty much the same core back line and saw huge dividends from it until this season despite not really having any outstanding players in there. You'd not look at any of Hamilton, Little, O'Brien or (before he left) Thomson and think "I'd be delighted if we brought them in" but the familiarity as a unit meant that defensively they were outstanding. I'd be quite happy if we did the same with Dick, Nolan, Lang and Millen. None of them are world beaters, but it beats having a rebuild job when they're all solid at this level. 

And therein lies the challenge - keeping them all.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

56 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

And therein lies the challenge - keeping them all.

The good news is we should have the funds now, will the players be willing? Millen is signed; Nolan, Lang and Dick should be doable, with the only real threat to sign them perhaps the second promoted League One team, if two make it up…I don’t see Dunfermline feeling the need to completely rejigger their back line. If that’s the interest, we still have about a month to sign them.

Of the three, Lang might attract some interest from above (but Nolan is getting there too)…could potentially be of some interest to a lower half Scottish Premiership team, but if we move sharply, I’d hope we could retain them. If we’re signing them up, I’d hope Lang and Nolan are on two year deals, Dick I’m OK with one or two. We should also get Young and Masson signed on, they both have looked like good backups for next year.

I'd like to think that Lang would have a bit of loyalty to us after being out for so long, but as with any other player we'd love to re-sign, the fly in the ointment is a certain Mr Sim who may want the bulk of prize money to fund the repairs or offset the losses in light of no takeover being on the table 

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I'd like to think that Lang would have a bit of loyalty to us after being out for so long, but as with any other player we'd love to re-sign, the fly in the ointment is a certain Mr Sim who may want the bulk of prize money to fund the repairs or offset the losses in light of no takeover being on the table 

That’s the issue here…what I’d love to know is how the players feel about this situation.

Lang, you’d like to think would feel loyal…and certainly, having seen us stand behind Lewis, he must feel something…but I too wonder. Nolan, we gave him the chance, but does that mean he’d take a lesser offer from us, or just that we might get preferred status on an equal offer? Dick, does he like it here enough to prefer us to another offer? Young is getting development finally, and Masson seems to be developing well, so at least those two seem likely to stay.

if we could get at least Lang and Nolan on two year deals, plus the rest on one year deals (prefer Young and Masson on twos though), we’d be easily set for the next year (or two) needing a couple of CH’s for depth only. Add to that a pretty settled midfield for next year, and we could have serious ambitions, if we can solve the striker riddle. This team certainly seems to be coming together now (in true IM fashion?).