Passport Queue(s)

Blink182

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Crap, how bad are the delays now? The time frame isn’t deeply important, but just trying to get an idea of how much longer the delays are getting. The kiddo’s application for a first UK passport is in the mail…let me guess, they are striking too.

Lucky b*****d, the UK arrivals used to allow that kind of guest access for families of UK passport holders, but the last visit they had changed policies and kicked me and company into the bowel of hell (non-UK/EU passports at that time).

I Assume you were travelling with children too young to use the egates? Those are an option for US citizens and usually the queues aren't bad. 

The passport office is indeed on strike. My daughter's passport renewal was turned around in about three weeks before the strike, but obviously that'll take a bit longer now. This was back in March. When you do get it, take care with it - the quality of the passport is absolutely fucking crap. My current one would survive an accidental spillage of liquid, but the new ones seem like they would not. Very sturdy and good quality photocard in fairness, but the passport front cover feels very flimsy. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I Assume you were travelling with children too young to use the egates? Those are an option for US citizens and usually the queues aren't bad. 

The passport office is indeed on strike. My daughter's passport renewal was turned around in about three weeks before the strike, but obviously that'll take a bit longer now. This was back in March. When you do get it, take care with it - the quality of the passport is absolutely fucking crap. My current one would survive an accidental spillage of liquid, but the new ones seem like they would not. Very sturdy and good quality photocard in fairness, but the passport front cover feels very flimsy. 

We haven’t been since the 2019 change for U.S. citizens to use e-gates, so that’s useful to know. COVID has screwed everything up.

• 3 months later...

Bit of a pain in the arse at Schipol. took the guts of an hour to clear passport control coming in.

In fairness though they were checking boarding passes and if your boarding time for a connecting flight was less than half an hour they fast tracked you through.

It was a time to remember the good old days, as you got closer to the gates, seeing the fast flowing queue through the EU passport automatic gates :(

2 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

It was a time to remember the good old days, as you got closer to the gates, seeing the fast flowing queue through the EU passport automatic gates :(

What is slightly frustrating is that the UK egates are happy to accept EU passports, whilst EU egates will not accept UK passports.

At airports without egates it doesn't make any difference as queue times, from experience, are about the same as before.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What is slightly frustrating is that the UK egates are happy to accept EU passports, whilst EU egates will not accept UK passports.

At airports without egates it doesn't make any difference as queue times, from experience, are about the same as before.

The reason for this is that there aren't enough Officers. UK airport immigration would be in permanent meltdown if EU travellers weren't allowed to use them. 

I agree it's annoying, though. Although once ETIAS is finally up and running the egates in the EU should be usable once more. 

Edited by Michael W

On 31/08/2023 at 21:43, Todd_is_God said:

was in spain last week and was directed to use the eutomatic gates, hardly any wait either and wasn't checked on the way out

• 2 weeks later...

Not a passport queue post but if City airport is one of your options for flying out of London from then take it. In addition to the obvious ease of getting to and from the airport they have the scanners where you don’t need to take your laptop or liquids out of your bag when going through security. Roll on their introduction elsewhere.

• 3 months later...
On 14/09/2023 at 11:42, Frosty said:

Not a passport queue post but if City airport is one of your options for flying out of London from then take it. In addition to the obvious ease of getting to and from the airport they have the scanners where you don’t need to take your laptop or liquids out of your bag when going through security. Roll on their introduction elsewhere.

Must agree that City was an absolute doddle for security. Made a change to have the security people yelling at people to leave everything IN their bags. Girl in front of me had 1 litre water bottle she was trying to guzzle, and the boy on the scanner yelled at her to just put it in the scanner, it’ll be OK…she looked absolutely perplexed.

On 04/01/2024 at 18:00, TxRover said:

Must agree that City was an absolute doddle for security. Made a change to have the security people yelling at people to leave everything IN their bags. Girl in front of me had 1 litre water bottle she was trying to guzzle, and the boy on the scanner yelled at her to just put it in the scanner, it’ll be OK…she looked absolutely perplexed.

Dublin Airport had them in November. Absolute game changer. Mental how long the 100ml grift has been allowed to continue! 

Had meant to mention that Stansted had a few of the new scanners that don’t require liquids or electronics to be removed from bags when I flew out last year. Used Stansted again last week and they are in the process of replacing all their scanners for these new versions. There will be fewer scanners than currently but should still make for a faster security process.

The new scanners are currently in a room on the left as you come through the main security entrance so if you have the choice favour that side as you enter. Coats and belts only still need to be removed.

On 20/01/2024 at 20:19, highlandmac said:

Exactly,nothing but a scam

I don't get how it's a scam, who benefits? (Little plastic bag manufacturers I suppose..)

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get how it's a scam, who benefits? (Little plastic bag manufacturers I suppose..)

2 or 3 quid for a bottle of water because you cant take any through with you?scam all day long