June fixtures

Merkie84

Last year we played Ukraine on 1st June with the EPL, Serie A and Belgian based players playing until Sunday 22nd May, the Hearts and Rangers players being involved in the cup final on Saturday 21st May and McKenna and Robertson involved the weekend after that so the majority were involved in squads playing until 10-11 days before our first game so I can't imagine they were idle for long before joining up with the Scotland squad . The English Championship players finished up early May but I'm almost certain they went to a training camp in St Andrews to keep themselves fit until the seasons were done for the other teams.

It doesn't seem like there was as much of an opportunity for a training camp for the majority of the squad last year regardless of McGinn saying they've learned from it.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

28 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Last year we played Ukraine on 1st June with the EPL, Serie A and Belgian based players playing until Sunday 22nd May, the Hearts and Rangers players being involved in the cup final on Saturday 21st May and McKenna and Robertson involved the weekend after that so the majority were involved in squads playing until 10-11 days before our first game so I can't imagine they were idle for long before joining up with the Scotland squad . The English Championship players finished up early May but I'm almost certain they went to a training camp in St Andrews to keep themselves fit until the seasons we done for the other teams.

It doesn't seem like there was as much of an opportunity for a training camp for the majority of the squad last year regardless of McGinn saying they've learned from it.

Scotland went to La Finca before Euro 2020 and we didn't have a particularly good tournament so I think the situations and contexts are different each year which affects the decision making and it's futile to compare them or start saying if only we'd done that last year. The main story for me is that we are going to fill the time between the end of the club season and the ECQ in June with a training camp which seems like a reasonable thing to do. 

Can't wait to see links made between our results and playing matches in the month of June if we lose to Norway.  

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Last year we played Ukraine on 1st June with the EPL, Serie A and Belgian based players playing until Sunday 22nd May, the Hearts and Rangers players being involved in the cup final on Saturday 21st May and McKenna and Robertson involved the weekend after that so the majority were involved in squads playing until 10-11 days before our first game so I can't imagine they were idle for long before joining up with the Scotland squad . The English Championship players finished up early May but I'm almost certain they went to a training camp in St Andrews to keep themselves fit until the seasons were done for the other teams.

I think having a few weeks between the end of the club season and the June international break is good for Scotland this time. Am I right in saying only Scott McTominay and Callum McGregor have a club game the first weekend in June? Everyone else has a 3 week window between the club season ending and the first Scotland game. 

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I think having a few weeks between the end of the club season and the June international break is good for Scotland this time. Am I right in saying only Scott McTominay and Callum McGregor have a club game the first weekend in June? Everyone else has a 3 week window between the club season ending and the first Scotland game. 

The players playing in Italy and Belgium also have a club game the first weekend in June.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Hendry too as the Belgian league has 2 games left but with Deila taking over at Club Brugge and Hendry just coming back from injury it remains to be seen how much he'll be involved.

Interestingly (or not) a lot of the Norway squad are playing in countries where the leagues will be finishing 1st week in June or are summer leagues so there's less opportunity for them to get the full squad together earlier than usual.

Based on the last squad plus Haaland

3 in Italy
1 at Leipzig (in German cup final)
7 in Norway
2 in France
2 in Spain
Haaland in the Champions League final

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Any indication of when the squad's going to be announced?

Probably Tuesday the 6th or Wednesday the 7th? Think that's the usual timeframe before the first game.

On 24/05/2023 at 22:56, KingRocketman II said:

that says no formal request had been made. And even if it had, one request 5 years ago with no apparent suggestion of a pilot re-introduction hardly an open and shut case. Would love to hear the reasons for maintaining the ban following a formal request when considered against all the other countries/events who have no such ban. 

Anyway, I would say the laughable argument amongst many remains - "if you can't go 2 hours without needing a drink, then there is something wrong with you"....

I think any request would be a complete waste of time given the Scottish government’s attitude to alcohol. I would be astonished if they introduced any measures which made alcohol more readily available.

On 26/05/2023 at 11:39, accies1874 said:

Probably Tuesday the 6th or Wednesday the 7th? Think that's the usual timeframe before the first game.

It wouldn't surprise me if the squad was named this week coming. If there is a training camp taking place then that could move the squad announcement date forward. Just heard on the radio that it might be tomorrow.

Edited by 2426255

image.thumb.png.891a06308a9e1319fdbadbd2863e2068.png

Percentage of minutes played in their last 5 games at club level by Scotland players called up in the last 12 months. Overall, our English Premier League players seem to be getting more minutes than they were before the March camp.

Adams will be a huge miss, particularly in Oslo, but it says a lot for how we are right now that I don’t really look at these squad announcements and worry about X player not being in the squad. 

Edited by PSJ.84

CB is a little light. Porteous is a nailed on starter now, Tierney will be at LCB and the other spot is up for grabs. Hendry, Souttar and Cooper have barely played, and Hyam hasn't got a cap yet. 

No Adams is also a shame, but with Lyndon then we're fine.

I think that's the first time that Adams hasn't been named in an initial squad since he was first called up? Good level commitment from someone who folk, including me, were sceptical of. 

I also don't believe that Nisbet and Shankland have ever been named in a squad together as they both sort of fit that typical 'Third Striker in a Squad' profile.