June fixtures

Merkie84

53 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Points table updated today, looks like possibly 18 or 19 points to guarantee a ticket for Norway.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scotland/supporters-tickets/scotland-supporters-club-membership/ssc-loyalty-points/

Looks like it’ll be a closed shop for all upcoming away games. 

Those who go to every away game should definitely be rewarded but it’s going to be impossible for anyone new to get an away ticket if they’re stuck on a maximum of 12 points.

The only one that might drop low enough is Georgia but the time and cost to get there will be prohibitive to many. 

It'll be difficult for someone who is completely brand new to the SSC but anyone who is renewing had the opportunity to get to 5 of the last 10 away games without any points, Ireland dropped down to 12 and Armenia to 9 so the opportunity was there to build up points.  Just been an unfortunate group in terms of away ties this time round unless Spain give us a decent allocation whenever they finally announce the venue.

Nations League Group A next year in theory should give us the chance of some decent allocations to build up points since a fair number will be against bigger nations with bigger stadia.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If there's a friendly against France that might be a way in.

I have a feeling that it’ll be in a 20-30k stadium given the Rugby World Cup is on. We won’t get much of an away allocation from that.

35 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It'll be difficult for someone who is completely brand new to the SSC but anyone who is renewing had the opportunity to get to 5 of the last 10 away games without any points, Ireland dropped down to 12 and Armenia to 9 so the opportunity was there to build up points.  Just been an unfortunate group in terms of away ties this time round unless Spain give us a decent allocation whenever they finally announce the venue.

Nations League Group A next year in theory should give us the chance of some decent allocations to build up points since a fair number will be against bigger nations with bigger stadia.

Looking at the away games since covid:

Turkey: 0 points 

Ukraine: 18 points

Armenia: 9 points

Ireland: 12 points

Austria: 0 points 

Moldova: 25 points

Faroe Islands: 17 points

3/7 impossible to get unless you already have away points. Ireland would only be possible if you had been to all of the last 10 home games and been a member for the last 3 campaigns.

Armenia dropped to 9 (just), although it was the fourth game of the window and about as far away in Europe as you can get.

That just leaves two obtainable games; Turkey, which was played on the border with Syria and Austria, which I believe still had some covid restrictions at the time.

They could maybe make it so a certain number of tickets get balloted to members regardless of their points total or have an overall ballot with those at the top more likely to get tickets. I’m not sure if those options are fairer but it definitely is tricky to get on the ladder. There’ll be plenty who’ve travelled to Dublin and maybe other places, gone in the home end due to availability and not been able to progress up the points table.

The whole situation makes it very difficult to plan away trips. Countries leave it late to announce where the game will be played, tickets are only confirmed a few weeks before so if you’re borderline for points then you could be travelling empty handed, piss poor allocations in places like Moldova, flights getting more expensive etc. 

There may not be a fairer way and it is a byproduct of having a good team but it is a ball-ache trying to follow this team across Europe at the moment.

On 31/03/2023 at 04:38, Merkie84 said:

Still buzzing from Tuesday night and really looking forward to the next games. 

Glad the next game is away to Norway. I felt when the draw was made that would be the key fixture and still believe that.  Going into that on a high is the best possible preparation if we can take something from that, it would be huge. 
after Tuesday and recent good away performances, why not? 

I think if can suffocte any supply to Haaland , we have a good chance.

Georgia give me the fear, would rather the fixtures were the other way round. A tired,  leggy Scotland toiling to break down an average but well organised team full of fight. Will be tight but hopefully can edge it. 

Spain sitting stewing till September. They are getting slaughtered by their press and expect a reaction in their next games. Hopefully take out their wrath on Georgia and beat them comfortably.
Or do we want them to struggle again and draw with Georgia? 

How do we think it will go? 

2 weeks after your post and Hanley is out long term. We’ll need to hope that we can avoid any more serious injuries before the June fixtures. 

A0F13FCA-4BC2-4E34-8B28-91639CEE5F22.jpeg

Edited by Scary Bear

11 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I have a feeling that it’ll be in a 20-30k stadium given the Rugby World Cup is on. We won’t get much of an away allocation from that.

Looking at the away games since covid:

Turkey: 0 points 

Ukraine: 18 points

Armenia: 9 points

Ireland: 12 points

Austria: 0 points 

Moldova: 25 points

Faroe Islands: 17 points

3/7 impossible to get unless you already have away points. Ireland would only be possible if you had been to all of the last 10 home games and been a member for the last 3 campaigns.

Armenia dropped to 9 (just), although it was the fourth game of the window and about as far away in Europe as you can get.

That just leaves two obtainable games; Turkey, which was played on the border with Syria and Austria, which I believe still had some covid restrictions at the time.

They could maybe make it so a certain number of tickets get balloted to members regardless of their points total or have an overall ballot with those at the top more likely to get tickets. I’m not sure if those options are fairer but it definitely is tricky to get on the ladder. There’ll be plenty who’ve travelled to Dublin and maybe other places, gone in the home end due to availability and not been able to progress up the points table.

The whole situation makes it very difficult to plan away trips. Countries leave it late to announce where the game will be played, tickets are only confirmed a few weeks before so if you’re borderline for points then you could be travelling empty handed, piss poor allocations in places like Moldova, flights getting more expensive etc. 

There may not be a fairer way and it is a byproduct of having a good team but it is a ball-ache trying to follow this team across Europe at the moment.

I’m possibly being naive or too positive but for Ireland if we had a 2500 allocation and if that went down to 12 points I would think if we can get any stadiums with a similar allocation I would expect it to drop further than that given how much easier Ireland is to get to than anyone else in our group is.

On 11/04/2023 at 13:12, 2426255 said:

Looking ahead to June games it's easy to see how the good feeling could change direction. I was listening back to a podcast and plenty of pundits and fans were saying they think we'll qualify on the back of beating Spain but the group will look very different if we lose away to Norway especially since Norway and Georgia are having their turns to take on Cyprus. 

4 or 6 points would be a dream outcomes for the camp as a whole and if we achieve that I'd say that's us all but qualified. 2 or 3 points would be okay and wouldn't be too damaging. Back to back head to heads against our main rivals for 2nd place so this is going to be a hell of a camp.

image.png.c6a929fb4d617fec4ecc31b6510bd228.png

Which podcast, out of interest? Been searching for a Scottish based one that I’m into for a while. 

12 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Which podcast, out of interest? Been searching for a Scottish based one that I’m into for a while. 

Given their recent personal knowledge/contacts with the National Team I tend to listen to Go Radio episodes with one or both of John McGinn's brother Stephen and Peter Grant who I find insightful and quite close to the ground when looking for the finer details of what's going on in the National team particularly during the international windows.

The field is quite thin for Scotland National Team coverage let alone good coverage but will also pick and choose from the Scottish Football Podcast and Hampden Roar depending on who's involved and rarely PLZ. 

Will be interesting to see what happens between the end of the season and the next round of qualifiers given the provisional dates are showing at least a 2 week break and in other cases potentially up to a six week gap. 

image.png.fa5b4d18dcf37673bcfdf828bb09dd4f.png

Ireland have made extensive preparations but most of their players play in the EFL which finishes early in May and they have a game away in Greece to acclimatise for.

We have extensive preparations in relation to the six week gap between the end of the Championship and the game against Greece. We have a four day training camp at Bristol City a couple of weeks after the season ends and we're going to Turkey for nine days preparing for Greece.

Stephen Kenny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP4WFpT2zCs&t=325s

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

On 20 myself so glad to have just squeezed in. Looking forward to this one more than any for a while.  

19 for me, so even more of a squeeze! My partner's on 15 so, she's going to struggle, but we've had that issue before and managed to get home end ticket so, awk I'm sure it'll be fine. 

If not, well, that'll be a her problem.  

Looking forward to it as well, should be some trip. 

On 13/04/2023 at 17:15, craigkillie said:

McKenna was back on the bench for Forest at the weekend so should have some games under his belt by the time these come around.

Souttar back for Rangers too so plenty of options at the back 

22 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Could this be because they don't want to give Norway a bigger allocation for Hampden?

I suspect this will be the case and Norway will have held back tickets in hope of a reciprocal agreement but the SFA have already sold out the game at Hampden (or the SFA version of sold out where tickets will become available nearer the time but they've sold out the sections next to the away end already).

Pish for those who just miss out on Norway away tickets or now buy these tickets but then don't get the points for it.