Ayr ⚫️⚪️ v 🔵⚪️ Morton

This is a huge game regardless, but if Partick win on Friday night, then a win puts up two points below second with QP at home still to come. It really is a massive few weeks, and the positivity could come back very quickly (to come crashing down again the following week obviously)

Neither side is going up, so neither side "needs" anything really. With Partick and Queens Park playing each other you'd like to think this would be a big chance to make up ground but in reality this simply lays out the excuses a full week early (much like getting comfortably beaten by the team in eighth was "because any team in this division can beat any other")

You never know what Ayr side you're going to get, but a score draw sounds likely.

For me the inconsistency this season has been difficult.  For a neutral, whoever they may be, it is probably a huge attraction to the championship, but it messes with you and does your head in.  Are we good?  Are we shite?  Are we challenging?  Are we treading water?

As I’ve said previously, you really couldn’t rule out ANY score in this game and be shocked any more.

Win or bust for us - our form isn't great coming into this. Hopefully Imrie drops A Crawford onto the bench, and replaces him with McGrattan. I was hopeful Jai might be in from the start as well, but given Imrie's comments about him post match on Saturday I can't see him starting. 

Feels a bit like the last game at Cappielow. The away team going into it on a bit of a downer thinking their season is all but over with very few fans thinking they would pick up 3 points only to walk away a convincing win.  I'm hoping Sat has the same outcome.

Fail to win and it's all but over for us and it will be a rather disappointing end to the season after being in and around the top 4 for much of the season. 3 wins in our last 14 league games is simply not good enough. Only 3 wins on the road all season too. 

Ayr looked poor against Arbroath whereas we battered them for pretty much 90 minutes so that's giving me an ounce of hope.

Incredibly, the playoffs are still in our own hands, if that is still the case come Sat night, I'll be delighted.

My concern here is that Imrie is still talking as if we should have won on Saturday, based on some notion that you just convert all the chances you make, which is no way to think about the effectiveness of your line-up. The other side of that coin -- which is in some ways even more worrying -- is that he isn't acknowledging, in public at least, that the way we've set up recently makes us far too likely to concede.

Get back to 4-3-3, get Robbie Crawford (my player of the year, btw) back into the middle of the park, and get Ali boy onto the bench. The rest can look after itself (proviso: no Muirhead or Miller on the right).

Also have a feeling McGrattan will get a start here; some laugh if he plays and we win, sending 'that stat' into interplanetary orbit...

Two more things:

Spoiler

People suggesting Imrie is picking his 'mates' are straight-out deranged. He's trying to shoe-horn in the guys he thinks are our best players; he can be a. wrong about who they actually are; and b. wrong to try and squeeze them all in... but stop with this 'mates' pish in the context of professional football, where his reputation ultimately rests on how well his teams perform.

Spoiler

Mon the fuckin Ton

28 minutes ago, Hursty said:

We are so inconsistent it's actually becoming to look quite consistent, so this seems like a hard fought home win to me.

Screenshot_20230404_215354_Flashscore.jpg

If we draw all those games and are lauded for being unbeaten = 7 points

Real life, 4 defeats followed by meltdowns & 3 wins = 9 points

Win them all, league won = 21 points 😢

On 04/04/2023 at 13:47, madton said:

Ayr looked poor against Arbroath whereas we battered them for pretty much 90 minutes so that's giving me an ounce of hope.

I disagree that Ayr played poorly on Friday. They moved the ball quite well and created enough chances - especially shots around the edge of the box. Arbroath's defence was excellent in putting bodies on the line to stop any breakthrough. That situation however is our long-standing weakness - letting players shoot unchallenged from any distance and then looking gormlessly when it goes in the bottom corner, like the first goal on Saturday. If both teams play like they did at the weekend, Ayr will win for that reason alone. 

That being said, our performances have not been so poor that there's little chance of winning ourselves. There needs to be a much more committed, hard-running approach brought back to the midfield and forward line, but if we restore some of that balance then we can win. The big problem is that we now have to win this game, having contrived to blow up our last two home games. 

Edited by vikingTON

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

I disagree that Ayr played poorly on Friday. They moved the ball quite well and created enough chances - especially shots around the edge of the box. Arbroath's defence was excellent in putting bodies on the line to stop any breakthrough.

Good to read a reasoned interpretation of an Ayr United Game. Thank You.

We were the better 'looking' team between the two 18 Yard boxes, but lacked composure and a decent ball into the box.

This has been the most infuriating thing ALL season; a lack of shitty goals, whilst retaining an ability to give away shitty goals ( 0-2 against Queens Park ) ( Falkirk's Winner in Quarter Final )

An Ayr win or draw probably kills Morton in the playoff race. We need to be much better than Friday night. I'd go something like: Albinson, McAllister, Musonda, McGinty, Reading*, O'Connor, Dempsey, Murdoch, Mitchell-Lawson, Maguire, Akinyemi

*There is no one else