Peterhead v Edinburgh

6 hours ago, peternapper said:

The owners/board seemed to totally alienate the following they had & will be difficult to build up a new generation of supporters. The ground does nothing to attract folk and is the only one after being once probably will not go back to. Although possibly would be knocked back by other teams you wonder how they would get on playing Friday nights although not ideal they vacated Ainslie Park when Meadowbank not suitable for league football.

We played them on the Friday night of the international week a couple of weeks back and it was pretty busy. They never announced a crowd publicly but it was certainly more than the 500 seats, looked about 700, and there seemed to be a fair few Hibs fans there, although they largely seemed to be there to see Kevin Dabrowski play for us rather than to see Edinburgh! 

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

4hours to Dumfries from Ellon (I think one of your posts mentioned you live there) is good going. It's a journey I did many times back in 81/82 when commissioning the original power station. Pretty sure it used to take me 5 hrs (just south of Dumfries to Peterhead)

Yeah but did you not post you usually came via Edinburgh too? You're adding half an hour doing that.

4 hrs to Peterhead is pretty decent though one would assume on saturday evening roads were probably fairly quiet. I think I did Aberdeen in about 3 hrs earlier in the season. I stayed there overnight both sides of the game so didnt drive direct to Peterhead. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We played them on the Friday night of the international week a couple of weeks back and it was pretty busy. They never announced a crowd publicly but it was certainly more than the 500 seats, looked about 700, and there seemed to be a fair few Hibs fans there, although they largely seemed to be there to see Kevin Dabrowski play for us rather than to see Edinburgh! 

Yeah but did you not post you usually came via Edinburgh too? You're adding half an hour doing that.

4 hrs to Peterhead is pretty decent though one would assume on saturday evening roads were probably fairly quiet. I think I did Aberdeen in about 3 hrs earlier in the season. I stayed there overnight both sides of the game so didnt drive direct to Peterhead. 

Just tried the Edinburgh way earlier in the year as according to Google it was just about 10mins longer, with the connection between the motorways could not reach the bypass so came to a halt on Queensferry Road. Going down this last time 4hrs included about a 20min delay at the Broxden Roundabout at Perth & my stop at the Horn. Was expecting the road from Moffatt to Dumfries to be much worse than it was. Ellon is 18 miles south of Peterhead.

Edited by peternapper

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you read those posts you'll note that it was 1981/2 when I worked up there. Back then the A74 wasn't a motorway, just a horrible often slow, unsafe dual carriageway and places like Forfar, Laurencekirk, Stonehaven and Aberdeen weren't bypassed so I had to go through those places.

As I mentioned in the much earlier post, over the 2 years I tried every possible combination of routes to try to find the best way and sometimes because of poor weather conditions. I think the shortest I did it was 252 miles and I think that was up the Beef Tub via Penicuik. I did also say that sometimes I'd deviate purely for a change of scenery ... maybe I'm unique, but I do suffer from boredom driving the same boring roads ad infinitum - even to this day I'll sometimes go down to games via the Dalveen Pass, simply because it's such a beautiful (and quiet) drive. I have a habit of bucking convention though, I guess it's in my DNA, and I like to explore the country I live in.

17 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

4hours to Dumfries from Ellon (I think one of your posts mentioned you live there) is good going. It's a journey I did many times back in 81/82 when commissioning the original power station. Pretty sure it used to take me 5 hrs (just south of Dumfries to Peterhead) but places like Forfar, Laurencekirk and Stonehaven weren't bypassed then, nor was Aberdeen (used to tear along the beach road). My abiding memory was overtaking the fish trucks to avoid the fishy ice spray on the windscreen and then not stopping for a pee cos I'd have to pass the trucks all over again. Used to arrive at the power station and make a bee line straight for the loo before talking to anyone. Happy days. 😂

Thanks for reminding me of how crappy that route was back then. 

Forever rooted in the memory.

The difference now is immeasurable. 

1 hour ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Thanks for reminding me of how crappy that route was back then. 

Forever rooted in the memory.

The difference now is immeasurable. 

No probs. Happy to please. 😎

On 10/04/2023 at 09:19, Tenkay said:

The first game was the same day as an "old firm game" so travelling west best avoided, second game was on 2nd January so no trains and people on holiday.

I was at the 2nd January game (which was a storming encounter - 5-3) and there must have been at least 24 in the away section. 

Airdrie still ran out of pies though....