Pars promotion tour- next stop Peterhead.

First half was absolute fucking garbage though. Slow paced, poor placed passing and shaky asf at the back. We were 2nd best the 1st half to the bottom side. If that doesn't make it absolute fucking garbage then your bar is way lower than mine.

Edited by Heaton

Went along as a neutral last night (with my PHD Ultra flag and dressed all in blue).  Dunfermline just had a bit more composure. Lost count of the number of times Peterhead just launched the ball into the box for Bene (loves a moan) to header away.  They could have played all night and not scored.

Wasn't overly impressed with Dunfermline.  Spoke with the club photographer at half time and he said that this is basically how they've been all season. Solid at the back and with just enough quality up top to take the win.  Exactly what happened 2nd half last night!  I imagine there will be a few new signings for life in the Championship.

2 penalty shouts in the first half.  Second one which was a handball looked like a pen but I was at the other end of the ground.  

Can you let Matty Todd lift the trophy for you?  Ta.

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

First half was absolute fucking garbage though. Slow paced, poor placed passing and shaky asf at the back. We were 2nd best the 1st half to the bottom side. If that doesn't make it absolute fucking garbage then your bar is way lower than mine.

Maybe so. I just didn't see any real need for panic. Did Peterhead have any chances? No.

I was reasonably confident we would win the game with relative ease the longer it went on. It went the way of most away games this season.

Routine win.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

2 penalty shouts in the first half.  Second one which was a handball looked like a pen but I was at the other end of the ground.  

Aye clear penalty, referee knew he fucked it once he walked away he didn't look confident at all of his decision. One of the benefits of being about 6ft away from the incident.

I don't think the 1st half was brutal - not in the context of what we've seen this season.  Peterhead came at us in the first 15 minutes, clearly boosted by getting a win on Saturday, and we just about dealt with it.  After that, we grew into the game and created a couple of openings.  We didn't look particularly slick but we were playing against the wind and looked more in control by half time.

Maybe you could be more harsh but that would be to judge the game in isolation rather than in the context of what we've seen throughout the season.  We're frequently underwhelming in the first 45 and run over sides after that.  To be fair, we didn't even start the 2nd half that well but cut them open, scored, made a couple of changes, did the same again and saw it out comfortably.

Rather than look at our attacking prowess, that's 19 clean sheets from 32 games and, again, we didn't really look like losing a goal at any time. 

In truth, we're not a great side, but McPake and co have put together a unit capable of grinding out enough results to get us out of this league.  The dynamics in Scottish football have changed at this level since the last time we were here - we saw last summer how difficult it was to get in full time players who were happy to play in League One e.g. Robbie Crawford training for us for a couple of weeks but holding out for something "better", which ended up being Morton. 

It's maybe different if you have a financial backer prepared to throw excess cash at it, but there's no signs that our guys will do that.  As such, we've got together what we could, brought in some good loanees, and dragged ourselves through the season.  It has been pretty turgid viewing at times but, to date, it has been more effective than many of us imagined. 

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis

16 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I don't think the 1st half was brutal - not in the context of what we've seen this season.  Peterhead came at us in the first 15 minutes, clearly boosted by getting a win on Saturday, and we just about dealt with it.  After that, we grew into the game and created a couple of openings.  We didn't look particularly slick but we were playing against the wind and looked more in control by half time.

Maybe you could be more harsh but that would be to judge the game in isolation rather than in the context of what we've seen throughout the season.  We're frequently underwhelming in the first 45 and run over sides after that.  To be fair, we didn't even start the 2nd half that well but cut them open, scored, made a couple of changes, did the same again and saw it out comfortably.

Rather than look at our attacking prowess, that's 18 clean sheets from 31 games and, again, we didn't really look like losing a goal at any time. 

In truth, we're not a great side, but McPake and co have put together a unit capable of grinding out enough results to get us out of this league.  The dynamics in Scottish football have changed at this level since the last time we were here - we saw last summer how difficult it was to get in full time players who were happy to play in League One e.g. Robbie Crawford training for us for a couple of weeks but holding out for something "better", which ended up being Morton. 

It's maybe different if you have a financial backer prepared to throw excess cash at it, but there's no signs that our guys will do that.  As such, we've got together what we could, brought in some good loanees, and dragged ourselves through the season.  It has been pretty turgid viewing at times but, to date, it has been more effective than many of us imagined. 

Excellent post

26 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Rather than look at our attacking prowess, that's 18 clean sheets from 31 games and, again, we didn't really look like losing a goal at any time. 

19 from 32 actually. Did you forget to include last night’s game?

Agree with your post. I’ve enjoyed watching us this season. It’s not been free-flowing attacking football. But it’s a team that has been ridiculously well drilled/organised and have earned every single point they have got. The manager was tasked with getting us out of here as quickly as possible and there’s no doubt, that will be achieved. Everyone knows we need to strengthen for next season. I think McPake has shown that he knows what he’s looking for in players, so I have no doubt we’ll add quality to the squad.

Also worth adding, I remember commenting in January/February that I thought we needed more players. But I pointed out that the manager/board would deserve praise if they had got it right by not spending more than required to win the league. Well, they got it right. We know we have a significant financial backing, but that’s mainly to improve facilities/academy. We may see a bit more investment in the first team next season, I don’t know. But we didn’t need more this season and got out of here without any stars/expensive signings. A lot of teams (like Falkirk) get relegated and throw money at players in a desperate attempt to get out of the league. It’s pleasing that we’ve got out of here without doing that.

Yeah, I didn't add in last night.  I've changed the original post as it would have annoyed me knowing it was wrong!

To be fair, they brought in Otoo and McGowan - with the former in particular being a pretty valuable addition given that Edwards missed a game and now Breen is injured.  Didn't cover himself in glory on Saturday by the looks of the goals (I wasn't there though, so maybe he steadied in the 2nd half) and made a couple of rash decisions last night, but he's slotted in well in general and is comfortable bringing the ball out of defence.

I do get the feeling that Benedictus, at this level, is a bit like Brewster, just at the other end of the park.  Put a competent centre back beside him and he'll make him better.