Ayr v QP

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even if he is impartial it’s a massive conflict for him to be in charge of any Ayr or Kilmarnock game. I’m sure Steve Clarke called him out as letting it affect his performance which led to his DKB father stepping down from being a club ambassador. 

He is unpopular with Kilmarnock fans too. He sent off three Killie players in a match against Aberdeen. An historical precedent was three Killie players getting sent off against Ayr and his Dad was one of them. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian said:

He is unpopular with Kilmarnock fans too. He sent off three Killie players in a match against Aberdeen. An historical precedent was three Killie players getting sent off against Ayr and his Dad was one of them. 

If in any particular situation a person finds himself hated by both sides of a bitter feud, there is a better-than-even chance that said person is just a complete shitehawk.

14 hours ago, Thumper said:

Careful now. You're almost suggesting that stopping footballers from betting on games that they were directly affected by is unworkable.

I'm not sure what betting has to do with anything? But anyway, Scottish footballers, and anyone involved in football in Scotland, are banned from betting on any football worldwide, not just games they're directly affected by.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure what betting has to do with anything? But anyway, Scottish footballers, and anyone involved in football in Scotland, are banned from betting on any football worldwide, not just games they're directly affected by.

So why are referees permitted to officiate matches when they have potential conflicts of interest?

If I'm Elon Musk do I get to argue that it wouldn't be feasible to apply insider trading laws to me because I own too many companies?

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So why are referees permitted to officiate matches when they have potential conflicts of interest?

If I'm Elon Musk do I get to argue that it wouldn't be feasible to apply insider trading laws to me because I own too many companies?

I don't think those two things are comparable; maybe if a referee were on the board of a club you could say it's the same, but allegiance as a fan is an emotional thing and a lot less tangible.

30 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't think those two things are comparable; maybe if a referee were on the board of a club you could say it's the same, but allegiance as a fan is an emotional thing and a lot less tangible.

Nonetheless, as a standard referees should have to declare which clubs they supported during their lifetime and then be barred from refereeing in that league their team/s are currently in.

I wouldn't expect Barry Henderson of rangers supporters club Belfast, rangers mascot on his 12th birthday and rangers youth academy to be allowed to influence a game involving Celtic for example vs Motherwell. 

I understand there may be a financial thing to it and the obvious solution is pay the referee's the same regardless of division.

Solves a lot of problems.

41 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Nonetheless, as a standard referees should have to declare which clubs they supported during their lifetime and then be barred from refereeing in that league their team/s are currently in.

I wouldn't expect Barry Henderson of rangers supporters club Belfast, rangers mascot on his 12th birthday and rangers youth academy to be allowed to influence a game involving Celtic for example vs Motherwell. 

I understand there may be a financial thing to it and the obvious solution is pay the referee's the same regardless of division.

I am attracted to that idea in principle but in a Scottish context, if we were to believe the conspiracy theorists, 99% of our referees a Rangers supporting Masons, so we'd never have an impartial official for an Old Firm game! 

27 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I am attracted to that idea in principle but in a Scottish context, if we were to believe the conspiracy theorists, 99% of our referees a Rangers supporting Masons, so we'd never have an impartial official for an Old Firm game! 

Easy solution to that. Ensure all OF games are refereed by Celtic or Rangers supporting refs on an alternating schedule. The seethe would be tremendous to watch.

45 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

If you're suggesting that the refereeing body be dissolved, I'm on board with that. Ideally with hydrofluoric acid in a plastic bath.

Similarly, the SFA and Police Scotland.

57 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Excellent and insightful comment. That really added to the discussion. Thank you.

No I think it's me that stands alone in this. I find it hard to believe referees make decisions based on allegiances. Sub-conscious or not. But I accept the standard isn't great, and balancing out of poor decisions does happen.

2 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I find it hard to believe referees make decisions based on allegiances. 

....then you've never met an SFA referee. I have and was appalled by him, his stated allegiances and his sheer bigotry. I have no reason to believe that he was alone in this and I can easily surmise that at least some of his decision-making would be questionable as a minimum and blatant at worst. 

12 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

....then you've never met an SFA referee. I have and was appalled by him, his stated allegiances and his sheer bigotry. I have no reason to believe that he was alone in this and I can easily surmise that at least some of his decision-making would be questionable as a minimum and blatant at worst. 

Perhaps I'm wrong.

On the bright side...

2 hours ago, Crawford said:

Declaration is well and good, but hardly definitive. I think that perhaps a program of a third party being contracted to monitor referee performances and search for bias (intentional and unintentional) is warranted, but it would have to probably be rolled out in the English Football Leagues first before the SFA/SPFL would even consider if. There are a number of studies showing home teams receive advantageous calls, and some studies suggest successful teams receive similar calls (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fspor.2020.00019/full).

1 hour ago, harlowspider said:

Easy solution to that. Ensure all OF games are refereed by Celtic or Rangers supporting refs on an alternating schedule. The seethe would be tremendous to watch.

Away team gets the ref seeing as they don't get any fans these days.  

59 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Is there any need for referees in this day and age? Cars can drive themselves and monkeys and dogs have been sent into outer space.

Good thinking. It seems like a waste of monkeys and dogs when we have a ready supply of referees we could use.