St Johnstone vs Hibernian, Saturday 22 April, 2023

2 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Without VAR, the red would have still been given. The whole point of VAR is to prevent shite like this from happening. But it isn't. Not because there's anything wrong with the actual technology itself, but because there's everything wrong with the absolute clowns who run our game with or without VAR.

“VAR technology” is just a few extra cameras and a monitor, with the same dafties making the decisions after a few replays.

The point I’m making is we wouldn’t waste 3-4 minutes of everybody’s time after every strong tackle.

Some decisions are wrong without VAR, and now some are wrong with it.  75% of red cards for challenges end up in a lengthy debate regardless of how many replays everyone watches, so why bother stringing it out?

Just now, PauloPerth said:

“VAR technology” is just a few extra cameras and a monitor, with the same dafties making the decisions after a few replays.

The point I’m making is we wouldn’t waste 3-4 minutes of everybody’s time after every strong tackle.

Some decisions are wrong without VAR, and now some are wrong with it.  75% of red cards for challenges end up in a lengthy debate regardless of how many replays everyone watches, so why bother stringing it out?

Because I'd rather we got to the root of the problem and VAR itself isn't the root of the problem. It will be used as the scapegoat for corrupt officials though.

7 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

Because I'd rather we got to the root of the problem and VAR itself isn't the root of the problem. It will be used as the scapegoat for corrupt officials though.

Corrupt? Really? Or just incompetent?

And was that the case when you garnered so many of your points against ten-men teams?

Just now, Crùbag said:

Corrupt? Really? Or just incompetent?

Yes, corrupt.

Just now, Crùbag said:

And was that the case when you garnered so many of your points against ten-men teams?

I haven't suggested at any point that we're the only club this happens to. It seems to be 3 clubs that generally benefit from these decisions over the course of a full season.

1 minute ago, StellarHibee said:

Yes, corrupt.

I haven't suggested at any point that we're the only club this happens to. It seems to be 3 clubs that generally benefit from these decisions over the course of a full season.

I don't agree re corrupt but suffice to say that the footballing authorities generally knit socks with their arses when one of the Ugly Sisters isn't happy about something.

Regarding Hibs though, and probably all of us, you've had conentious decisions in your favour and against.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

VAR is only useful for weirdos that think football is a TV show and want "suspense" and "drama", or weirdos that think the authorities are "out to get them" and its the only way to avoid the corruption. 

52 minutes ago, StellarHibee said:

I Should Go Reaction GIF by Bounce

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

That wee tit yesterday wasn’t corrupt. Just a really poor referee who shouldn’t be at the level he’s at. He’s been just as shit for various other teams.

The man in the wee room got to see it back over and over again and either didn't inform the referee of his error or did inform him but the referee chose to ignore it. It can only really be one or the other which is corruption whichever way you slice it.

6 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hopefully we win the appeal and Napier is banned from refereeing another Hibs game. 

We'll lose the appeal and Jeggo will be banned from playing another Hibs game for the rest of the season and we'll be made to play the remaining 5 fixtures with 10 men for daring to question the tip of the pyramid.

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

We'll lose the appeal and Jeggo will be banned from playing another Hibs game for the rest of the season and we'll be made to play the remaining 5 fixtures with 10 men for daring to question the tip of the pyramid.

We’ll also be removed from the league and force to play in the East of Scotland third division next season. 

On 22/04/2023 at 20:10, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It is not VAR.

It is the people operating it !

I think if I read this statement again I will combust, it’s the 2023 version of “Brexit isn’t the problem it’s the poor deal we have.”

You watch football anywhere and we continuously see dreadful VAR decisions, for example in the Juventus Napoli game last night, it’s happening all around the world.

Bad refereeing decisions happened before VAR, they still happen and it’ll never change, with VAR we’ve sacrificed the spontaneity and best part of football for 0 gain, anyone with half a brain told everyone that this would happen and the good guys are once again being proven right.

31 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The problem is that the technology is fine but our refs are too incompetent to get the benefit.

But it’s the same problem in every league in the world where errors continuously happen?

So the technology is in fact pointless and ruining goal celebrations and confusing paying punters for the benefit of those watching on telly isn’t in fact “good?”

40 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

But it’s the same problem in every league in the world where errors continuously happen?

So the technology is in fact pointless and ruining goal celebrations and confusing paying punters for the benefit of those watching on telly isn’t in fact “good?”

Point is that it's the people operating it not the VAR itself.

Even if it worked perfectly youd still have delays after every goal, and at random points during the match when they check certain incidents. 

Itll never be perfect anyway as you'll never have a perfect referee, and even if you did the rules are a farce anyway.

The upside is so miniscule when you add in the inevitable mistakes that its just simply not worth sticking with. I suspect itll vanish much like the "silver goal" concept before the decades out.

Napier is the referee who didn't give a red card for this shocking lunge in a Hibs v Saint Johnstone game a year or two ago. I mind attending the match that day (Football for a Fiver IIRC) and couldn't believe that MacPherson only got a yellow.