Den Haag or Leiden?

I'm Brian

Got a 12 hour stopover at Schipol in August, and intend spending it in one or t'other. 

Had the unfortunate experience of Schipol's queue to security last year(very nearly missed my connection), so that will mean 8 hours free time out the airport.

What would folks recommend? Just a wander around and a spot of lunch.

Leaning towards The Hague but have heard good things about Leiden.

4 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

Got a 12 hour stopover at Schipol in August, and intend spending it in one or t'other. 

Had the unfortunate experience of Schipol's queue to security last year(very nearly missed my connection), so that will mean 8 hours free time out the airport.

Last time I had a wait at Schiphol I spent the time in Haarlem, 20 mins by bus right in front of airport entrance. Pleasant enough place even in shite weather and the middle of Covid. Been to the Hague years ago and it seemed a bit dull, maybe I was in the wrong bits though, just visiting a friend on the outskirts, can't remember if we went into the centre. 

Edited by welshbairn

On 22/04/2023 at 08:52, I'm Brian said:

I live in Den Haag and work in Leiden.

Go to Leiden. It's more compact with some nice canals and places to eat and drink next to them.

Not quite the glowing review of Den Haag I was hoping for, given I'm there for a long weekend in May!

We were planning a day in Amsterdam and possibly one in Rotterdam, too. We haven't pinpointed specific things we want to do yet.

5 minutes ago, morrison said:

Not quite the glowing review of Den Haag I was hoping for, given I'm there for a long weekend in May!

We were planning a day in Amsterdam and possibly one in Rotterdam, too. We haven't pinpointed specific things we want to do yet.

The boat trip around Rotterdam docks is worth a go, the scale of it is unbelievable and some of the architecture is pretty wild too.

I'd choose Leiden over Den Haag, as @welshbairn said Haarlem is also a nice option used to live there and head through whenever I get the chance, if you do go to Haarlem check out Jopen brewery.

Also the security situation at Schipol seems to have improved considerably since last year.

2 hours ago, morrison said:

Look into Delft too. A lot smaller but quite a charming wee place. In between Den Haag and Rotterdam.

12 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Also the security situation at Schipol seems to have improved considerably since last year.

That's the best news I've heard in a while.

It was one of the worst experiences of my life(which is quite the statement given my footballing allegiances)

6 hours ago, I'm Brian said:

That's the best news I've heard in a while.

It was one of the worst experiences of my life(which is quite the statement given my footballing allegiances)

The only part that still needs some work is the baggage situation but if it's a stopover i imagine you won't have to deal with that side of it, I've been through Schiphol 3 times in the last few months and my girlfriend travels a lot for work and we've had no issues getting through security, it's still not perfect but it's much better than it was.

Passed through Schiphol a few times in the last couple of years, and if you're flying to or from a Schengen country it's delightful and seemless, not if it's the EU border between it and the UK, total pain in the arse.

• 2 weeks later...