National Conference League

edinabear

49 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

As @MrIrvinePollock states above, the mess has been caused by the Lowland League: there were 19 teams last season because the LL clubs voted to add three B teams, the LL could have opened itself up to an even number of sides from the pyramid below, not an odd number of second string sides.

The Lowland League is limited to 16 "proper" teams at the moment, something which I think would require SFA permission to change. Therefore the even number of sides being admitted from below would have been 0, and it would not have had any impact on the size of the South of Scotland League or any other league.

It is clearly not feasible to require every league system in the pyramid to have an even number of clubs, so naturally bottom tier divisions might end up with uneven numbers sometimes. I don't see why that's a problem.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Brown said something on Official Catchup about clubs entering the Conference maybe needing to upgrade their facilities, giving standard of lighting as an example, as it would come under new rules for the SPFL.

Yes, Entry level licence recommends a minimum of 200lux, a Bronze level requires 300lux.  Bronze also requires cover for 500.

So they may be thinking of introducing Bronze as a requirement at tier 4 (or Conference).

30 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Yes, Entry level licence recommends a minimum of 200lux, a Bronze level requires 300lux.  Bronze also requires cover for 500.

So they may be thinking of introducing Bronze as a requirement at tier 4 (or Conference).

Bronze floodlighting is already an SPFL requirement for L1/L2 so any of the top HL/LL clubs challenging for the title or that have taken part in the play-offs would already have this (either that or a waiver). Having Bronze grounds as a tier 4 requirement would also mean tier 3 and would be an issue for the four SPFL clubs with entry level grounds.

13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Bronze floodlighting is already an SPFL requirement for L1/L2 so any of the top HL/LL clubs challenging for the title or that have taken part in the play-offs would already have this (either that or a waiver). Having Bronze grounds as a tier 4 requirement would also mean tier 3 and would be an issue for the four SPFL clubs with entry level grounds.

I would imagine the four entry level clubs would receive a derogation of several years to achieve Bronze, but it's the natural step if SPFL are already asking for Bronze requirements for lighting.

The bronze requirements for lighting only are surely specifically because of the possibility of midweek TV broadcasts from these grounds, particularly in the play-offs?

Edited by craigkillie

47 minutes ago, Rosey_Posey said:

Terrible plan this newly proposed conference league but already looking like a done deal unfortunately.

image.thumb.png.22ed9ac271e87319e48b4fc604b05c19.png

The sole shareholder is the SPFL. Its directors are Calum Beattie (COO of the SPFL) and Neil Doncaster.

I fear the possibility if the licensed clubs don't vote for the resolution at the SFA AGM, then the SPFL will just go ahead with the Conference League for next season using the "newco" excuse for bypassing normal governance.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

More or less anyone can form a limited company. It's not expensive to do. However, many do not become active and many form and close down.

That's what I was gonnae say.

Nowhere near the done deal.

Keep fighting the good fight.

1 hour ago, Rosey_Posey said:

Terrible plan this newly proposed conference league but already looking like a done deal unfortunately.

First post and pitching the rapidly vaporising "done deal" line. Even the SFA's favoured outlet for leaks, the Mail, is now backtracking to 'Vote of clubs at SFA AGM on June 6 likely to be close.'

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

First post and pitching the rapidly vaporising "done deal" line. Even the SFA's favoured outlet for leaks, the Mail, is now backtracking to 'Vote of clubs at SFA AGM on June 6 likely to be close.'

Also worth noting is that the account was registered for 7 days before posting, however, that was the same date the name change documents were submitted.

59 minutes ago, kingbob1875 said:

Also worth noting is that the account was registered for 7 days before posting, however, that was the same date the name change documents were submitted.

Calm down Inspector Clouseau. I'm just a Bonnyrigg Rose fan posting that the company name has been filed recently. 🤣

The Pyramid leagues have attended least two meetings with the SFA and SPFL (first one only) in early March and again in late April where I'm sure the proposal was discussed.  To date, there has been little public response from the representatives present at those meetings, barring Thomas Brown's pet podcast interview with Official Catchup. There must have been some discussion with clubs in the background, but the failure of any League to oppose the proposal is worrying.

My fear now is that the SFA/SPFL will carry out their threat of imposing the new conference next season if the resolution fails to obtain a majority at the SFA AGM. Setting up an operating company is part of those preparations.

If my fear becomes reality then it could mean the imposition of an extended SPFL to maybe 48 plus B teams.  Invites could of course go to stalwart defenders of the SPFL like Brechin, Berwick and Cowdenbeath. The drawbridge to the pyramid would then be pulled up.

Let's hope I'm wrong.  

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The Lowland League is limited to 16 "proper" teams at the moment, something which I think would require SFA permission to change. Therefore the even number of sides being admitted from below would have been 0, and it would not have had any impact on the size of the South of Scotland League or any other league.

At the moment aren't there only 15 proper teams in the LL? I stopped showing any great interest in the LL when Colts were admitted, but haven't Dalbeattie Star been relegated?

18 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

At the moment aren't there only 15 proper teams in the LL? I stopped showing any great interest in the LL when Colts were admitted, but haven't Dalbeattie Star been relegated?

Linlithgow are replacing them.

12 minutes ago, kingbob1875 said:

How did you come across the document so quickly?

This new thing called Google. Type Scottish Conference League and click search then you’ll get a bunch of media articles and with a bit scrolling you’ll see a link to companies house on the first page of results.

Is that my newbie interrogation over now?

Edited by Rosey_Posey

If the Conference is rejected then I hope fans and clubs continue to be as vocal as possible against B teams being in the Lowland League rather than seeing it as the lesser of two evils. B teams shouldn't be in the Lowland League in the first place and, as long as they are there, the threat will remain of Conference League type ideas. The SFA etc are there to serve Rangers and Celtic and no-one else and clubs need to fight this as much as possible.