John Beaton X1 v Aberdeen

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

Well, I’d suggest it supports my theory that referees are influenced by pressure factors which lead to instances of Rangers or Celtic going a full league campaign without conceding a penalty rather than it being overt bias in Rangers’ favour 

Juventus even conceded a penalty the season it was proved they had corrupt referees helping them to the title 😂

2 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Remember @AJF said the Bates pull on Sakala was a clear pen.

I’m glad we now agree Bates pulled him 😂

ETA: I’ve always maintained it was a foul by Goldson yesterday. The part I’m unsure of is if it carried on into the box. The picture just posted shows that the grappling has ended, so the question is where were the players at the point the foul ended because it was before that still image.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Juventus even conceded a penalty the season it was proved they had corrupt referees helping them to the title 😂

I get it, you believe that referees in Scotland are overtly biased in Rangers’ favour. I don’t. Each is a theory that cannot be proven. Your reference also bears no relevance, IMO.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I actually laughed watching that. As clear a foul as you could possibly see and from that angle it looks to me that it continues into the box. 

A level of refereeing incompetence that manages to be both astonishing yet completely unsurprising at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have to re-iterate. I haven’t seen anything yet that tells me it’s a clear and obvious penalty. 

If you watch Sportscene, the shot from behind the goal shows Goldson finally flattening Duk just inside the box. 

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Your reference also bears no relevance, IMO.

I asked for examples of other teams who have gone a league season without giving away a penalty.

Your only example was the other OF club.

Any other examples since you said there was plenty?

Even Juventus, who had referees in their corner as proven in court, gave away at least one penalty.

2 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I actually laughed watching that. As clear a foul as you could possibly see and from that angle it looks to me that it continues into the box. 

A level of refereeing incompetence that manages to be both astonishing yet completely unsurprising at the same time.

The other end and the whistles blown, with the red card already in the refs hand, before the players hit the ground.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I asked for examples of other teams who have gone a league season without giving away a penalty.

Your only example was the other OF club.

Any other examples since you said there was plenty?

Even Juventus, who had referees in their corner as proven in court, gave away at least one penalty.

You asked who else had gone a league season without conceding a penalty. I told you the ones I know of (Celtic x 2).

Did I say there were plenty? I think you’ll need to go back and read what I said (I said it wasn’t unprecedented).

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The other end and the whistles blown, with the red card already in the refs hand, before the players hit the ground.

We can theorise if that’s the case, but again, I don’t see why that has relevance on the debate as to whether this actual foul carried on into the box.

It's definitely a foul. No question. If an Aberdeen player had committed the same foul on a The Rangers player I'd admit as much too. 

To reiterate both the linesman (closest to the incident) and John Beaton are confirmed The Rangers supporters. They shouldn't be allowed to officiate games involving The Rangers. Beaten by Beaton is no longer a funny quip but rather a reoccurring sad reality for Aberdeen fans.

Edit: Still don't understand why Scales was booked when Cantwell (he should have been issued a red card) assaulted him.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

I genuinely can’t tell from that if the foul carries on into the box. Goldson’s arms are thrown out right on the line.

I agree with you. 

I think it ‘might’ be a penalty but I don’t think it meets the threshold for VAR to intervene. 

My take is:

- duk skins goldson

- goldson calculates that he can just take a booking and a free kick by taking duk out 

- duk is 100% fouled, knows this but tries to prolong the contact into the box. 

- goldson is trying to avoid it continuing into the box and has moved his arms away by the time duk goes down. 

I think it could have been a pen but it’s not that blatant. My anger is still that Beaton didn’t see anything wrong with it at all.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

So it's a foul and a red card, even if it's outside the box then?

100% a foul. Not up for debate.

Red card more subjective, I’d say, given the narrow angle Duk would be approaching goal and defenders arriving in the box.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

100% a foul. Not up for debate.

Red card more subjective, I’d say, given the narrow angle Duk would be approaching goal and defenders arriving in the box.

I don't think it's a red card, but I also didn't think it was a red in the Hearts game either.

I am genuinely confused about the role VAR plays or doesn't play here. We often see games paused because VAR are checking a 'possible penalty'. Why would that not apply here, since absolutely no-one apart from John Beaton disputes that it was a foul?

3 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I don't think it's a red card, but I also didn't think it was a red in the Hearts game either.

I am genuinely confused about the role VAR plays or doesn't play here. We often see games paused because VAR are checking a 'possible penalty'. Why would that not apply here, since absolutely no-one apart from John Beaton disputes that it was a foul?

I’m not sure to be honest. In my experience I think they only put up on the screens that a decision is being checked if it necessitates a stop in play (while the referee is communicated to by VAR).

I don’t know if it was possibly checked while the Aberdeen players got up the pitch in order to take the corner that didn’t require a stoppage in play or whether it was checked at all, but that’s just guesswork, really.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not sure to be honest. In my experience I think they only put up on the screens that a decision is being checked if it necessitates a stop in play (while the referee is communicated to by VAR).

I don’t know if it was possibly checked while the Aberdeen players got up the pitch in order to take the corner that didn’t require a stoppage in play or whether it was checked at all, but that’s just guesswork, really.

I think it will have been checked and decided it doesn’t meet the threshold for clear and obvious. Which I don’t have that much issue with tbh. 

4 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

How can you tell that from this image when you can't even see Goldson's left arm?

Aye, that’s fair enough, I’m making the assumption he threw them both out from what I recall. I think the video posted before you can also see his left arm is thrown out too.