John Beaton X1 v Aberdeen

Just seen Goldson's foul on Duk. Three points here.

1. That is one of the most blatant penalties that you'll see.

2. What the hell is Goldson complaining about?

3. 50 odd games since Rangers conceded a penalty that was given, and Goldson should have conceded a minimum of three this season alone.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

3. 50 odd games since Rangers conceded a penalty that was given, and Goldson should have conceded a minimum of three this season alone.

It was also a red card 

Beaton is a cheat.

The VAR man is a complete shitebag.

The SFA are utterly shameless.

Even if he had given a decision, but bottled the pen.m, he would have had to give a freekick and a yellow - Goldson had another poor challenge 2nd half. Which was a yellow and a freekick but I can’t remember anything being given.

What was Cantwell doing in the first half, rushing in on Scales? Saw no reason for it at the time.

Edited by kent_don
Spelling

“It was either a free kick or a penalty”

Then proceeds to ask if it was a free kick. Someone in the press room says aye it was to which he then asks “so where was VAR?”

Someone then starts to point out that VAR won’t get involved in free kick decisions so he throws his hands up and says there’s no point in speaking cos none of us know 😂🙈

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Then proceeds to ask if it was a free kick. Someone in the press room says aye it was to which he then asks “so where was VAR?”

Someone then starts to point out that VAR won’t get involved in free kick decisions so he throws his hands up and says there’s no point in speaking cos none of us know 😂🙈

It was a penalty because the foul continued to the penalty box line as an absolute minimum, therefore the VAR should be telling Beaton to go to his wee TV. 

47 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Why did Duk not pick the ball up and put it on the spot?

20 minutes ago, kent_don said:

What was Cantwell doing in the first half, rushing in on Scales? Saw no reason for it at the time.

What was Liam Scales booked for? It's nice that Cantwell is another Rangers player easy to detest. And a few plays on his name coming up in the next season.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It was a penalty because the foul continued to the penalty box line as an absolute minimum, therefore the VAR should be telling Beaton to go to his wee TV. 

I’m not debating on whether it was in the box or not, I’m laughing at Robson’s illogical comments.

Just now, kingjoey said:

What was Liam Scales booked for? It's nice that Cantwell is another Rangers player easy to detest. And a few plays on his name coming up in the next season.

If Scales was booked for his involvement then it was a penalty because he was on his arse during the kerfuffle.

I suspect the refs have a technical rule about booking both players after a fracas.  Last year Lamie scored the late goal that secured top six for us, he was the only player to run back to his position, the rest of the team went and celebrated with the crowd, before the game was restarted the ref sought Lamie out in his defensive position and booked him, he had no involvement whatsoever, but he had scored the goal that incited activity. 

I think it was Clarkson that was booked rather than Scales. Both RangersTV and Sportscene said it was Scales, but Scales had walked away and Beaton is looking directly at Clarkson when he shows the yellow card. 

That was just a case of the referee feeling the need to book an opposition player to even things up, though. Cantwell was the only player who committed a bookable offence. 

13 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not debating on whether it was in the box or not, I’m laughing at Robson’s illogical comments.

Maybe you should consider why Beaton didn’t see any foul at all in this incident. 

I think Robson's anger is a bit misdirected on this one. The incident with Goldson and Duk is squarely on Beaton and the on-field officials. They should give the free-kick, which is patently obvious, and then let VAR decide whether it has continued into the box or not, which is much more ambiguous to the naked eye. Because Beaton has inexplicably not seen anything wrong, I can at least understand VAR feeling that they can't put him to the monitor for a penalty review. 

34 minutes ago, AJF said:

Potential red card, a clearer goal scoring opportunity than the one at Tynecastle today.

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think Robson's anger is a bit misdirected on this one. The incident with Goldson and Duk is squarely on Beaton and the on-field officials. They should give the free-kick, which is patently obvious, and then let VAR decide whether it has continued into the box or not, which is much more ambiguous to the naked eye. Because Beaton has inexplicably not seen anything wrong, I can at least understand VAR feeling that they can't put him to the monitor for a penalty review. 

That’s where I am. I’m not that convinced it’s a penalty, I think that’s debatable. 

Im just still astonished Beaton thought the incident was fair play from goldson. Staggering. 

I don’t believe in bias and the fact he’s a rangers fan etc but I do believe in subconscious bias and it’s hard to argue against that with stuff like this. It’s just so obviously a free kick. He has his arms round him for a good few seconds. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s where I am. I’m not that convinced it’s a penalty, I think that’s debatable. 

Im just still astonished Beaton thought the incident was fair play from goldson. Staggering. 

I don’t believe in bias and the fact he’s a rangers fan etc but I do believe in subconscious bias and it’s hard to argue against that with stuff like this. It’s just so obviously a free kick. He has his arms round him for a good few seconds. 

Yeah, I think that's right. You can definitely make a case for a penalty if it does continue into the box, but the free-kick is much more obvious and the officials not being able to call that in real time is just baffling to me. Duk maybe helps him out by getting up straight away, but that shouldn't really be a factor. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s footage on line clearly showing Duk a foot inside the box with Goldson wrapped around him.

It’s a stonewall penalty & red card. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe you should consider why Beaton didn’t see any foul at all in this incident. 

Cos he’s a Rangers fan, obviously.

ETA: this came across quite abrupt and wasn’t aimed at you directly. Apologies.

Edited by AJF

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Cos he’s a Rangers fan, obviously.

ETA: this came across quite abrupt and wasn’t aimed at you directly. Apologies.

Ha, don’t worry I wouldn’t have taken it that way in any case. 

I don’t agree with Robson’s VAR comments but the point is genuine. Is it not odd to you that it wasn’t seen as a foul at all? Even the linesman doesn’t flag for anything. It’s utterly baffling for me. 

Again, I don’t buy the overt bias arguments, but I do believe there’s a subconscious bias in decision making with the old firm. That they take the easy life at times.