Scottish Cup 2023/24

Marten

18 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Sfa wouldnt sanction reversal of fixture, why did no team closer to fort William want to give them use of their ground? Were the highland league not glad to see the back of them.

Strathspey Thistle and Ross County have about the only licensed grounds much closer to Fort William than Golspie that aren't playing that day, but Grantown's more of a pain in the arse to get to by public transport than Golspie. Fort William's basically in no man's land as far as licensed neighbours go.

@LeedsPhil worked it out on Fitbanorth..

Clach - 66 miles (but occupied that day)
ICT - 67 miles (but occupied that day)
Ross Co. - 73 miles
Strathspey Thistle - 76 miles
Nairn County - 78 miles (but occupied that day)
Dumbarton - 90 miles (but occupied that day)
Forres Mechanics - 92 miles
Elgin City - 100 miles
Rothes - 101 miles (but occupied that day)
Lossie - 105 miles
Glasgow in general - 108 miles
Keith - 110 miles (but occupied that day)
and only then Golspie - 112 miles.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Strathspey Thistle and Ross County have about the only licensed grounds much closer to Fort William than Golspie that aren't playing that day, but Grantown's more of a pain in the arse to get to by public transport than Golspie. Fort William's basically in no man's land as far as licensed neighbours go.

@LeedsPhil worked it out on Fitbanorth..

Clach - 66 miles (but occupied that day)
ICT - 67 miles (but occupied that day)
Ross Co. - 73 miles
Strathspey Thistle - 76 miles
Nairn County - 78 miles (but occupied that day)
Dumbarton - 90 miles (but occupied that day)
Forres Mechanics - 92 miles
Elgin City - 100 miles
Rothes - 101 miles (but occupied that day)
Lossie - 105 miles
Glasgow in general - 108 miles
Keith - 110 miles (but occupied that day)
and only then Golspie - 112 miles.

Then they shouldn’t have hired their ground out to another sport on the day of the Scottish cup.

29 minutes ago, hague said:

Then they shouldn’t have hired their ground out to another sport on the day of the Scottish cup.

I doubt they have any say in it, it's likely a condition of their ground lease from Highland Council.

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt they have any say in it, it's likely a condition of their ground lease from Highland Council.

If they have don’t have a say in the running of the ground then they shouldn’t be in the Scottish cup.

2 minutes ago, hague said:

If they have don’t have a say in the running of the ground then they shouldn’t be in the Scottish cup.

That's good from a club that claims their groundshare partner has priority over Holm Park on Sept 2nd. The race day was announced way before the Cup dates were announced, all Clydebank needed to do to avoid a trip to Golspie was to agree to play it on the 3rd. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's good from a club that claims their groundshare partner has priority over Holm Park on Sept 2nd. The race day was announced way before the Cup dates were announced, all Clydebank needed to do to avoid a trip to Golspie was to agree to play it on the 3rd. 

Clydebank and yoker have an agreement about what games have priority yoker were drawn at home Clydebank weren’t I fail to see how you find that difficult to understand.fort William have made a total mess of this and were silent about it for over 2 weeks and now they are trying to blame Clydebank for the situation they created by letting their ground out to another sport.you are obviously desperate to blame Clydebank as well but you are just making yourself look utterly foolish.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I haven't heard Aberdeen fans whining about their League Cup game being moved to Friday night because of the Stirling Highland Games on Saturday. 

You really are getting desperate now not going to bother replying to any more.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They have priority because we were drawn away from home on that date and rhey were drawn at home.

I’m reliably informed that Fort said the pitch would be a state on the Sunday because of the run thing and that a game in Glasgow could also have an impact on the crowd.

13 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

They have priority because we were drawn away from home on that date and rhey were drawn at home.

I’m reliably informed that Fort said the pitch would be a state on the Sunday because of the run thing and that a game in Glasgow could also have an impact on the crowd.

I don't understand them offering a Saturday evening kick off then, as Clydebank have acknowledged. If they let 6-800 runners on the pitch it would be fucked for months, not just the weekend. Fort William fans are generally found on hipster internet forums, not at the games, so I'd have thought if a Glasgow venue could be found you'd get far more punters than at Claggan Park or Golspie.

P.S. I'd imagine the grass around the pitch would be chewed up for the spectators, not sure how close the runners get to the pitch. Maybe that was what they were on about.

Edited by welshbairn

53 minutes ago, hague said:

fort William have made a total mess of this and were silent about it for over 2 weeks and now they are trying to blame Clydebank for the situation they created by letting their ground out to another sport.

Draw was on the 26th and by the 28th multiple posters were saying it would be at Golspie. The two weeks of silence seems to have been wasted offering alternatives to Clydebank.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A Friday night game or Sunday surely would have been preferable than Golspie away? Even if up to 5/6 players couldn't make it due to work - Friday usually an easier day to get an early finish for most players - Clydebank would still have squad to overcome Fort William.

I know back when Meadow played Brora / Forres a number of years ago now the vast majority of our players travelled up on Friday night on team bus & stayed over so didn't have such a long journey on the Saturday both ways.

Edited by Shannon

56 minutes ago, Shannon said:

A Friday night game or Sunday surely would have been preferable than Golspie away? Even if up to 5/6 players couldn't make it due to work - Friday usually an easier day to get an early finish for most players - Clydebank would still have squad to overcome Fort William.

I know back when Meadow played Brora / Forres a number of years ago now the vast majority of our players travelled up on Friday night on team bus & stayed over so didn't have such a long journey on the Saturday both ways.

So its peak tourism season (i cant imagine why people would actively travel to Fort William but there you go) , English schools on holiday and hotel prices are as per in the highlands an absolute rip off, Meadow had significantly more financial resources then than Bankies have now. We dont have a massive squad so 5/6 players is significant. We were told the park would be in a mess on the Sunday. 
eta looked at trip advisor there and hotel costs for that weekend for a big enough hotel are approx £200 per room. So to somehow find approx £3000 for hotels is a big ask for a community club.

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

Moving a Scottish Cup game to a Sunday isn't exactly uncommon, surprised Clydebank said no to that, given they must have known that it was going to be somewhere further away if it stayed on the Saturday. I wonder if they were hoping they'd be able to get it played at home instead.

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Moving a Scottish Cup game to a Sunday isn't exactly uncommon, surprised Clydebank said no to that, given they must have known that it was going to be somewhere further away if it stayed on the Saturday. I wonder if they were hoping they'd be able to get it played at home instead.

No our board knew that it wasnt in the rules to switch the tie, its on our fans message board. The sunday was refused because they were told the pitch would be in a state after the fun run.

That's Clydebank's decision though, they chose a better pitch (ie less of a leveller) further away over a potentially worse pitch at the original venue.  Therefore I don't see much grounds for complaint, this was their choice to move the game up there.

Looking at this, it doesn't seem as though the race is ever actually on the pitch, so I don't see why it would be affected too badly. Maybe some spectators or whatever but you'd imagine there could be some effort made to keep that down.

Edited by craigkillie

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's Clydebank's decision though, they chose a better pitch (ie less of a leveller) further away over a potentially worse pitch at the original venue.  Therefore I don't see much grounds for complaint, this was their choice to move the game up there.

Looking at this, it doesn't seem as though the race is ever actually on the pitch, so I don't see why it would be affected too badly. Maybe some spectators or whatever but you'd imagine there could be some effort made to keep that down.

If its not on the pitch then play the game at their game then on the saturday, organise the car parking to accommodate both.