Hearts vs Aberdeen - Saturday 20th May

30 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Where the money came from to strengthen is irrelevant to the discussion. If anything, the fact that Aberdeen had been able to build a squad with saleable assets shows the advantage they've had over the last decade or so. Much of that self-inflicted on Hearts' part, of course. Aberdeen were able to go out and spend pretty big last summer, and the players they brought in have broadly been fit and available to play weekend to weekend.

Hearts' injuries have been off the charts while negotiating a heavy first half of the season, and ultimately the weakness of a number of the replacements has been obvious. Unless you've been impressed with the likes of Halliday, Grant, and Kio, who have made almost 100 appearances between them this season.

You could also point out that we've somehow still been playing Michael Smith at right back for the majority of the season. And Lewis Neilson featured heavily in the first half of the season as we had nobody else. He may come good, but he's nowhere near ready.

Like I said, people see it through the prism of their own side, and it's natural you focus on Aberdeen. But you're just arguing in the face of the facts. It must be frustrating to be missing three important players. But the side with the bigger selection problems today wasn't Aberdeen. And over the season it's not even worth a discussion. Aberdeen have lived a relatively charmed life this season. You have never faced our strongest line-up, or anything like it.

Michael Smith looked pretty good against us in January 😅

We’re not going to agree Aberdeen had bigger issues today with players missing than Hearts by a mile. Hearts have players they can rely on outside the first 11 whilst Robson has inherited a situation where we have absolutely no one capable of stepping in or influencing a game from the bench. We replaced Shinnie, Duk and McCrorie with three guys who hadn’t started a game this year before today.

4 minutes ago, Craigie Jambo said:

We haven't spent a lot of European money, if any at all

Aye. Had that confirmed today by an ITK mate. Matched up with what I was told last summer, that we were basically using that money over three years. Plenty left and there's no reason to worry about next season.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aye. Had that confirmed today by an ITK mate. Matched up with what I was told last summer, that we were basically using that money over three years. Plenty left and there's no reason to worry about next season.

Reckon about £2M on transfer fees and £500K on Uefa compliance

8 minutes ago, Craigie Jambo said:

Reckon about £2M on transfer fees and £500K on Uefa compliance

It's teasing out what we'd have spent anyway that is the tricky bit.

Anderson, 15,600 STs, 3rd and the cup run last season, another high finish this year, the safety net of the FoH money. The club has money to spend, and the Euro money from this year is just being used to top it up, which seems sensible to me.

Edited by VincentGuerin

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's teasing out what we'd have spent anyway that is the tricky bit.

Anderson, 15,600 STs, 3rd and the cup run last season, another high finish this year, the safety net of the FoH money. The club has money to spend, and the Euro money from this year is just being used to top it up, which seems sensible to me.

We'll need a lot of it to pay Ginnelly

Disappointing performances from a few important players today. We don't have enough quality all over the park to carry a couple of absences and a couple of stinkers. 

Thought Hearts were the better team overall but we were still very much in it. Hearts dominated a spell up to their second goal and managed the game fairly comfartably from there. 

Not sure what's upset the incels? 

That @woolf lad was clearly a parody account by one of the hibee japesters but i think @DaveMackay56 might have been real. Astonishing.

Hearts running with the ball seemed to cause us a lot of problems. They've some strong runners but we just couldn't get a successful tackle in.  Our midfield (except clarkson) and wing backs offered next to no protection for the defence. 

I'd like to see a bit more variety in our tactics. Getting it forward quickly also means losing possession quickly and sometimes we just need to put some passes together and calm down. 

Was an improvement from our last visit though. 

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think today's Aberdeen line-up is an interesting starting point for considering what their summer recruitment strategy will be.

What happened to them today is a similar experience to what Hearts had going to Pittodrie back in October, where there's an important core of players missing for a strategically important game.

Aberdeen spent a bit of cash last summer, but did so with a smallish squad in mind as they had no European games to be distracted by. That's been a successful approach, as they've generally avoided important injuries and the quality over quantity approach works in that situation with a light schedule. George Burley's Hearts side was a similar strategy.

Next season, they'll have a much more congested season and will need more in reserve. As they are, I don't think they'd be much of a threat to third next season. The question is how many resources they can chuck at having the necessary back-up to prepare them for the additional fatigue and inevitable injuries that come from congestion.

The issue with a small squad in that scenario can be seen from what happened to Hearts. Hearts' injuries basically made a big squad into a small squad, and that brought the problem of not being able to rest the players available. Halliday, for example, was playing with an injury for about two months but couldn't really be rested. That game at Pittodrie came on the heels of Fiorentina away, and Halliday only lasted five minutes at Pittodrie before the schedule finally caught up with him and he went off injured, leaving an already stretched line-up really struggling.

I don't doubt Aberdeen will have been looking at Hearts' struggles this season and learning from them. But, finance aside, how many good players can a Scottish Premiership side keep happy in a squad if they're not playing all the time? Finding the balance between that and being prepared for any kind of injury crisis is a tough one for clubs with our budgets.

Like I said, Aberdeen have been lucky with injuries this year. But next year may well be a different story. It'll be interesting to see how they approach this.

Been a long time since you gave us a monologue on Aberdeen. You must have won. 

If you finish 3rd can we expect a dissertation? 

We were absolutely miles the better team yesterday, Roos made a few good saves and we missed a few sitters into the bargain.

Clark sold the jerseys for the opener but I don't think he had an actual save of note other than that.

As for the penalty claims no chance. Watkins pushes Haring first and there's little contact and Miovski dives.

Really enjoying how Naismith has us approaching games, actually on the front foot and being positive.  Even right after the goal we created a few good chances and never just sat back.

Thought Oda was excellent but Cochrane was MotM for me.

19 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Great equaliser to be fair 

Clancy buying every fall by a Hearts player.

19 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Fucking Pressley used to infuriate me, it seems to become part of Hearts DNA to just fall over if someone touches your back. 

18 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Thought it was pretty pathetic from Miovski tbh.

18 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You should be commentating on Red TV.

Never a penalty.

Hmmm

We'll still have to probably beat both Rangers and Hibs to finish 3rd but another positive home performance.

Never really bought in to the recent Aberdeen/Robson hype, it was a combination of playing teams at the right time and some basic, but solid defending. Farcical that he's on the shortlist for one of the manager of the year awards.

St Mirren could be tricky opponents on Wednesday, but it will take a major turnaround in our away form to take something at Ibrox.

No idea why anyone thinks the Haring-related penalty incident is part of some sort of masonic conspiracy. It simply wasn't a penalty. Same with all the other calls. Miovski is hardly someone who stays on his feet either...😅

As an aside odd bit of footage in the BBC highlights with Robson having words with Watkins during celebrations for Aberdeen's goal? Anyone know what that was about? 🤔

Edited by Stylish Kid

13 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

We'll still have to probably beat both Rangers and Hibs to finish 3rd but another positive home performance.

Never really bought in to the recent Aberdeen/Robson hype, it was a combination of playing teams at the right time and some basic, but solid defending. Farcical that he's on the shortlist for one of the manager of the year awards.

St Mirren could be tricky opponents on Wednesday, but it will take a major turnaround in our away form to take something at Ibrox.

The ‘hype’ came from outside and was as much due to hearts collapse as anything amazing we were doing. 

Robson deserves a lot of credit, he took a team that was utterly useless and made it competent, 7 wins in a row was outstanding but it took some key moments going our way at times (as it often does in this league). To then find ourselves in 3rd from really just wanting to avoid getting sucked into a relegation scrap like last season was incredible and drove the hype. 

Hearts have a better squad man for man, I don’t think that’s a controversial statement and they’ve no one to blame but themselves if they end up 4th. 

Saying that, the hearts fans are going a bit overboard on the potential hiding yesterday. The second half was more like that but first half  went pretty well for 43 minutes. Ginnelly changed the entire complexion and we didn’t react well. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The ‘hype’ came from outside and was as much due to hearts collapse as anything amazing we were doing. 

Robson deserves a lot of credit, he took a team that was utterly useless and made it competent, 7 wins in a row was outstanding but it took some key moments going our way at times (as it often does in this league). To then find ourselves in 3rd from really just wanting to avoid getting sucked into a relegation scrap like last season was incredible and drove the hype. 

Hearts have a better squad man for man, I don’t think that’s a controversial statement and they’ve no one to blame but themselves if they end up 4th. 

Saying that, the hearts fans are going a bit overboard on the potential hiding yesterday. The second half was more like that but first half  went pretty well for 43 minutes. Ginnelly changed the entire complexion and we didn’t react well. 

Persisting with the Neilson/Snodgrass team, which is up there with the worst I've seen play for us, in that February to April period, is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Our injuries are still horrendous, even though we've got higher calibre replacements than most clubs in Scotland would be able to bring in.

Gordon, Halkett, Baningame and Boyce, the spine of last year's team all out with long term injuries. Can you imagine how Aberdeen would have performed this season with Roos, Pollock, Clarkson and Mijovski out with season ending injuries? 

4 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Gordon, Halkett, Baningame and Boyce, the spine of last year's team all out with long term injuries. Can you imagine how Aberdeen would have performed this season with Roos, Pollock, Clarkson and Mijovski out with season ending injuries? 

It's been interesting seeing how poor CCV's cover has been for Celtic!

7 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Persisting with the Neilson/Snodgrass team, which is up there with the worst I've seen play for us, in that February to April period, is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Our injuries are still horrendous, even though we've got higher calibre replacements than most clubs in Scotland would be able to bring in.

Yeah we would have struggled, and we don’t have much to complain about with injuries this season. Our squad fillers are just shite and that’s on us. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah we would have struggled, and we don’t have much to complain about with injuries this season. Our squad fillers are just shite and that’s on us. 

Yeah,  not getting why hearts fans are getting offended by our fans saying they've a better squad. I thought that was kind of the idea. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yeah,  not getting why hearts fans are getting offended by our fans saying they've a better squad. I thought that was kind of the idea. 

No offense on my part at least, as it is true.

Losing key players, regardless of the calibre of replacements, will impact any team's form.