Aberdeen v St Mirren

On the assumption that finishing 3rd requires a win on Wednesday, we could feasibly finish 3rd having taken 16 points from a possible 60 against the other top 6 sides. 

Not sure if that’s normal or not but struck me as quite shit. 

50 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the assumption that finishing 3rd requires a win on Wednesday, we could feasibly finish 3rd having taken 16 points from a possible 60 against the other top 6 sides. 

Not sure if that’s normal or not but struck me as quite shit. 

Still a possibility we could fall over the line in 3rd place without winning another point. 

Brother Beaton should ensure its a home win at Ibrox on Wednesday and it's possible (Although I would expect a Hearts win) that the Edinburgh derby is a draw.

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Worse than Darvel, this.

I was thinking that. 

After the darvel week you think it couldn’t get any lower…but this revival to chuck it away would really be something. 

Every one of the three previous league fixtures between these two has seen a first half red card.

Hoping we get as many of Barry's trusted XI on the park as possible, as the alternatives have proven to be rather grim.

Dons deserve a crack at the European groups, as we have actually managed a few decent wins on the continent in the past decade - and cannot have the timing of the new setup just landing in Hearts' lap two seasons in a row.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Every one of the three previous league fixtures between these two has seen a first half red card.

Hoping we get as many of Barry's trusted XI on the park as possible, as the alternatives have proven to be rather grim.

Dons deserve a crack at the European groups, as we have actually managed a few decent wins on the continent in the past decade - and cannot have the timing of the new setup just landing in Hearts' lap two seasons in a row.

I see what you’re saying but if we lose at home to st mirren it’s hard to argue we deserve Euro group stages.

Massive game for both sides with the European places up for grabs. I always thought this would be the pivotal game for us. 

I've not been impressed at how we have played since Robson has been in charge, but if you said to me in January that we would be 2 points ahead with 2 games to go then I would have taken that.  Robson got us in this position and if we do fail to finish 3rd then I can imagine the reaction of the fans but he has achieved us getting into Europe. 

Robson said that everyone will be back for St Mirren game which if true is great news as we don't have a decent squad as the 2nd half at Hearts showed. Feel like we are running on empty at the moment so now sure how this game will go but if St Mirren play like they did against Celtic then we are in trouble. 

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Quite the opposite.

Aberdeen had numerous swings at it and failed. It's time for a new generation to get their chance.

For that reason, all of Scottish football (and hopefully the referee and VAR) should be right behind (checks notes) St Mirren and their push for Europe. All right-thinking football fans would love to see Saints in Seville, Buddies in Brussels, Paisley Panda in Paris, Debbie in Dalla...

Anyway. Good luck to our old best pals, Smurn.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aberdeen had numerous swings at it and failed. It's time for a new generation to get their chance.

If only there had been that Conference safety net when we ran into La Liga and EPL opposition in the qualifiers for finishing runners-up four seasons in a row.

Unlike other Scots clubs going out to opponents from Wales, Luxembourg and Malta - we always either matched or bettered our seeding. 

...........and clearly it is up to us to keep St Mirren and their primitive fans off this stage.

image.png.e9fe1981a50178a3944c1f10a7bf36df.png

1 hour ago, weebud said:

Heading up for this one but unusually driving rather than taking the train, where would any Dons recommend having dinner near to the ground??

Was going to ask this myself!

I’m going up with my kids, staying overnight. Train too expensive so driving up early on so we can have a few drinks beforehand. 

What’s the best pubs in the centre of Aberdeen? 

15 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

If only there had been that Conference safety net when we ran into La Liga and EPL opposition in the qualifiers for finishing runners-up four seasons in a row.

Unlike other Scots clubs going out to opponents from Wales, Luxembourg and Malta - we always either matched or bettered our seeding. 

...........and clearly it is up to us to keep St Mirren and their primitive fans off this stage.

image.png.e9fe1981a50178a3944c1f10a7bf36df.png

Hmmm, careful now with this chat, European humiliation is always just round the corner for Scottish sides, we've had one or two bad results ourselves and even under McInnes I remember listening to the radio in terror as we were so were the width of the post away from crashing out in Luxembourg.

You deserve nothing in Europe, it's a privilege of which you qualify for and we weren't good enough last season to take advantage of the Conference League qualifying route.

58 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hmmm, careful now with this chat, European humiliation is always just round the corner for Scottish sides, we've had one or two bad results ourselves and even under McInnes I remember listening to the radio in terror as we were so were the width of the post away from crashing out in Luxembourg.

You deserve nothing in Europe, it's a privilege of which you qualify for and we weren't good enough last season to take advantage of the Conference League qualifying route.

That's true - but just making the point on the timing of our increased national coefficient and a third tournament.

In 2017 we were treble runners-up and the reward was being unseeded in Europa QR2 and facing Burnley, who has just finished 7th in England.  Sides we've beaten in recent times like Groningen, Rijeka, Häcken and Viking Stavanger are all the type of side who could ordinarily be in the new Conference groups. 

Now you can be 3rd and have this promised land just as we looked like we started to tail off in terms of regularly finishing in high league positions.  Credit to Barry for turning that round to an extent - but he's made a rod for his own back in that we would now be gutted not to get 3rd, despite it looking a pipe dream a couple of months back.

Edited by tarapoa