Motherwell V Dundee Utd

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

How did Lennon Miller get on?

Being polite, I'd say it would have been a good learning experience for him.

You obviously have to factor in him being 16 years old and making his first start but I felt it kind of answered the "wHy dOnT wE pLaY yOuTh?!?!?!?!" types.

I guess it goes back to Robinson's rationale re: Turnbull and why he didn't just chuck him in 6 months before he did. He needed him to do the dirty work etc. It's even more the case with Miller given his age - Turnbull was 18 when he made first start.

It felt like there was a bit of a hole in the midfield with him there, as @dezz mentions above he was a bit tentative and from where I was sitting he had United midfielders running off him which put a bit of pressure on the likes of Spittal, Goss, SOD and McGinn covering for him.

Having said that he clearly has a bit about him and there were times when he got on the ball he used it well.

I mean, if we're not going to use that sort of game to give him a run out then what's the fucking point?

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Being polite, I'd say it would have been a good learning experience for him.

You obviously have to factor in him being 16 years old and making his first start but I felt it kind of answered the "wHy dOnT wE pLaY yOuTh?!?!?!?!" types.

I guess it goes back to Robinson's rationale re: Turnbull and why he didn't just chuck him in 6 months before he did. He needed him to do the dirty work etc. It's even more the case with Miller given his age - Turnbull was 18 when he made first start.

It felt like there was a bit of a hole in the midfield with him there, as @dezz mentions above he was a bit tentative and from where I was sitting he had United midfielders running off him which put a bit of pressure on the likes of Spittal, Goss, SOD and McGinn covering for him.

Having said that he clearly has a bit about him and there were times when he got on the ball he used it well.

I mean, if we're not going to use that sort of game to give him a run out then what's the fucking point?

I was only watching sneakily on the phone at a BBQ but I thought - relative to his age etc - he did fine. 

Will be very curious to see if we try to pap him out on loan so he can play every week or if we reckon he's close enough to regular minutes in the big team it's worth keeping him at FP next season while also (perversely compared to option 1) making sure he doesn't burn out by playing every week.

42 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I was only watching sneakily on the phone at a BBQ but I thought - relative to his age etc - he did fine. 

Will be very curious to see if we try to pap him out on loan so he can play every week or if we reckon he's close enough to regular minutes in the big team it's worth keeping him at FP next season while also (perversely compared to option 1) making sure he doesn't burn out by playing every week.

Aye, I'm mindful of seeming like I'm taking a shot at a 16 year old laddie. I'm not a complete dick like.

I agree he was fine but at the same time it definitely felt like a lot of the reason United were able to get on top in the first half came from that space in the middle of the park. I think both things can be true and fwiw, I didn't pitch up on Saturday expecting him to run the show.

Dunno if it was just me projecting or not but it didn't feel like a coincidence that we picked up in the 2nd half when Slattery and Obika came on.

It kind of reminded me of that end of season game vs Dundee a few years back when we gave Jimmy Scott a start as the #9 but there was a noticeable difference when we chucked Curtis Main on to play the role - the ball just stuck better and you could tell that the difference in experience/physicality was a big factor in that.

It feels like there's more hype around Miller than there was for Turnbull ~5 years ago? This is maybe just my perception but I don't think I would have known much about DT around the time of his debut other than "that's the guy that scores sometimes for the u20s on Twitter" whereas Miller seems to have a bit of a buzz associate with him.

Personally I think it would be good if we randomly spawned one of the best players in the league again.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Yeh - on the ball he was decent - off the ball, less so but he's 16 and that is literally the point of playing him. I would imagine he's actually too young for a loan at the moment (he's probably not yet ready to be kicked by lower division cart horses yet), so next season I'd like to see him get more minutes for us but have no expectations that he'll be close to being a starting player regardless of how good he is for his age.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It feels like there's more hype around Miller than there was for Turnbull ~5 years ago? This is maybe just my perception but I don't think I would have known much about DT around the time of his debut other than "that's the guy that scores sometimes for the u20s on Twitter" whereas Miller seems to have a bit of a buzz associate with him.

Personally I think it would be good if we randomly spawned one of the best players in the league again.

Indeed, I can't remember a player this hyped since Semple.

It's worth remembering that while he obviously now gets judged by senior standards, Lennon starting a league game in midfield (not even floating around up front or out wide) and not looking completely lost is pretty incredible by itself.

The kid who got on in Paisley on the opening day (Spiers?) barely kicked the ball and Johnston looked totally out of his depth v St J a couple of years ago, albeit in the toughest debut in history.

I personally think for a 16 year old centre midfielder Miller had a great game. Fantastic passer of the ball and clearly has tremendous technique. The physical side will come and with another full pre season should be stronger next year.

He played a superb defence splitting pass in the second half that was very Turnbull esque. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

^^^

Phillip Schofield found.

Now, now.Genuinely interested in whether 16 year old footballers think a football contract means they have made it or whether they are encouraged to complete their education.. Has he not been part of the Braidhurst operation?

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

Now, now.Genuinely interested in whether 16 year old footballers think a football contract means they have made it or whether they are encouraged to complete their education.. Has he not been part of the Braidhurst operation?

According to the Under 17 Squad list he isn't a participant of the JD Performance School