Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

The SFA wont pay the money to get a decent manager in, so we'll bumble along doing the same old shit with the same tactically naive managers year after year 

Surely they could use some of the cash for sold out games and making the Euro's to appoint someone into the next Euros in which we are partially hosting?  8 year plan, build the team round Ferguson, Gilmour, Doakes, Hickey moving forward? 

Probably don't need a Clarke Out thread, let alone two, when people are discussing it in here. Have a merge and a title change to reflect the latest debate.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

59 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

We went from tepid shite, straight to baws oot McLean at left back and a midfield one of Callum McGregor that was getting ripped open.

If only there was an in-between we could have attempted instead.

Crazy talk.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Rest assured, there’s no chance of Clarke getting sacked. The lads at the SFA can’t possibly question someone with more managerial experience than them!

I know... why do we even have a forum in the first place if we are not allowed to question the teams tactics, managers, players etc etc. We are all the idiots here though according to Numberwang, I'm sure he will be on here in the next few days to tell us off for Clarke GTF threads starting and to tell us it's all about being consistently good to  qualify or you can't gauge our performance at the euros as it's not enough games to judge, wait for the nations leagues etc etc. 

• Bully Wee Villa changed the title to Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion
4 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

Surely they could use some of the cash for sold out games and making the Euro's to appoint someone into the next Euros in which we are partially hosting?  8 year plan, build the team round Ferguson, Gilmour, Doakes, Hickey moving forward? 

Aye they could but they wont, they've a long history of doing the national team on the cheap 

2 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

We had one starter missing. 

See below.

36 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Yes Hickey and Patterson is only losing ‘1 player from out starting 11’ but as I’ve said that’s both our starting right backs and puts us down to a compete haddy like Ralton, as said most nations would see some drop off going down to their third choice right back. 

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

See below.

We have one ‘starting RB’, Hickey. 

Clarke chose to start Ralston and persist with him. 

1 minute ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Makes no difference. No strikers and no wingers 

There was a very good striker sitting on the bench for 90% of our time at the tournament. 

He’s a bald fraud. For our next manger can I request a non baldy, such as the Moyesiah, a man with far greater pedigree and standing within the game. ‘Oh some West Ham fans didn’t like him’ - Clarke has never managed at such a big club and probably never will. He’ll never win a European trophy or manage for two decades in the top league in England. He’ll never even be considered for a job at the biggest club in England, let alone appointed.

Appoint Moyes. Clarke out.

5 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

I watched the Holland v France and Spain v Italy games on Thursday and Friday, turned both off at half time as they were full of 'safe' sidewards and backwards football. 

If it wasn't for the fact tonight was a Scotland game, I'd likely have done the same. 

I think you're missing the point here. We had told them that this was a game we had to win so they couldn't understand why we did nothing positive or have any shots at goal.

Ultimately when deciding if a manager should stay or go you probably look at the question of 'is the current incumbent going to enable us to progress, or has he done as much as he can?'

In Clarke's case in now looks like the latter. An ability to get enough results to get to (expanded) tournaments, but once there, doesn't look like moving to the 'next' level.

On that basis..the record suggests, if he stays we 'might' get to the WC, but what then?

So, overall, change needed to try and finally get to that 2nd round.

There's an argument that he would be wise to go now under his own steam and history would reflect very kindly on his tenure as scotland manager as it should. 

He's taken us to back to back euros after we'd been in the wilderness for over 2 decades and he's got us into the top tier of the nations league.

We are approaching a world cup campaign that will be difficult and a nations league we are almost certainly going to get relegated from. 

There is either a stubbornness in there or an inability to change things. By the half way point of the qualifiers teams had worked us out and players were going off the boil. There was also the bizarre refusal to even acknowledge the likes of Ryan Gauld, play Lewis Ferguson in a meaningful number of games and the classic Scottish trait of not playing youngsters. 

What's the answer I don't honestly know. 

If the choice is as narrow as Moyes or Clarke, I’d just stick with Clarke. Picking Moyes is just going through the motions with another fairly cautious Scottish manager.

After this latest disastrous Euros campaign, I’m more out than in. That win against Spain seems a lifetime ago.

Taken from match thread. Clarkes comments:

"What's the point he is from Argentina? What's the point? Why is it not a European referee? Trying to be clever. I don't know. I don't understand. I don't understand why he is here and not in his own country refereeing the game. I don't understand how VAR can look at that and say it is not a penalty. It's just my opinion."

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

If the choice is as narrow as Moyes or Clarke, I’d just stick with Clarke. Picking Moyes is just going through the motions with another fairly cautious Scottish manager.

After this latest disastrous Euros campaign, I’m more out than in. That win against Spain seems a lifetime ago.

Exactly.  Be utterly pointless replacing Clarke with Moyes or mcInness.