Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

27 minutes ago, ekok said:

100% absolutely, spineless, pathetic, negative, never acceptable no matter the outcome.  Not that there was any danger of any other outcome. 

hmm. That's quite a Rangersy post. You aren't a Rangers fan by any chance? Were you similarly raging at the manner of the Norway performance in Oslo?

Also, what happened to this?

On 24/11/2023 at 19:32, ekok said:

On our day we can compete with the best, or lose to teams we should be beating.  We could just as easily gub Italy or lose to Estonia, both entirely possible. If they qualify. 

Just lets enjoy the fact we absolutely 100% deserved  to qualify and embrace the occasion.

One  of my favourite tunes " que sera " should be our National Anthem. 

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

hmm. That's quite a Rangersy post. You aren't a Rangers fan by any chance? Were you similarly raging at the manner of the Norway performance in Oslo?

Also, what happened to this?

That's a good quote, and at the time he posted it I'd say everyone thought that. It just shows how bad that run of games affected us.

And just how poor at the euros we were that he's went from that to having seen enough.

24 minutes ago, Ranana Ban said:

That's a good quote, and at the time he posted it I'd say everyone thought that. It just shows how bad that run of games affected us.

And just how poor at the euros we were that he's went from that to having seen enough.

People changing their opinions when the circumstances change? Unacceptable!

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Qualifying is nice, but it is just that, qualifying. The purpose of football is to win tournaments, or at least try to win them. We need better players for that. That’s not really down to Clarke though. He’s got a team with a few good midfielders and a few good full backs. That team’s not winning anything, despite all the roaring about this being the best team for a generation, so qualifying is likely as good as it gets. We Just make up the numbers. Getting out the group would be success.

It doesn’t help that it’s June these tournaments get played. Our performances in June, whether at tournaments or in qualifying are often poor. In recent years I’m remembering that pumping in Ireland and the WC play-off loss to Ukraine.

I suppose there is still time for Clarke to make an announcement but if he doesn’t then good luck to him, he obviously thinks he can get us to the World Cup.

Thank you!

Have a green dot on me! Well deserved.

A reasoned, measured and well thought out retort.

Usually, the replied here end with "Yo mamma!".

I agree, in the most part.

With the players at our disposal I'd say that Clarke is getting everything out of them.

Generally, I just think people should calm the f down.

People are acting like Steve Clarke has us losing to everyone in qualification.

The sooner our domestic game gets serious and introduced a limit on foreigners, etc, the better.

---

(The following isn't directed at you)

Talking of "Yo mamma!" If you took out the snide, toxic and personal remarks and attacks and agendas,, this thread would be 10 pages deep.

Pretty much why I don't read 99% (or engage with 99% of the people here) replies to my posts, as It'll plus usually be childish personal abuse directed at me.

It's time for this place to stop being so tribal and toxic.

Time to grow up.

Got beef with someone? Have some Cajones and take up over PM or in person. Cut out the cyber-courage and audience approval.

I would be embarrassed with myself if I bombarded people with red dots and done nothing but drop sarky and arsey comments.

It's just bully mentally where you're seeking approval from the mob and encouraging them to keep the cycle of hate going.

The good thing about this forum Is that you can identify the sad sacks giving the red dots.

Personally, I have a rule to just give people green dots. Red dots are mean spirited. Particularly if they're just in a strategic manner.

People can drown me in red dots for all I care. It's a backhanded compliment.

People are spending precious moments of their life, adding up to hours, days, week, years, etc, on a person who doesn't give them a second thought.

Talk about ego food.

PS: My ego doesn't require food.

Edited by Chripper

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Would you have been upset at the performance levels if the outcome had been different?

So why then were fans and the media had a go at Clarke for the Gibraltar performance (which we won) and were labeled negative normans different. By your (very flawed logic) we should have ignored it and celebrated a victory. 

I have been involved in running a team and coaching players. I know what I am looking for in a performance. There have been plenty of times I have watched a game that we have won and not being happy. 

You keep spouting this nonsense, which makes me think you are trolling or are that blinkered to Steve Clarke you cannot see the reality in front of you. I have no problem with people wanting Clarke to stay (I dont) but I really can't stand someone telling me (and others) that we are wrong and shouldn't want him to leave as we dont know anything about the game!

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Thank you!

With the players at our disposal I'd say that Clarke is getting everything out of them.

The sooner our domestic game gets serious and introduced a limit on foreigners, etc, the better.

On the points in bold I agree with your last point and this is something that is need quickly. On the point above I agree with but the team's form has been pretty poor since we qualified and imo his time is up. But like I said above I have no issue with anyone who disagrees and wants to debate properly.

12 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

On the points in bold I agree with your last point and this is something that is need quickly. On the point above I agree with but the team's form has been pretty poor since we qualified and imo his time is up. But like I said above I have no issue with anyone who disagrees and wants to debate properly.

I don't agree with the bolded part. Clarke deserves to see his contract up, at the very least.

I respect your opinion, though.

(Different opinions should always be welcomed here and treated with respect, as opposed to the mob with pitchforks and torches)

52 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I think that it, I also have no problem with people thinking clarke can turn it around. Although I'd disagree.

So there's 2 camps although theres very little support for steve. And a 3rd smaller camp of a couple of dumplings who think we did well.

On 21/07/2024 at 15:52, Butters Scotch said:

Rob Page at Wales did fairly well with them, got them to knockouts at tournament football but the Welsh FA weren't scared to punt him as they knew he took them as far as he could. It's a similar situation to where Clarke is so why are we persisting, we need a fresh perspective, someone with different coaching ideas to take this team forward.

Yep, Wales don't piss about. He got them to the Euros last 16, then the WC then to a penalty shootout for the next Euros. They identified that it was going stale and took action. 
Can you imagine the SFA ever doing that? Wales might bomb out on the next qualifying, but I would put more money on them making an impression on another tournament before we ever will. 

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

Thank you!

---

(The following isn't directed at you)

Talking of "Yo mamma!" If you took out the snide, toxic and personal remarks and attacks and agendas,, this thread would be 10 pages deep.

Pretty much why I don't read 99% (or engage with 99% of the people here) replies to my posts, as It'll plus usually be childish personal abuse directed at me.

It's time for this place to stop being so tribal and toxic.

Time to grow up.

Got beef with someone? Have some Cajones and take up over PM or in person. Cut out the cyber-courage and audience approval.

I would be embarrassed with myself if I bombarded people with red dots and done nothing but drop sarky and arsey comments.

Why are your posts always big long dramatic essays man, very much a 'look at me, give me all the attention' type posts.

Edited by Butters Scotch

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Why are you posts always big long dramatic essays man, very much a 'look at me, give me all the attention' type posts.

Every sentence is a new paragraph, like a tabloid rag.

3 hours ago, immcinto said:

Yep, Wales don't piss about. He got them to the Euros last 16, then the WC then to a penalty shootout for the next Euros. They identified that it was going stale and took action. 
Can you imagine the SFA ever doing that? Wales might bomb out on the next qualifying, but I would put more money on them making an impression on another tournament before we ever will. 

Yup and if anything Wales sacking Page is harsher than it would be Clarke getting his jotters. Wales are emerging from the post-Bale era and consequently struggling for quality and an identity.

Conversely we built up something of a head of steam only for it to unravel spectacularly with the personnel more or less unchanged, yet according to some here, and the SFA, sacking Clarke is in the realm of the reckless and unthinkable.

4 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

So why then were fans and the media had a go at Clarke for the Gibraltar performance (which we won) and were labeled negative normans different. By your (very flawed logic) we should have ignored it and celebrated a victory. 

Fans and the media didn't have a go for the Scotland performance against Gibraltar. They had a go because of the outcome. If Scotland had won 4-nil or 5-nil then the fans would've been fine. It was the final result that was the issue, the outcome - not the performance itself.

A primary element of the Gibraltar game (and the Finland friendly) was about minutes on the pitch. It was The National teams equivalent of a pre-season game. Clarke stated that prior to kick-off (link below). This game a perfect example of fans and media not really understanding what is trying to be achieved from a game. 

https://youtu.be/aTbx2HgvYUY?si=4mYHVsORCmskFvPL&t=178

4 hours ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

I have been involved in running a team and coaching players. I know what I am looking for in a performance. There have been plenty of times I have watched a game that we have won and not being happy. 

How do you like when punters off the street start telling you how you should be coaching your players?

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fans and the media didn't have a go for the Scotland performance against Gibraltar. They had a go because of the outcome. If Scotland had won 4-nil or 5-nil then the fans would've been fine. It was the final result that was the issue, the outcome - not the performance itself.

A primary element of the Gibraltar game (and the Finland friendly) was about minutes on the pitch. It was The National teams equivalent of a pre-season game. Clarke stated that prior to kick-off (link below). This game a perfect example of fans and media not really understanding what is trying to be achieved from a game. 

https://youtu.be/aTbx2HgvYUY?si=4mYHVsORCmskFvPL&t=178

If the performances in the pre-Euros matches hadn't been carried into the Euros themselves then you might have some kind of point. As it was, alarm bells were raised on the back of those matches and those concerns were then vindicated, and then some, by the tournament performances. E.g. our toothlessness against Hungary mirrored in particular the Northern Ireland friendly.

Sad this because I used to enjoy some of ‘numbers’ posts on here but clearly the Euros has absolutely broken him and they are now making this section almost unreadable. That’ll be them on ignore. 

As for the outcome dictating everything, it obviously has a massive influence, but being at the games, by the time we got into the late stages against Hungary I’d actually stopped caring because we’d been so poor throughout.  It was actually kind of comforting after the game because I was able to console myself with the fact that the paucity of our performance didn’t warrant progress and we’d ultimately got what we deserved. 

Edited by Londonwell

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Sad this because I used to enjoy some of ‘numbers’ posts on here but clearly the Euros has absolutely broken him and they are now making this section almost unreadable. That’ll be him in ignore. 

As for the outcome dictating everything, it obviously has a massive influence, but being at the games, by the time we got into the late stages against Hungary I’d actually stopped caring because we’d been so poor throughout.  It was actually kind of comforting after the game because I was able to comfort myself with the fact that the paucity of our performance didn’t warrant progress and we’d ultimately got what we deserved. 

I was texting a pal during the Hungary game and at the end we both said we were kind of relieved it was over. It was all too dire and punishing to have seen us somehow fluke our way into the last 16. Aspects of the Swiss game did give me some hope, but when I saw the line-up and formation for Hungary I started getting some seriously bad vibes.

33 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

Wales are emerging from the post-Bale era and consequently struggling for quality and an identity.

Folk on this thread would use that justification for keeping a manager in place until the end of time.