Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 hour ago, Old Bing said:

The last paragraph there is a pretty depressing read tbh.

The fans opinion has certainly turned, I reckon another shit show in Portugal and the fans and press will hopefully put on alot of pressure.

I'd quite like to look forward to the world cup qualifiers.

A shit show in Portugal is almost guarantee 

Frightening place to go when in our form

22 hours ago, Chripper said:

Did Brendan Rodgers get the blame when Gerrard slipped up against Chelsea in 2014?

Did SAF get the blame when Massimo Taibi let a Southampton shot go between his legs in 1999?

Did Craig Brown shoulder the blame when Gary McAllister had his penalty saved by David Season at Euro 96?

No. No. And, no.

Blaming Steve Clarke for ridiculous tackles by Ralston and Hanley is even more ridiculous than the tackles themselves.

By all metrics and stats, apart from goals (which were two penalties) we were the better team against Poland.

We lost via two stupid penalties after a stupid pass from McLean.

Let's compare the starting XIs.

On paper, Poland should be mopping the floor with us. They didn't.

Scotland:

EPL: 3

La Liga: 2

Serie A: 1

English Championship: 3

SPL: 1

English League One: 1

Poland:

EPL: 2

La Liga: 1

Serie A: 4

Ligue 1: 2

Turkish Super Liga: 2

If so-called fans want to spend the remainder of the evening crying over tonight's defeat and calling for Clarke to be sacked.

Fine.

Maybe it would be good for their collective mental health if they stopped supporting Scotland till Steve Clarke's contract runs out in a couple of years.

Cuz, ya know, not qualifying for tournaments is better for mental health....

Given that I've vowed to not red dot anybody here, I have to state: you are the biggest roaster on the internet, ever.

I absolutely hope you are an AI bot, otherwise,  well.....

When Steve Clarke leaves (2026) I'd love David Moyes to get the gig.

In the meantime, West Ham's flashy new manager will most probably be fired by Christmas, leading West Ham to flash the Moyes signal and beg him to save them for a third time.

When he stabilises the ship. Finishes just high enough to qualify for Europe. The 25/26 season he'll finish in the top 6. Win another European trophy.

Then he'll be let go as the fans want flashy prime Brazilian football.

Then he'll be appointed Scotland boss when Steve Clarke moseys off into the sunset.

Heard it here first.

At least Malky has a job at the moment, so we're safe for now.

Here are some odds from the end of the Euros, for what it's worth. I presume Darren and Duncan Ferguson are included because of their surname?

image.png.c8b13f8855ec49d2ab043f5f76de46ed.png

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Here are some odds from the end of the Euros, for what it's worth. I presume Darren and Duncan Ferguson are included because of their surname?

Russell Martin is a great shout. 

He played right back for Norwich. Get him in as player-manager. Job done.

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

Some of the privileged comments from some so- called Scotland fans is verging on English fan territory.

We are mixing it with Poland, Portugal and Croatia because of the good work Steve Clarke had done.

We have qualified for two European Championships because of the good work Steve Clarke has done.

People would do well to remember the two decades where Scotland failed to qualify for a tournament and could barely string three passes together.

Personally, I'd rather finish bottom of a European Championships group than fail to qualify.

I'd rather get beat (unfairly) by Poland than beat the likes of Kazakhstan or Estonia.

Kleenex must be raking it in with the tears from a bunch of privileged Scottish people.

I was going to replace "people" with "fans", but.. nah.

All this negativity will definitely be affecting the players. So yeah, you lot continue giving Clarke pelters. That's super helpful.

Whose side are you lot on?

Oh. Newsflash: We won't beat Portugal. Load up on your Kleenex early.

Can't take anything you say seriously after seeing your post yesterday saying Scot Gemmill gets your vote for succeeding Clarke.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Quite a depressing list that 🤣

Rafa Benitez would be interesting tho, he's not had much success in recent years but certainly is the most successful coach on there.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Brendan Rogers 😆 

Someone at the bookies having a laugh there. f**k me .

We're at the 'Well we can't do much worse' stage for me and I'd roll the dice on a wildcard choice. Clarkeball is unwatchable pish. We're going backwards rapidly. 

Good chance no one else does better but I'd rather find that out and take a punt they can rather than doggedly soldier on with the shite Clarke serves up.

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

Some of the privileged comments from some so- called Scotland fans is verging on English fan territory.

It appears you share the same racism/xenophobia as Steve Clarke. 

I've lived far more of my adult life in England versus Scotland and, I've chosen to do so. Of course, many English fans are dicks, however, I'm unaware of a situation similar to the Govan lot whereby native football fans active support another country.

18 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

The same could be said about Gordan Strachan when he was at the end of his time as Scotland manager. I know he didn't have the same success in qualifying for the Euros as Clarke, but he was a popular guy (and appointment) when he started and became very dislikeable by the end.

I started to dislike him after the 'quick word/velocity' quip. And, his genetics comment when Messi had been one of the top two players for years on the planet was totally hatstand.

Edited by Dan Electro

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

I'd rather get beat (unfairly) by Poland than beat the likes of Kazakhstan or Estonia.

There was absolutely nothing unfair about Thursday's result. 

Hospital pass, lose possession, strike from distance, howler from 'keeper: goal.

Justified penalty: goal.

Justified penalty: goal.

Handball before goal effort: no goal.

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

We are mixing it with Poland, Portugal and Croatia because of the good work Steve Clarke had done.

We have qualified for two European Championships because of the good work Steve Clarke has done.

People would do well to remember the two decades where Scotland failed to qualify for a tournament and could barely string three passes together.

Personally, I'd rather finish bottom of a European Championships group than fail to qualify.

Kleenex must be raking it in with the tears from a bunch of privileged Scottish people.

I was going to replace "people" with "fans", but.. nah.

All this negativity will definitely be affecting the players. So yeah, you lot continue giving Clarke pelters. That's super helpful.

Whose side are you lot on?

Oh. Newsflash: We won't beat Portugal. Load up on your Kleenex early.

Wrong.

Clarke has done very well at times but I’d argue that the main driver behind our success in recent years is that he’s had access to a much better talent pool than any of his predecessors for the past 20 years.

The bulk of the squad now are playing in the English premier league with a few playing in top class foreign leagues.

The previous managers were working with squads that were a mix of old firm players and bog standard English championship players.

Clarke has:

- Robertson who was a key player for Klopp’s Liverpool side who made three champions league finals (winning one) and their first league title win in decades.

- McGinn is one of Aston Villa’s best players as they just made it into the top four.

- Kieran Tierney was one of Arsenal’s best players as they turned their fortunes around until they eventually got too good for him, but still good enough when healthy to play for a top half EPL side or a very good foreign side.

- McTominay and Gilmour were both under appreciated in the English game but both have been signed by a world class manager who wants to get the team back into the champions league.

- Hickey, Doak and Ferguson all look like players with the talent to go further in the game.

If you look back at other Scotland teams in the past 20 years, guys like Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong or Che Adams would have probably been pretty much their best player, whereas now they are borderline starters for us.

Clarke has done a very good job but it’s disingenuous to give him all the credit.

2 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Would prefer the Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez combination. 

Only murder in the buildings.

(Where the "buildings" refers to any football ground)

Edited by Gordon EF