Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

23 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

A bit dramatic to be honest, as much as Clarke has his failings and made plenty of mistakes, he is proud and Scottish like any of us on here and wants the team to do as well as any of us.

If SFA are keeping him on then let's get behind the team not against it and hope he turns it around quickly. 

Agreed.

I was thoroughly unimpressed in the summer but as I said then, I think cases could be made both to dispense with him and retain him afterwards.  It's not entirely clear cut.

I'm certainly not enthused or excited by the fact he's staying on, but I'm sort of ok with it.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed.

I was thoroughly unimpressed in the summer but as I said then, I think cases could be made both to dispense with him and retain him afterwards.  It's not entirely clear cut.

I'm certainly not enthused or excited by the fact he's staying on, but I'm sort of ok with it.

If your on the fence and his responses in that press conference didn't sway you against him. I'd say you were never really on the fence.

27 minutes ago, Binos said:

Who the f**k else are we going to get 

Has the old "who else we gonna get" line not been done to death.

If you seriously think that for the money and lifestyle we offer that we couldn't get another good manager. Then frankly, I would suggest you don't have much of a clue about football.

Theres a whole thread dedicated to it, with some excellent suggestions. Go and have a read yourself.

Edited by Old Bing

6 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

If you seriously think that for the money and lifestyle we offer that we couldn't get another good manager. Then frankly, I would suggest you don't have much of a clue about football.

Theres a whole thread dedicated to it, with some excellent suggestions. Go and have a read yourself.

Well there's a thread dedicated 

Must be right 

11 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

No, no. I imagine if Clarke quit we would just leave the position open indefinitely and never hire another Scotland manager ever again.

Back to the good old days where the SFA picked the team and we never failed to qualify for tournaments!

14 minutes ago, Binos said:

Well there's a thread dedicated 

Must be right 

Wether they are right or wrong it's impossible to say without appointing a new manager and seeing if we improve. But people are allowed to have an opinion are they not.

11 hours ago, Old Bing said:

Is that the Next Permanent Manager thread? Which of the alternatives did you favour?

That thread hasn’t had a post on it since July. Steve Clarke will still be in charge for the Nations League campaign and possibly the World Cup qualifiers too. Such is life.

However, unless he manages to get a tune out this squad again - quite possible once the injured players are back - he’ll be away.

33 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Steve Clarke will still be in charge for the Nations League campaign and possibly the World Cup qualifiers too. Such is life.

However, unless he manages to get a tune out this squad again - quite possible once the injured players are back - he’ll be away.

The earliest Clarke will step away will be if and when we fail to qualify for the 2026 World Cup. He stated that he has no current intention to manage Scotland beyond the 2026 World Cup. That's your range.

The Nations League won't decide Clarke's future and fan opinion won't impact that. Hopefully the SFA are  thinking about a successor as Clarke won't be in charge beyond 2026.

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Is that the Next Permanent Manager thread? Which of the alternatives did you favour?

That thread hasn’t had a post on it since July. Steve Clarke will still be in charge for the Nations League campaign and possibly the World Cup qualifiers too. Such is life.

I posted I think 1 maybe 2 suggestions at the time, and thought there were a few other good suggestions.

The injury problems are minimal, all nations have injuries. If there was one team at the euros with a full squad to pick from every game I'd be amazed. So we're no different in that regard.

28 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The earliest Clarke will step away will be if and when we fail to qualify for the 2026 World Cup. He stated that he has no current intention to manage Scotland beyond the 2026 World Cup. That's your range.

The Nations League won't decide Clarke's future and fan opinion won't impact that. Hopefully the SFA are  thinking about a successor as Clarke won't be in charge beyond 2026.

Id say that's dependent on results, we're not going to continue our current streak indefinitely. Being unable to beat anyone bar Gibraltar.

Even with clarkes contract he's so attached to.

49 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think a horrible Nations League campaign could change that…

We can’t be going into the qualifiers without a win in twelve competitive games for example, particularly if there aren’t at least signs of improving performances. 

I think it would need to be truly awful, but think it is possible he could leave. 

1 hour ago, Old Bing said:

I posted I think 1 maybe 2 suggestions at the time, and thought there were a few other good suggestions.

The injury problems are minimal, all nations have injuries. If there was one team at the euros with a full squad to pick from every game I'd be amazed. So we're no different in that regard.

While minimal, the injury problems were to key players. We only have about 7 international players who are decent quality. Hickey was a big miss. McTominay didn’t look right. Neither did McGinn. If our star turns aren’t at it, any manager would struggle to make us a good side.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I agree. 

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

While minimal, the injury problems were to key players. We only have about 7 international players who are decent quality. Hickey was a big miss. McTominay didn’t look right. Neither did McGinn. If our star turns aren’t at it, any manager would struggle to make us a good side.

It's the first I've heard of any suggestions of an injury to McTominay or Mcginn. 

Possibly they didn't look right as they were being asked to dribble round 4 players and score with no support🤣 it's difficult to play well with 80% of your team standing behind you.

International players is entirely subjective. As is squad quality.

But I'd say in my opinion our squad is comparable with alot of teams. And better than a few teams. All of which performed better.

Do you really think Hungry had a much stronger squad to pick from than us? Or Georgia? Or Albania, or Slovenia, or Serbia, or Ukraine, or Slovakia, or Romania?

Cos they all played much better than us. And they all will have been missing players. And the answer to why that is is blindingly obvious.

3 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

It's the first I've heard of any suggestions of an injury to McTominay or Mcginn. 

Possibly they didn't look right as they were being asked to dribble round 4 players and score with no support🤣 it's difficult to play well with 80% of your team standing behind you.

International players is entirely subjective. As is squad quality.

But I'd say in my opinion our squad is comparable with alot of teams. And better than a few teams. All of which performed better.

Do you really think Hungry had a much stronger squad to pick from than us? Or Georgia? Or Albania, or Slovenia, or Serbia, or Ukraine, or Slovakia, or Romania?

Cos they all played much better than us. And they all will have been missing players. And the answer to why that is is blindingly obvious.

McTominay was reported as injured before the tournament. McGinn just looked done. Not sure what the story was there.

I use my eyes and we only have a few decent players. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves on.

Edited by Scary Bear

Just now, Scary Bear said:

McTominay was reported as injured before the tournament. McGinn just looked done. Not sure what the story was there.

So you think McTominay played all 3 games injured. And McGinn had an unreported virus but still played all 3 games.

Ok 👍 

13 minutes ago, Old Bing said:

So you think McTominay played all 3 games injured. And McGinn had an unreported virus but still played all 3 games.

Ok 👍 

I think McTominay was just back from injury and I think McGinn was f**ked after a long season. 

I think our squad is pretty average and if McTominay, McGinn, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, and to a lesser extent Gilmour and Christie aren’t playing at the peak of their form, then the team looks poor.

The rest of the squad is filler.

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I think McTominay was just back from injury and I think McGinn was f**ked after a long season. 

I think our squad is pretty average and if McTominay, McGinn, Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, and to a lesser extent Gilmour and Christie aren’t playing at the peak of their form, then the team looks poor.

The rest of the squad is filler.

Sure I agree definitely 👍 they both played 3 games injured and nobody mentioned it. Not even Steve who's getting his excuses out, but just forgot this one.

Again how does our squad compare to other teams? Your only looking inward.