Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Think what people need to bare in mind as well. At some point were going to win a game again. For some that will cancel out bottling two euros which is weird. But you know it will happen. 

If the euros were replayed again from scratch next wk. Would we play any differently or go in again meekly pull down our drawers and hope it's gentle? 

Weve seen two major finals, and enough play off matches to know it would be the same cowardly stuff.

On 07/09/2024 at 08:45, Gordon EF said:

The managerial dream team of Russel, Ricky, and Steve Martin! Can't do much worse at this point.

Have it on record from pals who did silver service up in the actors' mansions in Aberdeenshire that Steve Martin is an absolutely great guy.

Also he isn't bald, from Saltcoats or inordinately fond of mediocre players from the English middle tiers.

2-1 loss that really should have been more like a 4 or 5 - 1 scudding, we were very jammy that game not to concede more than we did. 

For me, Clarke has got his subbies wrong once again. Why does he continually take Dykes off who was winning a lot of the balls getting fired upto him. Once that outball went we started struggling keeping possession of the ball upfront. 

Doak giving 5 minutes? His pace would of been ideal for the counter attack in a game like this where we didn't have much of the ball. Should of been brought on earlier. 

Morgan? Had the fresh legs but was still completely skinned in an area where it was easier to show the boy out of play or make him go backwards which resulted In the cross for their second goal, amateur stuff.

Gauld? Was this really the game to be throwing him into when we were struggling to hold on for a point? 

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Have it on record from pals who did silver service up in the actors' mansions in Aberdeenshire that Steve Martin is an absolutely great guy.

Also he isn't bald, from Saltcoats or inordinately fond of mediocre players from the English middle tiers.

The first part of that second paragraph really confused me for a second. I was thinking "does everyone think steve martin is bald and pretending he's not"🤣

Get him to f**k. He’s clearly holding the team back and cares more about giving his favourites caps than actually giving our younger players a chance. 

Hanley and McLean still getting called up never mind starting is a disgrace. 

Agree SC seems to be the master of making things worse. He has a better than average squad,  our best for a very long time. 

He just doesn't play his cards right.  So needed to either bring on Doak to stretch them , and/ or bring on another CH to bolster the defence.  Waits far too late to do either and the inevitable late goal gubs us. 

These last minute goals are a direct result of him not managing a game properly.  He is actually not a good coach, lucky lucky to have the squad he has. Early days did OK,  but because of the players.  Not once seen him do anything that actually won a game. On the contrary, has managed to muck things up over the last 18 months,  selection,  tactics and subs a disgrace. 

26 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

2-1 loss that really should have been more like a 4 or 5 - 1 scudding, we were very jammy that game not to concede more than we did. 

For me, Clarke has got his subbies wrong once again. Why does he continually take Dykes off who was winning a lot of the balls getting fired upto him. Once that outball went we started struggling keeping possession of the ball upfront. 

Doak giving 5 minutes? His pace would of been ideal for the counter attack in a game like this where we didn't have much of the ball. Should of been brought on earlier. 

Morgan? Had the fresh legs but was still completely skinned in an area where it was easier to show the boy out of play or make him go backwards which resulted In the cross for their second goal, amateur stuff.

Gauld? Was this really the game to be throwing him into when we were struggling to hold on for a point? 

I’m not a Clarke lover atm but the last 3 feel like classic “criticise the decisions because of the outcome” sort of thing. Rather than there actually being anything wrong with the subs themselves.

If Doak was put on earlier it could easily have been him getting skinned at the goal instead of Morgan. That was always the risk with changing the wide players, going forward you want the pace of a Morgan or Doak but neither will offer the protection that Christie or McGinn were.

And on Gauld the only other midfielder on the bench was Barron so I’m not sure what alternative you’re proposing when McLean gets injured.

I agree about Dykes though.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I’m not a Clarke lover atm but the last 3 feel like classic “criticise the decisions because of the outcome” sort of thing. Rather than there actually being anything wrong with the subs themselves.

If Doak was put on earlier it could easily have been him getting skinned at the goal instead of Morgan. That was always the risk with changing the wide players, going forward you want the pace of a Morgan or Doak but neither will offer the protection that Christie or McGinn were.

And on Gauld the only other midfielder on the bench was Barron so I’m not sure what alternative you’re proposing when McLean gets injured.

I agree about Dykes though.

Personally don't agree, I felt it was similar to the Poland game where we seemed to become a lot more open shortly after the subs came on, inviting even more pressure on to us thst inevitably was going to lead to conceding a goal. 

Doak is the one player we have that has any real pace in this team and I'm struggling to see what Morgan provides after a few of his cameos, definitely would of had Doak on before Morgan in this game. 

As much as I like Gauld, Barron could of solidified the midfield a bit more. 

I just don't think Clarke has a clue when it comes to making changes in games and it has costed us in a number of important matches now 

1 hour ago, ekok said:

Agree SC seems to be the master of making things worse. He has a better than average squad,  our best for a very long time. 

He just doesn't play his cards right.  So needed to either bring on Doak to stretch them , and/ or bring on another CH to bolster the defence.  Waits far too late to do either and the inevitable late goal gubs us. 

These last minute goals are a direct result of him not managing a game properly.  He is actually not a good coach, lucky lucky to have the squad he has. Early days did OK,  but because of the players.  Not once seen him do anything that actually won a game. On the contrary, has managed to muck things up over the last 18 months,  selection,  tactics and subs a disgrace. 

What a load of crap. 

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

^^^ another individual  moaning his ass off. Shut up you idiot...we conceded because McKenna was determined to keep his eyes on Ronaldo....not the ball.

# oh and I forgot..... Portugal are a better team than us. Sometimes you just have to fes up.

Edited by TONTROOPER

2 hours ago, Kadouken_ said:

Get him to f**k. He’s clearly holding the team back and cares more about giving his favourites caps than actually giving our younger players a chance. 

Hanley and McLean still getting called up never mind starting is a disgrace. 

Holding WHAT team back?

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

What a load of crap. 

Suggest the last 14, not 4 , but 14 results might suggest different.  I have no idea why anyone can't see the obvious problem.  He is a thrawn, self important waste of space.  The only reason his teams have had any success is his luck in inheriting a decent group of players. 

Even tonight,  riding our luck big time, he is so bloody stubborn he waited far too long to change things to see out the game. A draw would have been fine, he hasn't got a clue how to use substitutions to effect. 

15 minutes ago, ekok said:

Suggest the last 14, not 4 , but 14 results might suggest different.  I have no idea why anyone can't see the obvious problem.  He is a thrawn, self important waste of space.  The only reason his teams have had any success is his luck in inheriting a decent group of players. 

Even tonight,  riding our luck big time, he is so bloody stubborn he waited far too long to change things to see out the game. A draw would have been fine, he hasn't got a clue how to use substitutions to effect. 

You sir........are the epitomy of the Clarke-out-syndrome that would see our national team end up with another Berti Vogts.

Be off with you.

Folk need to remember we're basically the Partick Thistle of the NL top tier. Promoted hopefuls, who are getting standard results in the top flight - single goal defeats against the better sides - where in each we've looked good in patches - which isn't world-ending.

Take a big step back, 1 win in 14 is f**king atrocious, definitely, but a bit of perspective is needed here. Romped our way to the Euros, but have hit the skids since. Northern Ireland apart, we've not been on the end of any ridiculous defeats (Germany is the exception, being the opener to the Euros with so much expectation and attention).

I want better, but I'm wary of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by Gordopolis