Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

32 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

That would only get us 3rd which puts us in a play off against someone 2nd place in League B. We'd need to win both games (and turn over an extra goal rather than all being by 1) to keep us up without the play off.

3rd may give us a play off for the world cup 

Still going on I see. Anyone reasonable would have quit after Germany. Good show last nite but changed the most dangerous outlet we had I Zagred and switched players to opposite. Confused?

Not alone. Haven't cried In my pint since the Euros. What a blown chance and that was you Steve. Da the right thing

15 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Still going on I see. Anyone reasonable would have quit after Germany. Good show last nite but changed the most dangerous outlet we had I Zagred and switched players to opposite. Confused?

Not alone. Haven't cried In my pint since the Euros. What a blown chance and that was you Steve. Da the right thing

Freudian slip

We had a long discussion about this post match last night as a group and I'm finding myself back at 50/50 on in or out.

The facts are 1 win in 16 games. Complete f**k ups in the run of games over the last year into the Euros, playing 3 of the semi finalists; the tactics particularly against Hungary turning the game into a basketball match for 15 minutes and the stubborn refusal to change how we play. The Hungary game still angers me to this day - for a man of such experience, to produce that approach is one of the most idiotic approaches to a game I've ever seen.

However, that performance last night was everything good about Clarke's teams. Stifling a better team than us, switched on defenders, blooding younger players and we had a couple of good chances to win the game. If we had shown the same attacking intent against Hungary that we showed in Zagreb, there would be far less pressure on Clarke.

Based on the last 3 performances, I have softened to 50/50 and judge it again after the Poland game.

5 hours ago, Ken Deans said:

He clearly swapped doak with Christie to give ralston more protection down that side. Worked, ralston had his best game in a while. 
Plus our best chance came from doak down the left. Mctominay should’ve done better.

20 hours ago, LiviLion said:

That would only get us 3rd which puts us in a play off against someone 2nd place in League B. We'd need to win both games (and turn over an extra goal rather than all being by 1) to keep us up without the play off.

Ah shite, so only top 2 are safe then in a 4 team league? And we thought a 12 team SPL was brutal :D 

That completely passed me by too. It seems a bit OTT having all four positions in a group being consequential, but I suppose I wouldn't be saying that were we to benefit from it in the future. 

14 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

We had a long discussion about this post match last night as a group and I'm finding myself back at 50/50 on in or out.

The facts are 1 win in 16 games. Complete f**k ups in the run of games over the last year into the Euros, playing 3 of the semi finalists; the tactics particularly against Hungary turning the game into a basketball match for 15 minutes and the stubborn refusal to change how we play. The Hungary game still angers me to this day - for a man of such experience, to produce that approach is one of the most idiotic approaches to a game I've ever seen.

However, that performance last night was everything good about Clarke's teams. Stifling a better team than us, switched on defenders, blooding younger players and we had a couple of good chances to win the game. If we had shown the same attacking intent against Hungary that we showed in Zagreb, there would be far less pressure on Clarke.

Based on the last 3 performances, I have softened to 50/50 and judge it again after the Poland game.

This is all pretty much how I feel too. I have never been as angry at a football manager as I was for that Hungary game. His moronic comments afterwards and lack of any reflection, regret or contrition since (both about the Euros and the third game, and his outburst afterwards) were also extremely poor.  However, he has (belatedly) now made the changes he should have made at the finals in terms of formation and approach and we haven't received the NL pumpings which might have been on the cards if he had ploughed on in his old, stubborn way.

Overall (and I never thought I'd say this in mid-June) there's an argument for keeping him in place for now because we're playing a bit better and the likeliest replacement would be a similarly negative manager in Moyes anyway.

20 hours ago, LiviLion said:

If we win both and Croatia lose to Portugal we will definitely have at least the same goal difference than them, and we've only scored 3 goals fewer than them right now so it's possible we could catch them on goals scored even if they were single goal wins (eg 1-0 v Croatia and 2-1 v Poland, with Croatia losing 1-0 to Portugal).

If that happened it would next come down to away goals scored (which would be 4-4 in my example), number of wins (2-2 in my example) and then finally number of away wins, which in this case would be 1 for us and 0 for Croatia.

Edited by craigkillie

As it stands, third place would buy us a play-off against Georgia, England, Austria, or Wales. Avoid England and the other games look like we'd have a decent chance in, at worst.

It is a bit wild to look at, say, Group B3 and say that at least one of Norway, Austria, and Slovenia will be playing nations like Germany and France in the next edition, while at least one could easily finish on the same number of points and find themselves lining up against Estonia, Cyprus, Bulgaria, or Latvia.

Not really a complaint though; I think the mobility between tiers is perhaps a strength of this format.

image.png.7cd25374bb1db51ca3ce9b57a69d6adb.png