Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 hour ago, PeterRulesOK said:

It was a deliberate up yours to the fans and media from a rotten halfwit of a manager.   He didn't want SHankland in his squad but was forced to take him so treats him like dirt while showing us all who's boss.   

He's pathetic.

Jesus man, i have no love for the international side of the game but that's a wild take

I think a fair and necessary criticism of clarke at the moment is his fashion sense.

He looked like someone's grandad away for a game of golf.

Cmon steve?? 

Same as his football his fashion has to be a bit more forward thinking.

Or maybe full kilt for the hungry game 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Why does Clarke have McTominey taking corners ??? He's one of the best we have at winning headers in the oppositions box , one of our tallest players and strongest just baffling 

Was thinking the very same thing last night too.

7 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Why does Clarke have McTominey taking corners ??? He's one of the best we have at winning headers in the oppositions box , one of our tallest players and strongest just baffling 

It’s not Clarke is it? It’s McPhee, he’s the set-piece guy. I expect he’ll have his reasons and it’s worked a lot for us in the past but I agree McTominay isn’t my first choice for corner taker. 

1 hour ago, PeterRulesOK said:

It's the only one which makes any sense.

HIs interviews where he snaps at anyone who dares question him playing donkeys or leaving our top goalscorer on the bench for 89 minutes in a game we should have won.  

How much more evidence do you need?

Our top goalscorer scored last night btw.

6 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I think a fair and necessary criticism of clarke at the moment is his fashion sense.

He looked like someone's grandad away for a game of golf.

Cmon steve?? 

Same as his football his fashion has to be a bit more forward thinking.

Or maybe full kilt for the hungry game 🤷‍♂️

Has a Scotland manager ever wore a kilt at a game?Would be great to see!

22 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

The closest was during France 98 with Craig Brown and the players walking out before the opening match against Brazil decked out with kilts for a walkabout in the Parc des Princes.

The crowd loved it.

Whatever happens on Sun (barring a German style result/performance) I want to see Steve Clarke to extend his contract.

His current contract expires after the next World Cup. He'll be 62 at the time.

Right now the Italian manager Luciano Spalletti is 65 and the Spanish manager Luis de la Fuente is 62, so Clarke will hardly be over the hill.

If anyone disagrees, try to remember how excruciating it was being on the outside looking in at the previous 9 tournaments (before 2020. I'm not counting 2000, as Craig Brown's team battered England and we should have qualified via the playoffs).

You don't have to try too hard.

Steve Clarke has proven that he can qualify us for tournaments.

7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Whatever happens on Sun (barring a German style result/performance) I want to see Steve Clarke to extend his contract.

His current contract expires after the next World Cup. He'll be 62 at the time.

Right now the Italian manager Luciano Spalletti is 65 and the Spanish manager Luis de la Fuente is 62, so Clarke will hardly be over the hill.

If anyone disagrees, try to remember how excruciating it was being on the outside looking in at the previous 9 tournaments (before 2020. I'm not counting 2000, as Craig Brown's team battered England and we should have qualified via the playoffs).

You don't have to try too hard.

Steve Clarke has proven that he can qualify us for tournaments.

Scotland 0,  England 2 .... England 0, Scotland 1 ....That battered ? Two legged play off. We got battered at Hampden. Not quite as delusional as the claim that Scotland should have beaten Morocco in 98 but getting there.

The only way that I would even contemplate replacing Steve Clarke leaving is if we could replace him with a progressive manager who will keep the successful Clarke tactical template but also build on it.

However, odds are we would replace him with a weakling who would bow to fan and media pressure and we'd revert to a back four when anyone with a semblance of football intelligence can see that we are not equipped for it.

18 years of failure here we come!

I hope the SFA offer him an Extention to his contract after Euro 24.

Edited by SlayerX

59 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

The only way that I would even contemplate replacing Steve Clarke leaving is if we could replace him with a progressive manager who will keep the successful Clarke tactical template but also build on it.

However, odds are we would replace him with a weakling who would bow to fan and media pressure and we'd revert to a back four when anyone with a semblance of football intelligence can see that we are not equipped for it.

18 years of failure here we come!

I hope the SFA offer him an Extention to his contract after Euro 24.

How are scotland not equipped for it

Robertson, tierney, Patterson, hickey are all fantastic fullbacks who wouldn't look out of place in a back 4, mcginn, mctominay and gilmour, they 3 in front of your centre halves offer massive protection and 3 outball options, 

Arguably scotland lack the firepower up front, have done for decades now, but that happens in any system scotland deploy 

If Scotland could find 2 centre halves as good as the fullbacks (or one if tierney plays there) then they are well covered at the back

Denmark 2-0, Ukraine 3-0 and Spain 2-0 are probably the best performances I've ever seen by a Scotland team. 

Austria and Norway away, Serbia in the play-off, and England at the Euros, are some of the best away results.

For the first time in nearly 30 years people with little interest in football are engaged with the Scotland national team. We have players who are household names again.

There have been bad games too, but in the context of supporting Scotland it baffles me that anyone thinks Steve Clarke isn't a good Scotland manager. 

Edited by allyo

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

If Scotland could find 2 centre halves as good as the fullbacks (or one if tierney plays there) then they are well covered at the back

Therein lies the problem.

Our centerbacks play in the SPL, English Championship, Saudi, etc.

Two are currently unattached.

The tournament that we're in right now is the very top level of football. Forging a centerback duo of a centerback from the English Championship and the Saudi league/SPL is just cruel.

We haven't produced top class centerbacks since the early 90s.

Craig Brown didn't change to a trio at the back because he was bored. Neither has Clarke.

They did it because it's to compensate for defensive deficiencies.

Just now, allyo said:

Denmark 2-0, Ukraine 3-0 and Spain 2-0 are probably the best performances I've ever seen by a Scotland team. 

Austria and Norway away, Serbia in the play-off, and England at the Euros, are some of the best away results.

For the first time in nearly 30 people with little interest in football are engaged with the Scotland national team. We have players who are household names again.

There have been bad games too, but in the context of supporting Scotland it baffles me that anyone thinks Steve Clarke isn't a good Scotland manager. 

The downside of that, is that many of them are currently on here with expert views and opinions (mainly about the mistreatment of the great Shankland) 😄

10 hours ago, saint in exile said:

I think he would get slaughtered for it if we lost🤣 but it would be a good laugh him shouting at the sides in a kilt.

I'm working over in Holland just now and one of the guys told me yesterday how he was at a wedding and a Scottish guy wore the traditional skirt 🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

For the first time in nearly 30 years people with little interest in football are engaged with the Scotland national team. We have players who are household names again.

Personally I don't think he's a bad manager. 

But as you say yourself the players are better so he gets judged rightly to a higher standard.