Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

8 minutes ago, Kadouken_ said:

We have one ‘starting RB’, Hickey. 

Clarke chose to start Ralston and persist with him. 

So you think that Clark would have chose to start and persist with Ralston had Patterson been available?

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

2 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Taken from match thread. Clarkes comments:

"What's the point he is from Argentina? What's the point? Why is it not a European referee? Trying to be clever. I don't know. I don't understand. I don't understand why he is here and not in his own country refereeing the game. I don't understand how VAR can look at that and say it is not a penalty. It's just my opinion."

It was a pen but f**k me those comments are desperate and embarrassing 

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

If the choice is as narrow as Moyes or Clarke, I’d just stick with Clarke. Picking Moyes is just going through the motions with another fairly cautious Scottish manager.

After this latest disastrous Euros campaign, I’m more out than in. That win against Spain seems a lifetime ago.

Agreed, why appoint a manager with far more pedigree and achievements in the game (and hair) than some guy who put the cones out for years then had a decent season at fucking Killie. 

We have fairly shit players comparatively. The best chance of success is a relatively defensive formation which is well organised and has a plan when in transition going forwards. Moyes has proven over two decades managing at the top level that he’s capable of doing this. We don’t have the players to play free flowing attacking football. That’s the reality.

He didn't have a great tournament and the drop off over the past few months was worrying. That said, he did manage to rally the team from the disaster that was the Germany game - which suggests the players are with him - and more importantly he lifted us out of mess of the previous 20 years. However sore tonight was, we were knocked out in the last 30 secs of the group stage of a finals. That's some progress compared on not getting near a big event. My kids hadn't seen us in this kind of thing (2021 was good but not quite the same), them and their pals didn't know what being at a major finals was really like. They were so into the past two weeks. And while it was a slightly missed opportunity, he is working in a challenging environment.

So if Clarke fancies having a crack at 2026 I'm fine with that. If it goes wrong then it's time for a change. 

Edited by Waspie

3 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

So you think that Clark would have chose to start and persist with Ralston had Patterson been available?

16C6E34B-0EAB-4355-92E5-751DFEA7F1EC.gif

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

He someone does seem to rate Paterson more than he does Hickey weirdly.   Patterson has been fried for Scotland in his last couple of games too. 

2 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Agreed, why appoint a manager with far more pedigree and achievements in the game (and hair) than some guy who put the cones out for years then had a decent season at fucking Killie. 

We have fairly shit players comparatively. The best chance of success is a relatively defensive formation which is well organised and has a plan when in transition going forwards. Moyes has proven over two decades managing at the top level that he’s capable of doing this. We don’t have the players to play free flowing attacking football. That’s the reality.

Everyone is moaning about the negative cautious football and how stubborn Clarke is.  Why do you think West Ham fans wanted Moyes punted? 

People should genuinely get a grip and stop acting like entitled brats.

A little perspective is required: 

In the previous four years we've qualified for two major tournaments. The previous twenty years before that we qualified for nothing. 

This is a good time to be a Scotland fan. 

Yes. We lost tonight. We went out with a whimper, etc.

it is what it is.

I have no complaints. I feel magnanimous about it. We deserved to be eliminated tonight but the world will still keep on turning and we'll be ready for the World Cup qualifiers when it comes around.

We're lacking a goalscorer, top class centerbacks, a top keeper, a ball winning midfielder, a player with pace and a dribbler. 

On the horizon we have Doak coming through. We have Barron coming through. We have Hickey and Ferguson to come back from injury. We have Miller coming through. 

Will the aforementioned players make a difference? Hickey, Ferguson will and Doak could very well be a generation talent and I think Barron and Miller have potential. 

Sadly there's no keeper or goalscorer on the horizon.

As far as I'm concerned Steve Clarke has credit in the back. He's got us to two tournaments. Yes, we've only taken two points but at least we are qualifying. 

Clarke's contract is up after the World Cup. I said yesterday that I'd offer him a new contract, and I still would. 

We could be in a worse position than being knocked out of a European Championships.

It's hardly worth having a massive pity party.

Onwards and upwards. :)

Edited by Chripper

8 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Taken from match thread. Clarkes comments:

"What's the point he is from Argentina? What's the point? Why is it not a European referee? Trying to be clever. I don't know. I don't understand. I don't understand why he is here and not in his own country refereeing the game. I don't understand how VAR can look at that and say it is not a penalty. It's just my opinion."

Maybe we should get an argentinian manager because they might know what they are doing instead of this clown.

5 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

It was a pen but f**k me those comments are desperate and embarrassing 

It wasnt a penalty, he had no control of the ball and threw himself into the defender, if anything it was a free kick

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

He didn't have a great tournament and the drop off over the past few months was worrying. That said, he did manage to rally the team from the disaster that was the Germany game - which suggests the players are with him - and more importantly he lifted us out of mess of the previous 20 years. However sore tonight was, we were knocked out in the last 30 secs of the group stage of a finals. That's some progress compared on not getting near a big event. My kids hadn't seen us in this kind of thing (2021 was good but not quite the same), them and their pals didn't know what being at a major finals was really like. They were so into the past two weeks. So if Clarke fancies having a crack at 2026 I'm fine with that. If it goes wrong then it's time for a change. 

Reach for the stars.

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I disagree that Moyes is the answer to Scotland’s problems. He’s had a largely unsuccessful managerial career, unless you see making up the numbers and not winning much as success. That was with the luxury of being able to sign people for decent money. That said, he’s still the best current Scottish manager in terms of status. 

He’s the kind of boy the SFA lap up, so good luck to him. 

4 minutes ago, Waspie said:

He didn't have a great tournament and the drop off over the past few months was worrying. That said, he did manage to rally the team from the disaster that was the Germany game - which suggests the players are with him - and more importantly he lifted us out of mess of the previous 20 years. However sore tonight was, we were knocked out in the last 30 secs of the group stage of a finals. That's some progress compared on not getting near a big event. My kids hadn't seen us in this kind of thing (2021 was good but not quite the same), them and their pals didn't know what being at a major finals was really like. They were so into the past two weeks. And while it was a slightly missed opportunity, he is working in a challenging environment.

So if Clarke fancies having a crack at 2026 I'm fine with that. If it goes wrong then it's time for a change. 

Not really mate, aye the goal was in the last minute, but we were out in thr event of a draw anyway

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It wasnt a penalty, he had no control of the ball and threw himself into the defender, if anything it was a free kick

Having control of the ball isn’t a prerequisite for the award of a penalty. 

Need to be objective and look at the bigger picture. Whoever manages the side is working with more or less the same group of limited players.

SFA as always is the problem here. Why are our kids still playing 11 a side competitive games on full size pitches? Just focus on skills and technical side until the teenage years then start introducing competitive matches. Then we might have a team of 11 players who are comfortable on the ball, have mastered the basics and are coachable.

Then we can worry about who the manager should be. 

8 minutes ago, Chripper said:

People should genuinely get a grip and stop acting like entitled brats.

A little perspective is required: 

In the previous four years we've qualified for two major tournaments. The previous twenty years before that we qualified for nothing. 

This is a good time to be a Scotland fan. 

Yes. We lost tonight. We went out with a whimper, etc.

it is what it is.

I have no complaints. I feel magnanimous about it. We deserved to be eliminated tonight but the world will still keep on turning and we'll be ready for the World Cup qualifiers when it comes around.

We're lacking a goalscorer, top class centerbacks, a top keeper, a ball winning midfielder, a player with pace and a dribbler. 

On the horizon we have Doak coming through. We have Barron coming through. We have Hickey and Ferguson to come back from injury. We have Miller coming through. 

Will the aforementioned players make a difference? Hickey, Ferguson will and Doak could very well be a generation talent and I think Barron and Miller have potential. 

Sadly there's no keeper or goalscorer on the horizon.

As far as I'm concerned Steve Clarke has credit in the back. He's got us to two tournaments. Yes, we've only taken two points but at least we are qualifying. 

Clarke's contract is up after the World Cup. I said yesterday that I'd offer him a new contract, and I still would. 

We could be in a worse position than being knocked out of a European Championships.

Onwards and upwards.

Coming from the guy that EXPECTED us to win the Euros and by having 5 at the back is the only way we will win matches, fucking laughable. 

Qualyfing record isn't bad but pretty much every big game - Ukraine play off, Euro 2020 matches and now Eu2024 we have been dreadful.  And we almost threw it away in the play off with Serbia too.

Seems like Clarke is not going to take us forward from here, League of Nations looks daunting and there is little prospect of us qualifying for the next World Cup.

Honestly we need a new approach at international level, especially since we are approaching a period where most of our top players have peaked and are in that 28-32 bracket.