Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

I fall on the side of 'he's taken us as far as he can' I think.

I also have my doubts around the SFA making the correct appointment if he goes.

This goes deeper than Dour Steve IMO. The players absolutely shat the bed against Germany. Someone do the maths on the number of caps for that team but they were not inexperienced.  Something has gone wrong with preparing this team for the big stage.  They just passed muster against the Swiss but last night, not a fucking clue and they looked nervous again in a high pressure game. 

Nervous Normans, if you will.

Dont know what the sports psychology set up is for the national squad (if any) but it needs looked at. 

Steve Clarke will always be remembered for what he achieved, taking us to back-to-back tournaments and particularly the qualifying campaign for this tournament which was excellent.

But last night was his 4-6-0. No-one will forget how badly we played for 90 minutes, then his ludicrous substitutes made injury time utter madness. Should we have had a penalty? Aye. Should we have had more than one shot on goal before the 90th minute in a must-win game? Yes, and that's on you Steve. Goodbye.

It's not so much about whether we get rid of Clarke, but what comes next.  I'll preface by saying I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but the clamour for Moyes just looks like the same old approach we have when things start going badly.  This manager's shite, get him out, the next one will be better.  Then the SFA get their shortlist out, filter out anyone who isn't Scottish, and then pick the best option that fancies it.  A couple of years later we return to the point where the manager's shite, get him out...etc etc.  Moyes has spent pretty much his entire career in the most moneyed league in the world, safe in the knowledge that if things go wrong he can drop huge amounts of money on players to shore it up.  He gets all the time possible to sit with his squad and work out his style of play, and if one game goes badly, there'll be another along in a few days.  None of that screams out to me that he's going to be an obvious success at international level.  He very well could be, but what if - for the nth manager running - he isn't?

If we do want to punt Clarke - and I don't believe the SFA will - then we need to prioritise any manager that has proven international success.  I don't care who they are, whether they speak English very well, or whatever.  They just need to have proved that they can take a team for only a handful of weeks a year and set them up to win games.  

10 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Every single one of these guys would laugh in our faces if we approached them.

I think the first three of those would be out of our league financially, but I'm not sure the other two would. A decentish financial package, and a project that could conceivably see the manager's stock rise if he improves the team isn't too fanciful, surely?

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

I do.  He would do a job for Birmingham.  Not near international class or the EPL level of Adams. 

Adams did a job for Birmingham, and Southampton in the last year. In the second tier. He's been linked with a move to Wolves, which has yet to happen and probably won't now. A Portuguese winger with chocolate knees will score more than him.

There also need to be questions about why we can't produce a natural goalscorer at international level. Ever. Dalglish had over a hundred caps, was pretty much the best player in the world for a few seasons, and scored what, 29 goals?

I think he should go. It's right that he has gotten us to the Euros twice, but on both occasions the sum of achievements is that we managed a draw with a side better than us. Bottom of the group with a single point on both occasions. Since it was expanded, getting to the Euros is no longer the achievement that it once was, so I don't think this is a case for keeping him in the job. 

Looking back on the tournament there was one decent performance (Switzerland), one diabolical performance (Germany) and one poor and bewildering performance (Hungary). We went for it too late in the match and were essentially chucking the sink at it in the end because we were running out of time. Predictably, we then conceded on the counter from leaving ourselves too open. For all that Hungary was a bad draw for Pot 4, they were there to be beaten last night. We weren't dominated by them and, if we're honest, they just sat back in the first half and let us have the ball. To not muster a shot on target in that time is dreadful. 

Taking McGinn off was a baffling call as well. He was shite in the first two matches, but he was much better last night and was also our biggest goal threat. Why was he subbed in a match that we had to win? 

The comments about last night's referee and his nationality are an embarrassment as well. Not quite Gordon Strachan and genetics, but a telling sign of a man that knows he's fucked up and can't admit it. 

Edited by Michael W

Tell you something though - *if* the SFA are planning on giving him the bullet, they need to do it now. We need to accept that this Nations League campaign is pretty much a write-off and use those games for whoever our new manager is to find his system.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Since it was expanded, getting to the Euros is no longer the achievement that it once was

I'm in two minds over this.

Yes there are more teams qualifying for the Euros these days, but there are significantly more countries, none of which are pushovers.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

As well as he has? He was sacked by West Brom and Reading? He did a good job at Kilmarnock, but that’s not the top level. He has had no success managing at the top level. 

Piehutt was referring to Moyes

8 hours ago, Moonboot said:

The result tonight will have me down over the next week or so but the lack of ambition for our country portrayed  by some folk in this thread makes me want to weep.

What is wrong with Scottish people that they find it acceptable to be pretty shit and not expect to ever be better?

I generally like to keep politics away from football discussion but on this occasion I can't - we're not a real country, we're a colony, so can't be expected to act like one. Sadly.

I dont expect scotland to play free flowing attacking football but i do expect us to have more shots and work defences more, in a must win game, i'd rather see us try and start fast rather than wait 70-75 mins

4 minutes ago, well again said:

It turns out that the man who was referring to people as negative Norman's is actually negative norman.

Or perhaps a Send Em Back, Nigel. 

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's been touched on, but isn't being mentioned near enough, that post-match interview was genuinely disgraceful and embarrassing. Having a go at the ref for being Argentinian and us not having a European referee and the insinuation that there was no point speaking to him because of that and inferring he couldn't speak English. 

Horrific behaviour from the man that went with the most cowardly tactics I have ever seen.

Often we've been poor and ripped a part, but that's honestly the most cowardly I've watched a Scotland team play.

Get him out.

Always seemed a bit Brexity IMO.

If Hungary could start Styles, whose greatest achievement has been 12 games for Sunderland, then we could have given Ryan Gauld a chance or Danny Armstrong or both. Players who could have created something. But he picked James Forrest and Lewis Morgan. He's been great for us but it's time for a change.