Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

The SFA could appoint Guardiola or Klopp and we'd not see an improvement.

Don't recall SAF winning more than a point at the 86 world cup.

If and when Steve Clarke goes, and after the inevitable 18 years of failure to qualify for a tournament, I hope the people who are in the "Steve Clarke camp" look back on this period of back to back Euro qualification and wished that they appreciated it a wee bit more.

Sorry to tell people but it's not going to get better than this.

Scottish football is filled with selfish, self serving clubs who cling to survival rather than wanting to thrive.

Clubs so bad that they annually get beat by Estonian, Icelandic, etc, teams as they hysterically attempt to qualify for European club competitions.

Two clubs who rule the roost and don't care a jot about Scotland. 10 other top tier clubs who view playing the aforementioned two clubs four times a season more important than growth and progression.

Time to accept reality. It ain't gonna got better than this unless Scottish football undergoes a major overhaul.

Our performance at Euro 2024 could quite clearly have been better. A major overhaul of Scottish football was not required in order for that group of players to produce a meaningful shot on target. 

Just back last night, fantastic 10 days with the obvious exception of the embarrassment that was game v Hungary.  Clarke's tactics and substitutions managed to almost  silence a support that was desperate to cheer given the slightest encouragement,  for that alone he should consider his position. Once again an awesome rendition of the anthem, then atmosphere killed stone dead with bawbag shuffle the ball about approach.  It sucked in every way possible and played right into their hands.

We always go to games more in hope than expectation and to witness such a spineless,  pathetic attempt at trying to get over the line in a very winnable game was soul destroying. 

I actually don't care if he stays or goes, or who might replace him. I won't be renewing my membership or going to any more games , I am done being let down.

After game spoke to Hungary supporter who said " You know I really don't think that team deserves you supporters " Sad but so true. We give everything, expect so little in return, not even getting that.

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

The SFA could appoint Guardiola or Klopp and we'd not see an improvement.

Don't recall SAF winning more than a point at the 86 world cup.

If and when Steve Clarke goes, and after the inevitable 18 years of failure to qualify for a tournament, I hope the people who are in the "Steve Clarke camp" look back on this period of back to back Euro qualification and wished that they appreciated it a wee bit more.

Sorry to tell people but it's not going to get better than this.

Scottish football is filled with selfish, self serving clubs who cling to survival rather than wanting to thrive.

Clubs so bad that they annually get beat by Estonian, Icelandic, etc, teams as they hysterically attempt to qualify for European club competitions.

Two clubs who rule the roost and don't care a jot about Scotland. 10 other top tier clubs who view playing the aforementioned two clubs four times a season more important than growth and progression.

Time to accept reality. It ain't gonna got better than this unless Scottish football undergoes a major overhaul.

Part of your post is true and I think our record of developing youth is pathetic, but if the manager didn’t make a difference then you wouldn’t see lesser countries ever qualifying out of the groups.

The right tactics can overcome lack of quality (to an extent) and it doesn’t have to be complete defensive goofball to do that either.

2 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Ok but that's 2 euros with probably the easiest chance we've every had of getting thru. With the best team we've had in years. 

We were promised improvement and we got decline. And you want to just go for it again? We will be here again discussing the same things, there's no shortage of good experienced managers out there. Why stick with the guy who shits the bed at the euros.

Yeah that’s fair. Time will tell if it’s rightly or wrongly, but I still have faith in him to turn things around, and would like him to stay, but also understand why people want him gone. If we bomb the Nations League then I’ll be jumping to the other side of the fence. Game of opinions etc etc. 

Edited by PSJ.84

He was hamstrung by an unfortunate injury list and having to play some brutal options in defence and right back, which made Robertson's side all the more easy for teams to nullify. I don't think Clarke is as negative a manager as made out - we've had some complete clowns in the job and he isnt one of them - but regardless of the issues in the squad our performances were made to look by far and away the most gutless in the tournament and that's on him.

My issue with him carrying on is that he has appeared more and more snippy as our form has worsened, culminating in the fallout with MacPhee (probable fraud tbf) and that unacceptable rant about the referee's nationality. It doesn't look like a happy camp anymore and I think it would take more than the return of Hickey, Ferguson, Doak or whoever to change that.

54 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Yeah that’s fair. Time will tell if it’s rightly or wrongly, but I still have faith in him to turn things around, and would like him to stay, but also understand why people want him gone. If we bomb the Nations League then I’ll be jumping to the other side of the fence. Game of opinions etc etc. 

Yeah of course man were all on the same side at the end of the day 🤷‍♂️

Looking at the way our nations league opponents played in the tournament tho I think they will be licking their lips at the thought of playing us.

17 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah of course man were all on the same side at the end of the day 🤷‍♂️

Looking at the way our nations league opponents played in the tournament tho I think they will be licking their lips at the thought of playing us.

I think Croatia and Poland will be more focused on their own winless group stage exits, than us, at the moment, to be fair 

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

I think Croatia and Poland will be more focused on their own winless group stage exits, than us, at the moment, to be fair 

Well that's what I meant, what better way to turn it around than playing the bend over and take it team.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

11 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Why have Austria miraculously improved under Rangnick?

I'm glad someone brought up Rangnick.

When he was at Manchester United one of his jobs was to diagnose what was wrong at Old Trafford.

He famously said that Manchester United need "Open heart surgery", this lead to condemnation from fans and players alike.

He was roundly ridiculed by the fans, players and the media. Eventually leading him to being chased out of Manchester United with his reputation in tatters.

Much like how my previous post about Scottish football needing an overhaul gained a mix of reviews.

People don't like to hear the truth. It's much quicker and easier and more convenient to pick a scapegoat and pile on.

Is Ralf Rangnick a better coach than Steve Clarke? Yes. Could Ralf Rangnick get more of a tune out of Scotland than Clarke? No.

Some people cite Guardiola as the best managers of all time. Yeah. Well. He's currently sitting on the throne of a team who have cheated 115 times.

Once he can do what SAF did by taking an unfancied team and win two European trophies by beating the likes of Bayern Munich and Real Madrid on the way, then and only then can he throw his hat in that particular ring.

Austria have better players than we do. It's not a miracle or some sorcery.

Against Netherlands they had nine players playing in top leagues. We had four against Hungary.

Austria XI vs Netherlands:

Serie A: Two

German Bundesliga: Seven

Denmark: One

Austria Bundesliga: One

Scotland XI vs Hungary:

SPL: Two

EPL: Four

English Championship: Four

Danish: One.

People can debate which players we should be picking, what managers we should have, which systems and formations we should use, etc.

The simple fact is we don't have a collection of players good enough to compete at the very top level.

Edited by Chripper

3 hours ago, ekok said:

Just back last night, fantastic 10 days with the obvious exception of the embarrassment that was game v Hungary.  Clarke's tactics and substitutions managed to almost  silence a support that was desperate to cheer given the slightest encouragement,  for that alone he should consider his position. Once again an awesome rendition of the anthem, then atmosphere killed stone dead with bawbag shuffle the ball about approach.  It sucked in every way possible and played right into their hands.

We always go to games more in hope than expectation and to witness such a spineless,  pathetic attempt at trying to get over the line in a very winnable game was soul destroying. 

I actually don't care if he stays or goes, or who might replace him. I won't be renewing my membership or going to any more games , I am done being let down.

After game spoke to Hungary supporter who said " You know I really don't think that team deserves you supporters " Sad but so true. We give everything, expect so little in return, not even getting that.

So you had a “fantastic 10 days” but are now throwing the towel in and won’t be renewing or going to “any more games”. Sounds like you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face there chief! I’m pretty sure you’ll calm down and reflect on that stance 😂

27 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'm glad someone brought up Rangnick.

When he was at Manchester United one of his jobs was to diagnose what was wrong at Old Trafford.

He famously said that Manchester United need "Open heart surgery", this lead to condemnation from fans and players alike.

Much like how my previous post about Scottish football needing an overhaul gained a mix of reviews.

People don't like to hear the truth. It's much quicker and easier and more convenient to pick a scapegoat and pile on.

Is Ralf Rangnick a better coach than Steve Clarke? Yes. Could Ralf Rangnick get more of a tune out of Scotland than Clarke? No.

Austria have better players than we do. It's not a miracle or some sorcery.

Against Netherlands they had nine players playing in top leagues. We had four against Hungary.

Austria XI vs Netherlands:

Serie A: Two

German Bundesliga: Seven

Denmark: One

Austria Bundesliga: One

Scotland XI vs Hungary:

SPL: Two

EPL: Four

English Championship: Three

Unattached: Two

One problem is you don't speak the truth, you offer crazy viewpoints that make little sense.

So Rangnick wouldn't get a tune out of this squad even though you agree he is a better coach than Clarke, just like Klopp and Pep? Give me strength.

Austria's team isn't all that great, no real stars in it and very much a better version of Scotland who are working under a great coach. The Bundesliga likes to go for Austrains as they speak German and it's a cheap market for them to buy from. A bit like English championship buying up Scottish players. Not saying they aren't decent players but I wouldn't look too much into it. 

Also, have you already forgotten about when you said several times you EXPECTED Scotland to win the euros but now all of a sudden, we are not as good as a team like Austria?

Edited by Butters Scotch

17 hours ago, ogoftheskye said:

Russia is not happy about western influence, and is leaning on the Georgian government to tell Georgians to behave themselves. Protests ensue. Easy enough to look up the details.

yep - I work in the region, thanks. There are ongoing tensions between Georgia and Russia and there is a "potential fight for existence". I think most will agree that is quite the leap. 

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

This seems quite contradictory. You honestly think that Clarke has this team playing to the best of their abilities? 

6 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

He's a good coach despite what the english media would have you believe. He had Schalke in a Champions league semi final. Did wonders with Leipzig and the Austrian team are all based in Bundesliga with a scattering of Serie A, Austrian League.

His comments on players and behind scenes at Man utd have been proven right.

Well exactly.  Austria are a bunch of jobbers. If Clarke managed them they'd be schnitzelling it back home now

Man for man Austria are about the same level as us. We took 4 points off them a couple of years ago and finished comfortably ahead of them in the group, then just a few months later we would have beaten them convincingly in Austria but we went to sleep 10 mins before the end like the Finland game this year.

The reason they’re doing so well is that they have a manager who can get the best out of a no frills squad. Exactly what we need. 

The choice of manager having literally no impact on the teams performance is by some distance the shittest take I've seen on here in a while. If that's the case, give me the job. I'll do it for a quarter of Stevie's salary.

6 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The choice of manager having literally no impact on the teams performance is by some distance the shittest take I've seen on here in a while. If that's the case, give me the job. I'll do it for a quarter of Stevie's salary.

Just get Chat GPT to pick the team IMO. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

This seems quite contradictory. You honestly think that Clarke has this team playing to the best of their abilities? 

6 of our 11 players against Hungary play in the English Championship/SPL.

Yes.

46 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Well exactly.  Austria are a bunch of jobbers. If Clarke managed them they'd be schnitzelling it back home now

7 of these "jobbers" play in the German Bundesliga and 2 play in Serie A.

Edited by Chripper

32 minutes ago, Chripper said:

6 of our 11 players against Hungary play in the English Championship/SPL.

Yes.

7 of these "jobbers" play in the German Bundesliga and 2 play in Serie A.

None of our players play in the SPL.

3 hours ago, Hendricks said:

So you had a “fantastic 10 days” but are now throwing the towel in and won’t be renewing or going to “any more games”. Sounds like you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face there chief! I’m pretty sure you’ll calm down and reflect on that stance 😂

Hi I really don't think I will change my mind. Still support the team and in absolute awe of our supporters,  wish every success going forward.  Been in this movie for about 60 years,  just can't climb that hill again. Not so much throwing in the towel as can't cope with the disappointment any  more.

Of course only had the trip because we played so well to qualify,  so that was a huge positive. The gut wrenching,  soul destroying,  pitiful manner in which we played on Sunday broke my resolve and my heart .