Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

5 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

The Gauld talk is splitting hairs. He hasn't had a look-in because a player playing at his level wasn't required. If we'd shat it in qualification whilst he's on form in the MLS then he's worthy of a shout. Can't help feeling though there's a lot of delusion surrounding the MLS, owing to a lot of money swilling around in it and the fact it's where a lot of fading stars go to earn a final big paycheck before they retire. Have a gander at a few games; the standard isn't great. Gauld never realised his full potential, that's why he plays there. That doesn't preclude him from getting a shout for Scotland (beggars can't be choosers), but I don't see how he improves us. If we follow the Gauld logic then Lewis Morgan should've been a shoo-in months ago (and flip knows we need a form striker more than another midfielder), yet curiously we never heard the same demand for his inclusion.

Couple of paragraphs would have helped this mate.

It's absolutely splitting hairs, but the question was asked who was missing and that's the best answer I had.

Personally I think we should have given him a chance a while ago. Does him being included win us that game? No probably not. 

But that's wasn't the question.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's the same crap after a defeat. Fans are absolutely terrible for it.

God I know, it's relentless. I'm now remembering the demands for Zak Rudden to be included a couple of years back. Ridiculous.

Honestly if you want caps to be handed out like sweets to your club flavour of the moment then you're as well asking if Bertie Vogts fancies another go.

15 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

God I know, it's relentless. I'm now remembering the demands for Zak Rudden to be included a couple of years back. Ridiculous.

Honestly if you want caps to be handed out like sweets to your club flavour of the moment then you're as well asking if Bertie Vogts fancies another go.

Who the f**k wanted Zac Rudden? Nae c**t that's who.

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Who the f**k wanted Zac Rudden? Nae c**t that's who.

Ach it's easy to forget these things, and it's better that we do. I'm old enough to remember Simon Donnelly being touted as the new Dalglish. Would be happy to have that erased from my neural pathways.

2 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

That gap between the 2 lines is fucking criminal. Allowing guys like Wirtz and Musiala time to turn and face our mincemeat back 3 with our glorious midfield about 20 yards higher up the pitch.

Plenty other problems but this one is objectively on Clarke and it wasn’t the only one.

After watching a bit of Switzerland Clarke is going to have his work cut out again. Their movement and press puts about 4 of them on top of defences as well. They are open to the counter attack though, which is why I'd advocate Conway being used.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Max Johnston has started 2 games for them, he was subbed on 18 times which makes it appear he has been regular because it just gets listed as '20'. 

And as postex previously, johnston has played 200mins more football last season than ralston

17 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

And as postex previously, johnston has played 200mins more football last season than ralston

I mean that's no true either though.  

In all of Johnson's 29 appearances in 23/24 he amassed 761 minutes - he was mostly playing 5/10 minutes here and there.  Ralston in all of his 18 for Celtic amassed 1,183 minutes.  Ralston played over 400 minutes of first team football more.  

That also doesn't include any minutes for Scotland or the fact he is often a part of the squad so there for training.  

Johnson is hopefully going to be good but he just isn't getting the playing time of Ralston.  

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I mean that's no true either though.  

In all of Johnson's 29 appearances in 23/24 he amassed 761 minutes - he was mostly playing 5/10 minutes here and there.  Ralston in all of his 18 for Celtic amassed 1,183 minutes.  Ralston played over 400 minutes of first team football more.  

That also doesn't include any minutes for Scotland or the fact he is often a part of the squad so there for training.  

Johnson is hopefully going to be good but he just isn't getting the playing time of Ralston.  

Nor according to this he didn't 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/max-johnston/leistungsdaten/spieler/652632/saison/2023#gesamt

1 hour ago, ogoftheskye said:

Was in 2019 when Clarke called up 4 Kilmarnock players to the Scotland squad?

5 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Was in 2019 when Clarke called up 4 Kilmarnock players to the Scotland squad?

His first game in charge with Brophy up top? Hideous, but it's not like he persisted with it.

I'd actually say the Brophy call up was to Clarke's credit. 

To me it meant he was willing to try new things/players but also willing to say when it wasn't working and not persist.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd actually say the Brophy call up was to Clarke's credit. 

To me it meant he was willing to try new things/players but also willing to say when it wasn't working and not persist.

Also for as average as the striker pool is now it was even worse back then. Dykes and Adams weren’t declared for us back then, McBurnie was pish, Griffiths was the preferred candidate but regularly injured. 

2 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Also for as average as the striker pool is now it was even worse back then. Dykes and Adams weren’t declared for us back then, McBurnie was pish, Griffiths was the preferred candidate but regularly injured. 

Aye good point. Forgot about that! 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

After watching a bit of Switzerland Clarke is going to have his work cut out again. Their movement and press puts about 4 of them on top of defences as well. They are open to the counter attack though, which is why I'd advocate Conway being used.

Gilmour to play then !?

in addition to Conway

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

46 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Back then we weren't worried about the front line, because we had a superstar in Oliver Burke in the making;

33 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Gilmour to play then !?

in addition to Conway

As I mentioned in another thread I'd go 442 with two recognised strikers and the two I think that would compliment each other are Conway and Shankland. The midfield should all be midfielders as well, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and McTominay. Only player I'd play out of position is Tierney on the right but that's just because I think he's better than the actual right backs.

The Swiss sometimes leave just two defenders back so they can press high up, four midfielders and two strikers should limit that, if they all work hard, if they don't we're fucked.

Gauld and Morgan should have absolutely positively certainly for fcuking real have been called up at some point over the last couple of years for one of the few meaningless friendly matches, just so Clarke could see them in person.

If they weren't good enough, no harm, no foul.

Instead, Clarke left it till he had nobody else available and called Morgan up for a tourney with days to go, probably never having seen him play in person in years.

ps - Gauld scored a couple minutes ago.