Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Why does Clarke have McTominey taking corners ??? He's one of the best we have at winning headers in the oppositions box , one of our tallest players and strongest just baffling 

There will be a reason, probably a decent one. I don't know what that is and would just be speculating. The set plays are left to Austin MacPhee. I don't think Steve Clarke has loads to with them other than overseeing them. 

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

I dont think clarke was really chasing a goal, the guys on the pitch maybe but given swiss could have won it themselves i think Clarke was happy with the point knowing its a straight shot against Hungary.

A few folk have made similar points, but I was asking why, in general, managers make that kind of substitution with minutes to go when they aren't trying to timewaste. The player they're bringing on won't have time to affect the game, and the one going out is unlikely to be so fagged out that they wouldn't get through another three or four minutes.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A few folk have made similar points, but I was asking why, in general, managers make that kind of substitution with minutes to go when they aren't trying to timewaste. The player they're bringing on won't have time to affect the game, and the one going out is unlikely to be so fagged out that they wouldn't get through another three or four minutes.

Bit homophonic mate 😬

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Bit homophonic mate 😬

I can't think of any homophones of "fagged".

Maybe being too full after excessive consumption of Fage greek yoghurt?

Just now, BFTD said:

I can't think of any homophones of "fagged".

Maybe being too full after excessive consumption of Fage greek yoghurt?

I was joking, obviously I assumed you had meant flagged 🤣

If being fagged out is tired it's a new one to me.

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

There will be a reason, probably a decent one. I don't know what that is and would just be speculating. The set plays are left to Austin MacPhee. I don't think Steve Clarke has loads to with them other than overseeing them. 

Yeh, I thought McGinn took corners on the left in Christie's absence Robertson takes from right, I think (?). 

Just now, Bing.McCrosby said:

I was joking, obviously I assumed you had meant flagged 🤣

If being fagged out is tired it's a new one to me.

I think it's more of an old one!  :lol:

46 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Why does Clarke have McTominey taking corners ??? He's one of the best we have at winning headers in the oppositions box , one of our tallest players and strongest just baffling 

Aye was wondering this myself to be honest, he's probably the best striker or the ball we have but we have a few players who can hit the ball sweetly on the left and right 

26 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Aye I know McPhee is set play coach neeb but surely Clarke should be saying Naw Austin that's no happenin git him in the box 😂😂

48 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

I think McTominay took in-swinging corners in Austin MacPhee's first game which seemed bizarre at the time and was very quickly dropped, however it's started to happen again within the past year or so (can't remember when) and resulted in a goal v Norway. 

He's a clean striker of the ball and can deliver a flat, pacey delivery unlike any of our other right-footers with the possible exception of Armstrong. Gilmour's most likely to get the ball into a good area and Robertson or McGinn can deliver out-swingers, but MacPhee probably thinks that the quality of McTominay's in-swinging delivery is more important than having an extra target in the box. 

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Its breaks up the play, slows it down, allows your team to catch a breath and your defence to regain their shape and composure, notice when its done its always players that play right up the park that are brought on, thats cause all they are asked to do is to chase and stop the defenders coming up the park with the ball

Defenders are always left because they have usually spent the game working together, talking to each other through the game (who steps up, who covers etc)

That minute or two for the double subs might be the difference between a swiss player making an important pass cause his mind is fully on the game, to him slightly over or under hitting it because they two minutes he stopped for the sub brought on a bit of mental fatigue

12 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Fair point. It's played out okay for us up to this point. We have our destiny in our own hands and don't need a 3-nil win to secure qualification. 

We don't have our destiny in our own hands though. We might win v Hungary and still go out on 4 points. 

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

It's even more baffling when you think how good he is in the air (he was immense in our own box) but also how good he is when the ball is pinging about in the box - his volley that was blocked after a bit of a stramash was the kind of shot that I can't really see any other Scotland player attempting.

14 hours ago, gastropod said:

We got the point that i thought we would before kick off , but jeezo , we were crying out for fresh legs around 75mins .. We might have got all 3pts if Clarke had replaced struggling players earlier ..what  a waste of Shankland .. and even any other attacking players with energy at that stage of the game .. Forrest , Conway .. Still think we will beat a Hungary team who will be on holiday , mentally , but f**k me , we need to a lot more positive with selections /subs than we were tonight ..

Aye totally.He subbed off Gilmour rather than McGinn,Adams or Macgregor.Should have freshened things up with 15 to go.We have a few good attacking options now.No idea why he didnt use them to try and secure the victory.The Swiss used their subs in the way Clarke should have.

agree about the corners. Can't believe they couldn't have got Gilmour or McGregor to put in a decent delivery from that side and have the big man in the middle. 

Probably worried about getting caught on the counter and having those 2 holding midfielders closer to the fire. 

11 minutes ago, Piehutt said:

agree about the corners. Can't believe they couldn't have got Gilmour or McGregor to put in a decent delivery from that side and have the big man in the middle. 

Probably worried about getting caught on the counter and having those 2 holding midfielders closer to the fire. 

Counter attacks are a big worry especially from corners. Our goal came from that. There will be a lot of thought gone into the Set plays even if it isn't obvious to us. Same with McGinn standing next to goalkeeper when we have an attacking free kick. Just have to trust the people who are responsible.

15 hours ago, gastropod said:

We got the point that i thought we would before kick off , but jeezo , we were crying out for fresh legs around 75mins .. We might have got all 3pts if Clarke had replaced struggling players earlier ..what  a waste of Shankland .. and even any other attacking players with energy at that stage of the game .. Forrest , Conway .. Still think we will beat a Hungary team who will be on holiday , mentally , but f**k me , we need to a lot more positive with selections /subs than we were tonight ..

Aye totally.He subbed off Gilmour rather than McGinn,Adams or Macgregor.Should have freshened things up with 15 to go.We have a few good attacking options now.No idea why he didnt use them to try and secure the victory.The Swiss used their subs in the way Clarke should have.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Looks like Morgan and Conway are very much only here to make up the numbers.

Edit: had Dykes been fit, do we think we'd still have been putting all our eggs into an Adams-shaped basket?

I do not see why they are here if they are not going to get any time

SSC should have brought BDD if he could have been ready for the Hungary match !

2 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Just backup in case of injury I guess, much like Kelly. Bit of a shame for anyone hoping one or both might play and get off to a flyer, but he obviously considers them a step below the regulars, and he's all about sticking with players who know each other.

Got a horrible feeling they'll get chucked on in the last ten minutes against Hungary out of desperation if we're losing  :(

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

The Germany game was a damage limitation exrcise before H/T. If we had been chasing the Swiss game you'd have more chance of seeing them. Same against Hungary: how a game is going has a massive impact on Clarke's subs.

This is why Clarke said he was considering 4 goalies and prefers a 23-man squad. He'll not use the full squad unless he has to through injury.

A few are saying that the players have been run into the ground and I agree to an extent because of the pressure and occasion, but the game schedule is not more hectic than at their clubs.

Edited by 2426255