Hibernian European Tour 2023/24

Lyle Lanley

At least Johnson's trainers remained ice white throughout.

What does David Marshall actually do. 

Even in second gear that's the best team I've seen play at Easter road so didn't really expect anything else. Incredibly naive though, should have put 4 centre halves between the 18 yard lines, Boyle and Obita essentially as full backs, Jeggo Newall and Doyle-Hayes or Campbell sat on top of the defenders and ALF up front as he's the best at winning free kicks. Complete cattenacio and wind them up and hope to get a 0-0

Just now, GHF-23 said:

At least Johnson's trainers remained ice white throughout.

What does David Marshall actually do. 

Even in second gear that's the best team I've seen play at Easter road so didn't really expect anything else. Incredibly naive though, should have put 4 centre halves between the 18 yard lines, Boyle and Obita essentially as full backs, Jeggo Newall and Doyle-Hayes or Campbell sat on top of the defenders and ALF up front as he's the best at winning free kicks. Complete cattenacio and wind them up and hope to get a 0-0

It took about 3 humpings from the OF before Lee Johnson caught on that we were completely outclassed in a straight-up game of football and had to be a bit more cagey and defensive against them. I suspect that he'll catch on by about the third time that he's leading Hibs against Aston Villa...

Ok Villa were going to beat any Scottish team including OF.The issue is how and why . First of all you try to make them earn it, not " having a go " .  Not pretty,  but 5-4 -1 would have been a start.  Yes sometimes you have to park the bus to keep you in the game/ tie .Naive in extreme. 

Bigger picture is total lack of investment in Grassroots game. Instead of well meaning but   very limited volunteers., need PAID coaches right accross kids game , like almost every successful country. 

Club Academy Scotland ( with all it's limitations) needs a more professional,  broader base to work with. Kids are left to hit and miss coaching instead of being given a proper grounding.  

Any successful sporting pathway is as good/ poor as the base from which it builds.  Given our obsession with football we continue to fail miserably to deliver. 

15 minutes ago, ekok said:

Ok Villa were going to beat any Scottish team including OF.The issue is how and why . First of all you try to make them earn it, not " having a go " .  Not pretty,  but 5-4 -1 would have been a start.  Yes sometimes you have to park the bus to keep you in the game/ tie .Naive in extreme. 

Bigger picture is total lack of investment in Grassroots game. Instead of well meaning but   very limited volunteers., need PAID coaches right accross kids game , like almost every successful country. 

Club Academy Scotland ( with all it's limitations) needs a more professional,  broader base to work with. Kids are left to hit and miss coaching instead of being given a proper grounding.  

Any successful sporting pathway is as good/ poor as the base from which it builds.  Given our obsession with football we continue to fail miserably to deliver. 

The £5 billion difference between our TV deals is the reason for the difference in everything between Scottish and English football.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This match should be a watch-through-your-fingers cringe fest for anyone involved in Scottish football.

Aston Villa can choose what the full time score is without getting out first gear.

You can say 'ha ha Hibs' if you like but that's the standard of the Scottish Premiership being completely dismantled by a team in training session mode.

I don't disagree that Villa have much more money and have better players, they are one of the favourites for the cup after all.

But Hibs were absolutely shite tonight.

Hibs are also absolutely shite in the league, sitting pointless, 2nd bottom on goal difference.

If Hibs had played like that against Albion Rovers rather than Aston Villa, my money would have been on the wee Rovers. 

They are not indicative of the standard of the Scottish Premiership. They are a misfiring Hibs side who had an absolute nightmare.

The game had quite big 'behind closed doors training ground friendly' energy about it. 

'Aston Villa beat Hibernian 5-0 in a behind closed doors friendly in Marbella this afternoon. Ollie Watkins (x3), Leon Bailey and Douglas Luiz (pen) the goalscorers.' 

28 minutes ago, ekok said:

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with tonight’s game tbh. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

You don’t normally take down the club flag you brought and draped over the exit when you’re just going for a pish.

Maybe he was going for a shite...

37 minutes ago, StringVesto Slipher said:

I don't disagree that Villa have much more money and have better players, they are one of the favourites for the cup after all.

But Hibs were absolutely shite tonight.

Hibs are also absolutely shite in the league, sitting pointless, 2nd bottom on goal difference.

If Hibs had played like that against Albion Rovers rather than Aston Villa, my money would have been on the wee Rovers. 

They are not indicative of the standard of the Scottish Premiership. They are a misfiring Hibs side who had an absolute nightmare.

This will be confirmed , or rubbished , tomorrow night !

Guest DannyBlue

Just back from the game. I was sat near the byline where their 12 had so much space it was unreal. Happened twice, Miller notices as well but does nothing. I was feeling charitable and assumed perhaps this was part of the tactical plan and assumed the defence was instructed to stay narrow and to help out and cramp McGinn for space. I thought this because the defence seemed to notice the space that 12 and then ignore it. However, I could literally see Unai Emery telling Villa to exploit that very openly and Johnson did nothing to react, of course. Then the third time their 12, in loads of space, crosses in and it's 1-0. At that point Johnson starts going off on one at the defence about not closing him down but if he was supposed to be closing him down, why not do something the first time it happens, not wait until a goal! Anyway even with that sterling approach to man management, number 12 assists two more goals before halftime.

Absolutely rotten tactics and man-management in that opening sequence and it just set the tone for Villa's procession.

Edited by DannyBlue

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with tonight’s game tbh. 

Thanks you have just proved my point. Hibs are shite at European level, most Scottish Clubs are shite at that level ( OF only less so because of the £ they generate so they buy in slightly better) we do  not take the Grassroots game seriously,  that is the base of the  pyramid where the players start. Other countries realise this, even smaller than us,  they get that the younger kids are given proper coaching, the standard will improve. When the standard at the bottom improves, so it will work it's way up. 

That's why we see players from most other countries having better technical,  tactical and physical ability.  They literally get a head start and by the time playing at European level it is palpable. It is right there in front of us every single game a Scottish club plays in Europe. 

Until we understand this and start funding Grassroots coaching properly,  we will continue to under achieve.

National disgrace. 

2 minutes ago, ekok said:

Thanks you have just proved my point. Hibs are shite at European level, most Scottish Clubs are shite at that level ( OF only less so because of the £ they generate so they buy in slightly better) we do  not take the Grassroots game seriously,  that is the base of the  pyramid where the players start. Other countries realise this, even smaller than us,  they get that the younger kids are given proper coaching, the standard will improve. When the standard at the bottom improves, so it will work it's way up. 

That's why we see players from most other countries having better technical,  tactical and physical ability.  They literally get a head start and by the time playing at European level it is palpable. It is right there in front of us every single game a Scottish club plays in Europe. 

Until we understand this and start funding Grassroots coaching properly,  we will continue to under achieve.

National disgrace. 

This take has been regurgitated time and time and time again it’s so boring. Teams like Hibs don’t recruit locally. 3 out of the 4 Scottish players in that starting 11 have been playing football since the dinosaurs were going down Leith Walk.

What would building a few 4G pitches and paying folk to coach kids actually do to prevent Hibs being pumped by a club bankrolled by a large corporation? If the kids they coached turned out quite good they’d disappear down south anyway

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

Complete failure to build a squad tbh. See also Lewis Stevenson. We should have sourced long term replacements for both at least two years ago. Tbf, we did bring in Cabraja last year who was superb before his family problems ruined him. Still now we've got a guy who will definitely leave in the summer and may leave in January as our first choice RCB. Shouldn't have anyone on loan as a first choice player if you aren't confident he'll be your player at the end of it. 

Same with our midfield, we've got all the different types of third men for the midfield but Newall is the only good all round central midfielder we have. 

Hanlon and Stevenson are a damning indictment of Hibs transfer policy