Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

9 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Thistle play some great stuff.

They pay players way above their Division 2 level and hose everything in sight really. Sets them up nicely to pick off a few teams in cups as they will have plenty fresh squad when you are 3-0 up at half time. Easy to make subs and keep it fresh.

I reckon they are good enough to push to challenge this season again but will struggle when they hit the Premier and have to play at that level every week.

That said they can obviously afford Cunningham and Heaver who would be good players in the East Prem.

Cunningham is the perfect example, 3 goals all season at Linlithgow then about 30 goals in about 10 games for Athletic.

Don’t forget Cunningham dropped down two leagues to join Athletic. Totally different game to Lowland League

Sandy Cunningham and Sean Heaver - both ex binos. Great strike force 

There were a number of our fans who wanted to keep Heaver in League 2 last season so he has fallen way down the leagues now. 

100 odd fans for that level and for a brand new team is pretty decent I would say.

24 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Sandy Cunningham and Sean Heaver - both ex binos. Great strike force 

There were a number of our fans who wanted to keep Heaver in League 2 last season so he has fallen way down the leagues now. 

100 odd fans for that level and for a brand new team is pretty decent I would say.

I liked them both at the Rose too. For whatever season didn’t get going in the LL.

It’s a very hard league though with a lot of teams around the same level. Give it five years and anyone could go up or down imo.

31 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

Will any ground improvements be split 3 ways ?

All clubs using the facilities either for matches or training will no doubt be paying the going rate. BUCFC have a lot of age groups. United & Athletic have U/20’s. There might be other local teams as well that that use Newtown. How much to hire I don’t know but there are a lot of bodies contributing to the facilities..

21 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Are you sitting comfortably, good then I will begin,

Once upon a time there was a Junior team and their name was Bo'ness United.   They played at Newtown Park which is not owned by the club but run by the NPA (that's another long story).

Over the hill there was a village amateur team called Linlithgow Thistle.  

Some wealthy guys decided to pump some money into Linlithgow Thistle but where would they play.

Newtown Park was Thistles  preferred venue but using the "Bo'ness" ID was a concern for tge BU's so Thistle had a meeting with the BU's and there was agreement/understanding that Linlithgow Thistle would become a new team "Boness Athletic" and would operate lower down the leagues and be a feeder club for the BU's.

It soon became apparent that once "Athletic" had a foot in the door they had no interest in being a feeder club. Promises were broken and many of the BU committee HATE the Athletic committee.

There is no "history" between the 2 teams on the pitch.  

Bo'ness Athletic is a pop up plaything for a few minted chancers, no more, no less.  

Some call Athletic "parasites" but that's unfair......to parasites !!

Mon the BU's !!!

And Dave thought to himself "How can I liven up this quiet Sunday?"

20 hours ago, Sure & Stedfast said:

Then Bo’ness would have nothing to be proud of.

you can play it off as fishing but this is a really disgraceful comment that entirely reflects everything we know and see about your disgrace of a club

To draw a line under the athletic conversation. They’re a glorified amateur  team who play in a divisions well below United and the two should not even be discussed in the same breath. United are competing in the LL for a place in league two whilst athletic are playing teams that people have to Google. They’ve been found out when they’ve played teams such as newtongrange etc this season and this will be the case when they go up next season. They will never play at the same level as United and can only dream of winning the honours United have amassed over the years (these don’t include the Mickey Mouse cups athletic have won recently). It’s embarrassing that United are even associated with them as people sometimes mistake the two and think United are playing some of these ridiculous fixtures. Was commiserated the other day about our result against Thornton Hibs (apparently a real team and don’t know if they’re associated to the chocolate) and had to educate the individual that this was the amateur team from Boness. 

let’s leave this tribute act alone and focus on the team from Boness who are playing multiple divisions higher in the LL and who continue to proudly represent the people from the town. 

Our team
Which art eleven
Hallowed be thy game
Our match be won
Their score be none
On turf 
As we score at least seven
Give us today no card of red
And forgive us our lost passes
As we forgive those
Who lose passes against us
Lead us not into retaliation
And deliver us from penalties
For three is the kick off
The power and scorer
For ever and ever
Full time!

Cheerio Robert, thanks for everything you did, and especially for being a mate

18 hours ago, Arnie said:

Folk from Boness that watch them are embarrassing 

As much as I dislike the way Athletic have went about things i’d have disagree with this. There’s been plenty Bo’ness lads playing for them over the last few seasons so always going to get their mates going along to support them.

They do seem to be trying to build their fan base (think they even gave out free scarves to kids one game) in the town which is something i’d like to see us doing much more of.

Although the comment from the previous poster saying there’s nothing else in the town to be proud of is mind blowing if he is associated with BA.

On another note Zander Miller been announced for Camelon today. Great signing for that league if he’s half the player he was before the injury.

Hope he does well for them.

8 hours ago, NewtonBU said:

Thornton Hibs (apparently a real team and don’t know if they’re associated to the chocolate) and had to educate the individual

Indeed a real team based in Thornton in Fife, close by Glenrothes.

You need to put this into context, Athletic's budget blows every team out of the water in their current division and the division last year, huge money spent, they are not interested in development in any aspect, every team has a 20s apart from them, their 20s lasted 1 season,  absolutely shocking, they are not a club they are a team with no interest in anything else.

10 hours ago, Charlie4 said:

You need to put this into context, Athletic's budget blows every team out of the water in their current division and the division last year, huge money spent, they are not interested in development in any aspect, every team has a 20s apart from them, their 20s lasted 1 season,  absolutely shocking, they are not a club they are a team with no interest in anything else.

I don’t really want to keep talking about them but there’s not much else going on at the moment.

They do have an under 20s though don’t they? Pretty sure they have teamed up with Syngenta Juveniles as well after their senior team jumped ship to Camelon Juniors. 

2 hours ago, aidan-bufc said:

I don’t really want to keep talking about them but there’s not much else going on at the moment.

They do have an under 20s though don’t they? Pretty sure they have teamed up with Syngenta Juveniles as well after their senior team jumped ship to Camelon Juniors. 

They have scrapped them for next season

29 minutes ago, shush10 said:

Any truth in porteous to bonnyrigg ? local to the area and a step up of course ?

Ignoring the lame fishing attempt, any club would have to fork out at least 10k.