Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

Think it was at Crawfield , where houses were to to built also as part of deal , nothing happened .

Now the houses will be built with no football park .

People of Bo’ness lose out again .

Serious question. Will united ever get a bronze licence ?

On 09/05/2024 at 10:50, Jambo'ness said:

Why would we pay for suchlike when we pay a rent?  Any improvements we made would only benefit the parasites too.

Get your own ground then

On 08/05/2024 at 18:23, Costa Crookies said:

To be honest, I’m happy where we are. Don’t want to travel to the four corners of Scotland every second week. I appreciate the drive to improve, but don’t see a great difference in standard between League 2 and the Lowland league. I don’t think there is a justification in spending money on the ground that could be used to improve the team.

Improving the team increases the chances of challenging for the league. Players would certainly want to have a crack at the next league up, most supporters too. If the objective is only to remain in the LL then the club will struggle to attract the type of players that will improve the team and gradually go backwards or at best plod along with zero ambitions other than mid-bottom end mediocrity, effectively becoming a side playing glorified bounce games.

On 08/05/2024 at 18:59, Deanburn Dave said:

Finishing 3rd this season was superb.  It may turn out to be our peak in the Lowland League and we will finish mid table for the foreseeable future. Having said that should the BU's find themselves challenging for the playoffs I am sure the committee will endeavour to ensure that the criteria can be met.

p.s. I would be very happy to stay in the LL.  Great wee league.

It is a league that’s improving season upon season without a doubt, but for the club to survive there has to be a purpose. Mid table mediocrity has already been achieved by the previous regime and all that resulted in was numbers through the gates taking a hit. Fighting relegation will only see those numbers fall further which the club simply cannot afford. 

On 08/05/2024 at 21:02, Costa Crookies said:

I’ve been supporting Bo’ness for over 50 years, and some of my most enjoyable seasons have been during our time in the Super League. Enjoyment of the games paramount for me, not the league they’re played in. 

This is probably the case for a majority percentage of our support. However, in the Superleague we were in as high a league as we could be at the time; winning titles and challenging for them regularly. The object was always to finish as high as we possibly could and ideally challenge for the league title. This objective has not changed at all since joining the pyramid. Any deviation from this M.O is only going to have a negative impact on the club for the reasons outlined in my previous posts above.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Improving the team increases the chances of challenging for the league. Players would certainly want to have a crack at the next league up, most supporters too. If the objective is only to remain in the LL then the club will struggle to attract the type of players that will improve the team and gradually go backwards or at best plod along with zero ambitions other than mid-bottom end mediocrity, effectively becoming a side playing glorified bounce games.

It is a league that’s improving season upon season without a doubt, but for the club to survive there has to be a purpose. Mid table mediocrity has already been achieved by the previous regime and all that resulted in was numbers through the gates taking a hit. Fighting relegation will only see those numbers fall further which the club simply cannot afford. 

This is probably the case for a majority percentage of our support. However, in the Superleague we were in as high a league as we could be at the time; winning titles and challenging for them regularly. The object was always to finish as high as we possibly could and ideally challenge for the league title. This objective has not changed at all since joining the pyramid. Any deviation from this M.O is only going to have a negative impact on the club for the reasons outlined in my previous posts above.

Very valid point of view, and for the club probably the best way to look at it. A second place finish compared with last season was fantastic. Ambition to build on this is to be applauded. From a personal point of view I don’t want to spend at least 4 hours travelling to games. Moving up a league will require a huge increase in up front expenditure that cannot guarantee a return, and I don’t know where the money will come from. But what ever happens I’ll still be there. 

Edited by Costa Crookies

2 hours ago, Costa Crookies said:

Very valid point of view, and for the club probably the best way to look at it. A second place finish compared with last season was fantastic. Ambition to build on this is to be applauded. From a personal point of view I don’t want to spend at least 4 hours travelling to games. Moving up a league will require a huge increase in up front expenditure that cannot guarantee a return, and I don’t know where the money will come from. But what ever happens I’ll still be there. 

Bonnyrigg seem to have increased crowds in Divi 2 .

Average of 700 odd per home game at the second division rates will bring in a fair bit of cash , money we can only dream about .

So its a question of can we increase crowds to that level ?

Despite being at the bottom end of the table the Big Rose support is holding up well.     League 2 ticket price for the Big Rose is £14 I believe.

BU's great value at £8 .........although there was speculation towards the end of this season that the BU's were considering raising the ticket price to £10 next season.  

1 hour ago, seenitall said:

Average of 700 odd per home game at the second division rates will bring in a fair bit of cash , money we can only dream about .

So its a question of can we increase crowds to that level ?

The bigger question is. How will you get promotion without the bronze licence ? Think United and athletic will have to sit around the table, if they are looking to be promoted to spfl. No ?

1 hour ago, lithgierose said:

The bigger question is. How will you get promotion without the bronze licence ? Think United and athletic will have to sit around the table, if they are looking to be promoted to spfl. No ?

You seem a little obsessed with Bo’ness and bronze licences 🤣

3 hours ago, seenitall said:

So it’s a question of can we increase crowds to that level ?

Bonnyrigg benefit quite a bit from having Hearts/Hibs fans who live locally giving their support to Rose. I know a couple of guys that go and watch them sometimes who are Hibs supporters, that’s a good benefit for the club, though they clearly have a good core support of their own as well.

1 hour ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Despite being at the bottom end of the table the Big Rose support is holding up well.     League 2 ticket price for the Big Rose is £14 I believe.

BU's great value at £8 .........although there was speculation towards the end of this season that the BU's were considering raising the ticket price to £10 next season.  

I don’t think anyone could really complain about £10 for adults at LL level, I think that represents great value for money. 

21 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

If Cowden have a bronze anybody should get one.

Wasn’t the witty response I was expecting, oh well.

For what it’s worth, Cowdenbeath are not bronze, but believe it would be reasonably straightforward to achieve if need be.

Fin Malcolm signed up for another year. Slightly surprised but his second half of the season was an improvement and hopefully with Mitchell there won't be as much pressure on him to give us the goals.

2 hours ago, Nicholas Rage said:

Fin Malcolm signed up for another year. Slightly surprised but his second half of the season was an improvement and hopefully with Mitchell there won't be as much pressure on him to give us the goals.

I'll admit to being a critic of his but I think we forget he still qualifies for a game with our U-20's.

He did show promising signs towards the end of the season and hopefully will improve further.

On 12/05/2024 at 09:26, Costa Crookies said:

Me neither, and as such have missed a lot more away games in recent seasons. However, this is also partly down to there being little appeal in visiting certain grounds/teams. This may change should we ever make the step up from the LL. 

On 12/05/2024 at 15:25, Cowdenleith said:

You seem a little obsessed with Bo’ness and bronze licences 🤣

He makes a valid point to be fair.

On 12/05/2024 at 13:52, Deanburn Dave said:

£8 is outstanding for LL matches and should be congratulated👍. I assume most are £10? 

Majority of EoS Premier league matches are £8 (£4 or £5 for concessions). However, at Sauchie a couple of weeks ago it was £10 entry fee. I know it’s only £2 more, but not sure 25% hike is right for this league? In fairness, Jeanfield, Kinnoull + Luncarty charge £7.

Think a few 1st div teams also charge £8. Best value is Preston Ath who, this season, charge £7, but for £10 package, you also get a drink and pie included.