Bo'ness United 2023/24

Deanburn Dave

1 hour ago, aidan-bufc said:

The game was always controlled by Morton and they deserved to win. The result will always be tarnished by the red card though as Bo’ness had their chances either side of half time. All if buts and maybes

Disagree that we controlled the game at all until the red card and then the second goal. From our perspective, we should have been much more pro-active in just pushing forward 10 yards with each centre back at a time given there was no pressure on either two from kickoff. The rare occasion we actually did that caused the opening goal.

But so long as we bizarrely failed to exploit that and then the two key moments above happened, the tie was a live contest.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

There was no red card at all in today's game IMO. The scoreline was hugely flattering to us - you did pretty well and deserved at least a goal. Fortunately our goalkeeper had a very good game to deny you - yours looks ready to play at a higher level too. 

I was behind the goal for the red card incident and nobody was expecting anything more than a booking. If that didn't happen then it could have been a different result as we were not comfortable at 1-0 today. 

A full 90 between those teams with 11 on each side would have been a real good watch, not Mortons fault that Napier had to make himself the centre of attention again. Hopefully the last either of us see him this season

Throughout the game you could see the quality and physical difference between the part time and full time side and while Morton were on top, Bo'ness were causing issues and as long as it was 1-0 and 11 v 11 it was going to be entertaining and still a bit of hope. Unfortunately Napier ruined that with what looked like a dodgy red card.

Lots of credit to the team for continuing to battle through and to the management team for making attaching substitutions, it would have been easy at two down to shut up shop and call it a day but instead he flings on another striker - your going out, might as well go down fighting.

An enjoyable day out, just a shame we didn't get to see the tie played out as it should have.

On a negative note, while the young team were fantastic singing the whole game, a couple of songs slipped in there that have no place at football. Slag Napier all day for being a shit ref, but no need for the homophobic stuff.

On 19/11/2023 at 11:51, aidan-bufc said:

Don’t think it’s something we’ve been guilty off too much this season. Feel some of our best performances have been when the opposition are more  possession based (Darvel, Celtic B, EK spring to mind). It’s more when we are forced to create chances it seems we end up giving them away.

On the whole we seem comfortable when the opposition team have more of the ball which is going to be the case next weekend. 

2 hours ago, bigwullieac said:

A full 90 between those teams with 11 on each side would have been a real good watch, not Mortons fault that Napier had to make himself the centre of attention again. Hopefully the last either of us see him this season

Well it probably wouldn't have been a good watch tbh as the first half 11 v 11 was already turgid as f**k. That's very much our issue at the moment though instead of Bo'ness, who acquitted themselves fine today. 

This ref has handed bu two red cards one to hunts agains,t clencairn the game today was hard without going down to 10men the score did not reflect  the game the first half the locals where panicking   un till they scored in the second half bu went for it all credit to hunts for putting 3up front and go in for it 

1 hour ago, B-U-tiful United said:

The B teams have to be voted in each season and some well-connected podcaster types seemed to think they would not have been voted in for this season if the SFA board hadn't been making threats related to creating a new ten team fifth tier Conference division for this season.

Given the Conference was subsequently not voted into membership at the SFA AGM because the SFA board realised they were going to lose the vote, there's no obvious reason why the B teams can't be punted from the LL once and for all early in the new year.

1 hour ago, B-U-tiful United said:

Interesting comments from the guy , complaining about BU and Cowdenbeath before Lazio and Madrid games , then complains that they are 19 points off the leaders , well does that not tell him they are just not good enough .

Totally agree , just get out the league , the majority of supporters don’t want you anyway .

16 minutes ago, seenitall said:

Was it an obvious goal scoring opportunity that Ryan denied , very debatable and I suppose you are going to view it based on who you support .

I don't support either side. It was a shocking decision.  A yellow card for what referees term "stopping a promising attack", but nothing more.

6 mins in the video.

Think you've been Craig Napier'd there. IMO there's enough doubt, by the time he regains control of the ball the goal scoring opportunity is going to be at the apex of the 6 yard box with a defender close by and another defender in the middle of the goals. Depending on what he says VAR would probably have recommended a review there especially from a different camera angle.

I was too far away to have an opinion on Saturday. Just watched highlights, and in view of all the jersey tugging that the ref let go, the red card seemed at odds with his previous/further decisions. I think he was a poor referee when we played Glencairn, and he was no better on Saturday.  Thanks for the info John, I should check my facts.

Edited by Costa Crookies

18 minutes ago, Costa Crookies said:

I was too far away to have an opinion on Saturday. Just watched highlights, and in view of all the jersey tugging that the ref let go, the red card seemed at odds with his previous/further decisions. I think that Napier’s failure to progress up the leagues justifies the opinion I have that he was a poor referee when we played Glencairn, and he was no better on Saturday. 

He's a grade 1 ref and officiates the Premier League 

An utterly disgraceful decision. I really hope the boys take this on the chin and don't let it affect them, especially Ryan Stevenson. Mousa looked utterly devestated when he came over to the fans at the end but I hope the applause and chants of his name reminded him of how well he actually did.