Dundee United 23/24

On 15/07/2023 at 23:12, Pull My Strings said:

Fair enough. We needed destroyers in midfield last season and Docherty was sold to the fans as filling that hole. He played deepest of a midfield three today but Spartans didn't do much attacking after taking the lead so I couldn't really say whether he destroyed much or simply played deep. If guys want to vehemently declare that he's not a destroyer then who am I to argue.

Not a destroyer

Not a "baller"

Budget Darren Fletcher.

Gotcha.

If Docherty played within his capabilities he'd be a really good footballer, but he doesn't. He's 30 years old and has never played in the top flight. Why?

He marks space well, reads the game, is tenacious and great at pressing. A good talker on the pitch as well.

However the problem comes when he has the ball at his feet. He thinks he's better than he is. He'll play the ball out the park several times a game or dwells on it and loses possession. He gives it away constantly. Always wants to take free kicks, although I think he's hit the target once.

What type of player is he? Let's just say he always plays well for the team that doesn't have the ball.

2 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Goodwin has made it clear he wants a target man but also said the team lacks pace. If we are brining in mount and a target man we once lack zero pace….

I thought Mount went to Man Utd.

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Consensus on the Motherwell thread appears to be that he is (or was) an excellent player but is now made of biscuits.

The guy is / was rightly lauded as a genuine hero for his two years at Motherwell. Van Veen did weird and wonderful things last year which means he may edge it in terms of a 12 month impact but arguably Moult had a bigger overall impact over his time with us. 

I love the guy and 99% of Well fans do. I would have been heartbroken to see him play against us (may happen in cups). I would be absolutely chuffed if he could get anywhere near his best form (for us). Would not be saying that is he signed for St Mirren mind, but another club in another league if this is true I hope he smashes it next season. If he plays games and stays fit……

Edited by welldaft