Dundee United 23/24

15 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Right don't shoot me down here, but would it be worth it signing Liam Buchanan as a squad back up for striker?

I mean I know he's scored most of his goals at a lower level but if Watts not scoring and Moult gets injured again he's at least a fairly experienced player to come on.

I wouldn't think so, he knows where the net is, but has spent the last two years in the Lowland League, and rarely played higher than the Scottish Championship (one season over ten years ago with the Pars where he struggled to score). Plus, he's 38, and although he's done well in terms of goals in the Lowland League, it's not really of a great standard.

One thing in his favour is, he'd be cheap.

22 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I mean, that was pretty fundamental to it. Most Championship winning teams have a goalscorer banging them in.

The only player who we have that’s capable of banging them in on a regular basis is injured now. Let’s hope it’s not long term or we may find ourselves drawing more than we’re winning.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I wouldn't think so, he knows where the net is, but has spent the last two years in the Lowland League, and rarely played higher than the Scottish Championship (one season over ten years ago with the Pars where he struggled to score). Plus, he's 38, and although he's done well in terms of goals in the Lowland League, it's not really of a great standard.

One thing in his favour is, he'd be cheap.

I didn't realise he was 38 jeezo I should have checked 🤣

For a boy thats hardly played in 2 years Goodwin should be protecting him. Not playing him in the Challange cup when theres no need and should be taking him off early if we are a couple of goals up. Hes our only recognised no9 and needs looked after and eased back into regular football. 

13 hours ago, low-life said:

For a boy thats hardly played in 2 years Goodwin should be protecting him. Not playing him in the Challange cup when theres no need and should be taking him off early if we are a couple of goals up. Hes our only recognised no9 and needs looked after and eased back into regular football. 

The fact that he’s our only recognised no 9 is, of course, the issue.

I’m always reluctant to make predictions but we must be favourites to go back up at the first time of asking.  Barring mass, across the board injuries the main hurdle to ensuring promotion this season is not having an option if Moult is out.

We have a pretty strong squad now with a decent number of options and this is the only obvious weakness.  I hope it doesn’t cost us.

46 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Presumably the young winger who went to Leeds from Motherwell, did nothing and then was released at the end of his contract. Not what we need.

That’s who I assumed was being referenced, and no that’s not what we need.

Losing a goal early like that I was worried they wouldn't really get going.

Very happy to be proved wrong by Middleton and Watt today. Wouldn't say Middleton raised his game much, just things coming off for him because he was trying more often. Watt as well getting in good positions for his goals.

Whole team ticked along nicely second half, most important take away for me today was that they didn't let their heads go down and didn't panic. Nice to see a solid mindset developing in this squad compared to some of the absolute numptie bottle merchants we've had recently.

Yes, encouraging signs of life at Tannadice just now. The squad have proved to be very miserly at the back and appear to be building a great sense of resilience.

Our teams from last few seasons were increasingly a bunch of individuals and there appeared to be no coherent vision from management.

Jim Goodwin has done well in building a team and getting the buy-in and growing team mentality. I think that as long as we can avoid a slew of long-term injuries to 1st team squad we can look forward to this team improving as the season progresses.

6 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Losing a goal early like that I was worried they wouldn't really get going.

Very happy to be proved wrong by Middleton and Watt today. Wouldn't say Middleton raised his game much, just things coming off for him because he was trying more often. Watt as well getting in good positions for his goals.

Whole team ticked along nicely second half, most important take away for me today was that they didn't let their heads go down and didn't panic. Nice to see a solid mindset developing in this squad compared to some of the absolute numptie bottle merchants we've had recently.

Yeah it's a very encouraging sign. For as impressive as QP looked for periods in the 1st half I still can't really remember Walton having a lot to do today and that's a testament to the focus of our defence after being caught out early on.

There was obviously a lot of pressure on Watt today and I was pleased that he kept going and eventually got his goals after he'd already missed 3 headers, a couple of which he should probably have done better with.

43 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Yeah it's a very encouraging sign. For as impressive as QP looked for periods in the 1st half I still can't really remember Walton having a lot to do today and that's a testament to the focus of our defence after being caught out early on.

There was obviously a lot of pressure on Watt today and I was pleased that he kept going and eventually got his goals after he'd already missed 3 headers, a couple of which he should probably have done better with.

I think Walton had a couple of saves to make but nothing troubling. That's what I mean though, folk give Watt pelters but he could have just played out the game and done the minimum, same as Middleton.

Praise where it's due, these two haven't exactly been world beaters recently so was good to see them contribute.

Now to keep it going for Raith next week.