Dundee United 23/24

58 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

We're at the stage where questions do have to be asked about Jim Goodwin, and he needs to reflect on his own tactical performance. I had heard - admittedly second hand - that the long and the short of his tactical instructions is "get it wide and cross it" (and yet we seem to rarely manage that at the moment).

As much as we all want products of our youth system to do well, Meekison and Mochrie looked absolutely miles off it last night. In part that's down to a lack of game time, but also it's down to team selection, tactics and their own drive and determination (you'd think Miller Thomson had played dozens of games for us compared to them). I think we might have got away with picking one of them, but not both. Instead, both now would be nowhere near the starting XI again for the remainder of the season.

It's not fair to blame them specifically though; the whole team - with the exception of Thomson and maybe the centre backs, although I don't know if one of them cost us the first goal - played like they were in a training game. They sauntered around like it was a foregone conclusion that we'd win somehow. Chief culprits for this were Watt and Middleton.

Middleton in particular just hides, yet he stayed on for the entire 90 mins.

I don't think we have the money - or a chairman who cares enough - to sack Goodwin, so we just have to hope Raith drop more points than us.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Was really disappointed in Meekison and Mochrie. Meekison looked a real prospect under Courts, but that was a couple of years ago now and he's done very little since (granted had injuries) and (correct me if I'm wrong) is still to register a goal. Maybe it's the level of coaching he's had right enough.

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Can't disagree with any of that.

Was really disappointed in Meekison and Mochrie. Meekison looked a real prospect under Courts, but that was a couple of years ago now and he's done very little since (granted had injuries) and (correct me if I'm wrong) is still to register a goal. Maybe it's the level of coaching he's had right enough.

Meekison and Mochrie were terrible last night and totally agree it’s one or the other. Watt should arguably have his contract ripped up and Middleton shouldn’t be far behind him. The cheek of him to put his fingers in his ears after scoring the 3rd vs queens was embarrassing. 

I’ve been racking my brain the last time I think we were very good (didn’t count Arbroath games cause they are terrible) and I honestly think it goes back to the start of the season 3-0 away win at Ayr. For anyone interested go have a look at the team line up that day. I remember it being 0-0 at ht thinking we are playing really good stuff here. 

10 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

A lot of folk around me and some here wanting Goodwin out, but given he's contracted until May 2025, if United/Ogren have the money to punt him, tonight I'd rather use it to get Watt to fuck off.

Was it not Goodwin that made Watt your vice captain suggesting he bizarrely had / still has a lot of faith in Watt?  The only other reason I can think of making him vice captain was Goodwin knew he was stuck with him (where else would Watt get close to the wages you are paying?) and it was to try and avoid another Jack Ross type situation.

Goodwin's a horrific manager. It's amazing he's managed to get jobs at clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee United. 32% win rate at St Mirren and taking them to the lofty heights of 6th place? What the f**k were your chairmen thinking.

Please sack him and get a competent manager in

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Goodwin's a horrific manager. It's amazing he's managed to get jobs at clubs like Aberdeen and Dundee United. 32% win rate at St Mirren and taking them to the lofty heights of 6th place? What the f**k were your chairmen thinking.

6th place for St Mirren is a fantastic achievement, tbf.

23 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Was it not Goodwin that made Watt your vice captain suggesting he bizarrely had / still has a lot of faith in Watt?  The only other reason I can think of making him vice captain was Goodwin knew he was stuck with him (where else would Watt get close to the wages you are paying?) and it was to try and avoid another Jack Ross type situation.

Think the latter is true, although there may be credence in both views. Watt appears to have never grown up, he appears like a difficult adolescent, and given he's now thirty, it's doubtful he'll ever become mature. 

The one good thing he did last night, apart from going off on the hour, was a pass to give a player a good chance on goal. Unfortunately, that player was Middleton.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Utd will still go up, and very few Utd fans doubt that despite their protestations to the contrary. 

I'd say a good majority now doubt it if they didn't a month or so ago. I'd put us at 50/50 to go up, and has to be finishing top as Jim couldn't win a crunch game like a playoff to save himself.

Goodwin must stay, look at the early season form and the goals you were banging in, this is just a wee blip like other teams have had, plus we all know Goodwin is crap at getting teams out of a wee slump so it will give the other teams a good chance of catching you 😉

You have a good squad, they are just being made to look mediocre now, whether that is the amount of games being played in this period or crap tactics and a lack of motivation I don't know, but if you're sitting top of the league and you can't go out motivated to give 100% and win every match, if you're not then that is a leadership issue!

Just now, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

I'd say a good majority now doubt it if they didn't a month or so ago. I'd put us at 50/50 to go up, and has to be finishing top as Jim couldn't win a crunch game like a playoff to save himself.

I doubt even an optimistic Raith fan would put their chances at 50/50.    

I think Goodwin tries to be clever and come up with "Masterplans" in each and every game we play, changing line ups depending on who we play rather than keeping a settled team (barring injuries) and letting other teams work out how to beat us 

Edited by Glen Scotia

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

As a Dundee fan looking in from the outside , I honestly couldn’t believe he got a contract after his 5 games after the split , the results were shocking , your board now needs to be brave and sack him right now , if he manages to get your team over the line unlike Dundee did  with Bowyer your Broad will keep him ?and  He’ll just take them right back down again 

1 hour ago, Wee jeemie said:

As a Dundee fan looking in from the outside , I honestly couldn’t believe he got a contract after his 5 games after the split , the results were shocking , your board now needs to be brave and sack him right now , if he manages to get your team over the line unlike Dundee did  with Bowyer your Broad will keep him ?and  He’ll just take them right back down again 

I've been told various tales regarding Goodwin's contract, one of which was he was given the contract until May '25 before the first game of the split, another that he actually signed a 28 month deal when he was appointed just under a year ago. I tend to believe the latter*.

Publicly, I recall United announcing his appointment before the end of the split matches, possibly just after he finally dropped Birighitti. 

*given Ogren's naivety.

5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Watt's had some good games this season and seems like a guy who needs to be cuddled rather than berated. If Goodwin's stuck with him, and his wages, then it probably does make sense to try to work with him constructively. 

Or he is a player with a career track record with flashes of ability generously padded with long periods of doing f**k all because he has no self discipline or sense of his obligations within a team set up and there is no evidence that any managerial approach produces any better results than any other.

I don't blame Goodwin for this or for trying giving him responsibility but I'm now blaming him for persisting.

I'm heartily sick of having players who want to play on their own terms whether it's confidence players or players who need unequivocal fan backing.

21 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Not here to brag, just to share.   Macaroni and Steak & Black Pudding pies were excellent - as was the result.  Good luck in the title race! ♦️

Already had the misfortune of watching it the first time...

If any Arab fancies watching a slightly cheerier video on YouTube, the wonderful chaps at the Arab Archive have been uploading videos from 2006-07 season - including this Beautiful Sunday:

Well worth a stroll down memory lane!

How good were Gomis and Buaben as a central midfield duo - absolutely dominant in the tackle, couple relentless confidence to carry the ball forward time and time again.  Made Kevin Thomson look ordinary.