Tranent 2023/24

Omnishambles

Top 6, third round of the Scottish and picking up some silverware in isolation isn't a bad season at all, but I think - particularly in the league - we've fallen short of a lot of people's early season expectations. Agree with this Summer being a crossroads moment somewhat, in terms of how we're approaching the aim for next season. We've done well already to keep the likes of Robbie McIntyre, Broque Watson, Kelby Mason, Euan Bauld and Cammy Ross for another season. There's a more than capable squad there when everyone is fit. The priority would be addressing the depth a little and smoothing out our inconsistency. Whoever happens to be overseeing that is anybody's guess with our dugout turnover recently.

On 20/04/2024 at 21:28, NewtonBU said:

I wonder how long little will be allowed to captain that ship. Considering the financial outlay at the beginning of the season which wasn’t far off EK the Big T have had a bad season which has been perked up somewhat with the cup win a few weeks back 

Tranent didn't buy any players at the beginning of the season, guys like McIntyre, Higgy, Brett, Gray, Horne, Jones, Walker & Broque were all frees so to compare us with the EK spend is way of the mark.

We did however sell Daryl Healy, Oban Anderson, Nicky Reid, Cal Donaldson, Aiden Walsh and the Bull.

Other players like Kane O'Conner, Shaun Rutherford and Craig Barr also left Foresters as free agents.

Our finishing position has been disappointing to everyone involved, but the financial outlay at the beginning of the season was in fact a plus figure for the club rather than the suggested negative from Newton BU.

4 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

Top 6, third round of the Scottish and picking up some silverware in isolation isn't a bad season at all, but I think - particularly in the league - we've fallen short of a lot of people's early season expectations. Agree with this Summer being a crossroads moment somewhat, in terms of how we're approaching the aim for next season. We've done well already to keep the likes of Robbie McIntyre, Broque Watson, Kelby Mason, Euan Bauld and Cammy Ross for another season. There's a more than capable squad there when everyone is fit. The priority would be addressing the depth a little and smoothing out our inconsistency. Whoever happens to be overseeing that is anybody's guess with our dugout turnover recently.

Any news on what Dean Brett is doing next season? He seems to like a club close to home which is absolutely fair enough when you have a young family.

How has he been overall, seems to be a starter most weeks?

On 22/04/2024 at 13:04, Cowdenleith said:

Any news on what Dean Brett is doing next season? He seems to like a club close to home which is absolutely fair enough when you have a young family.

How has he been overall, seems to be a starter most weeks?

He's a pain in the a*** 😆but a very good player, has extended his contract for a further season.  

On 27/04/2024 at 10:17, Kelheart said:

How was Higgy overall for you guys this season ? Still felt he could've been with us another year 

Been decent without particularly standing out, really. Maybe hasn't always had the benefit of the tactical approach or role he's been asked to do fitting his game. He's one that doesn't appear to have signed on for next season (yet). Can definitely still do a job.

Hoping Lennon Walker is sewn up for next season. Think there's a lot of potential there with a more regular run in the side/injuries not hampering him. Probably shown his capabilities more at Bo'ness last year than this season but hoping he can crack on in 24/25 for us.

1 hour ago, Omnishambles said:

Hoping Lennon Walker is sewn up for next season. Think there's a lot of potential there with a more regular run in the side/injuries not hampering him. Probably shown his capabilities more at Bo'ness last year than this season but hoping he can crack on in 24/25 for us.

This also sounds like his campaign at BU to be fair. Would have liked him to sign on again, but wasn't heartbroken to see him go. You certainly saw flashes of the talent there and I thought he could take a step at Tranent. Not to be cliche but he was the definition of needs to bulk up and when I saw him at a BU game late last year that still looked to be the case. 

As a comparison we had Lucas Stenhouse on loan from Livi the start of this season and while very similar in style, he just had a bit more muscle and it showed, he couldn't be bullied the same way.

20 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

Been decent without particularly standing out, really. Maybe hasn't always had the benefit of the tactical approach or role he's been asked to do fitting his game. He's one that doesn't appear to have signed on for next season (yet). Can definitely still do a job.

Higgy signed a 2 year deal when he joined us.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be going some to replace Skip in that midfield but can't begrudge him a stab at League 2. No doubt he'll stroll it. Bonnyrigg have got themselves a fantastic player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2024 at 12:33, Halfwit8 said:

Higgy signed a 2 year deal when he joined us.

Confirmed today that he's away. Contract mutually terminated. Two solid players and regular starters gone recently so will be interesting to see what sort of business is done over the Summer to hopefully get us in a good place going into next season. I'm guessing Yano is staying put in the dugout for the time being?

1 hour ago, Omnishambles said:

Confirmed today that he's away. Contract mutually terminated. Two solid players and regular starters gone recently so will be interesting to see what sort of business is done over the Summer to hopefully get us in a good place going into next season. I'm guessing Yano is staying put in the dugout for the time being?

Is there final cutbacks that Higgy has been moved on?

Afternoon all. I have the privilege of interviewing your director of football and assistant coach Matthew Thomson on Thursday through at your home ground for my podcast "Today Wheelenterview". I wanted to ask if any of you have any questions you'd like me to put to him, or any topics you would like me to cover? It's a wee bit of a different interview for me, however it allows for a more personal touch when it comes to yourselves and the club. Very happy to share it when it's out!

20 hours ago, Omnishambles said:

I'm pretty sure Watson and Somerville signed on 'til 2025 not long ago.

Watson signed a contract extension in December and Somerville in November.