Future Of Junior Football

Paulik

Hi, folks. I'm new here. Bit of a latecomer to the junior game, too. I've decided to buy a season ticket for my local junior side next season, and was just wondering about some of your thoughts regards the game in Scotland. 

How well supported (fan base) is the junior game? Does it have a rosy future? - given that many professional clubs are struggling to attract new generations through the gates, particularly with more and more fascination with the English league. 

6 hours ago, Paulik said:

Hi, folks. I'm new here. Bit of a latecomer to the junior game, too. I've decided to buy a season ticket for my local junior side next season, and was just wondering about some of your thoughts regards the game in Scotland. 

How well supported (fan base) is the junior game? Does it have a rosy future? - given that many professional clubs are struggling to attract new generations through the gates, particularly with more and more fascination with the English league. 

bart simpson GIF

"Junior football" only effectively exists above the central belt in Scotland now, apart from the teams who retain their SJFA membership and are eligible to play in the Scottish Junior Cup. So that's the SJFA Midlands League and the SJFA North Region leagues.

The WoSFL, EoSFL and SoSFL are not part of "junior football", they are not in any way affiliated to the SJFA, although I recognise that it will take a long time for people to stop referring to those leagues as "the juniors".

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

"Junior football" only effectively exists above the central belt in Scotland now, apart from the teams who retain their SJFA membership and are eligible to play in the Scottish Junior Cup. So that's the SJFA Midlands League and the SJFA North Region leagues.

The WoSFL, EoSFL and SoSFL are not part of "junior football", they are not in any way affiliated to the SJFA, although I recognise that it will take a long time for people to stop referring to those leagues as "the juniors".

I see. Thanks for the info. It's Lochee Harp I'll be going to see next season 

21 minutes ago, Paulik said:

I see. Thanks for the info. It's Lochee Harp I'll be going to see next season 

Wrong choice... ;) 

Joking aside (we actually get on quite well with Harp, it's more North End that are our rivals), this level of the game is still well supported up here. It is different compared to the recent past as it's now a very local league for just Tayside, but with the opportunity of promotion to the Highland League for licensed sides (so far only ourselves & Tayport are licensed in our league though, and none in the North Region). I hope you enjoy it though and maybe see you at a game one day!

Edit: for discussion on our league, you're better off going to the "North Pyramid" subforum where there is a dedicated thread to it (and also one for the North Region).

Edited by Marten

7 minutes ago, Marten said:

Wrong choice... ;) 

Joking aside (we actually get on quite well with Harp, it's more North End that are our rivals), this level of the game is still well supported up here. It is different compared to the recent past as it's now a very local league for just Tayside, but with the opportunity of promotion to the Highland League for licensed sides (so far only ourselves & Tayport are licensed in our league though, and none in the North Region). I hope you enjoy it though and maybe see you at a game one day!

Edit: for discussion on our league, you're better off going to the "North Pyramid" subfolder where there is a dedicated thread to it (and also one for the North Region).

Haha.

I'm pally with Paul Lunan. Sure he just won POTY. And I grew up in Charleston and have been to a couple of Lochee United games in the past. 

I think Harp's main rivalry is probably still with the Violet - I'm actually enjoying that book at the moment, too (The Harp and The Violet). 

Ahh, that's interesting. I'm really just beginning to get into the Junior game now. 

Thank you; yeah, that would be cool 

17 minutes ago, Marten said:

Wrong choice... ;) 

Edit: for discussion on our league, you're better off going to the "North Pyramid" subforum where there is a dedicated thread to it (and also one for the North Region).

Thank you. Just seen your edit. Can a moderator move this discussion to there, mate? 

6 minutes ago, Paulik said:

Haha.

I'm pally with Paul Lunan. Sure he just won POTY. And I grew up in Charleston and have been to a couple of Lochee United games in the past. 

I think Harp's main rivalry is probably still with the Violet - I'm actually enjoying that book at the moment, too (The Harp and The Violet). 

Ahh, that's interesting. I'm really just beginning to get into the Junior game now. 

Thank you; yeah, that would be cool 

Yeah, Paul did win it, I was there on Saturday when he received the prize. Well deserved too imo.

Indeed, that's the idea I get from speaking to people at Harp (and Violet), your main rivalry is with each other like it is for us and North End. We've always had a good relationship with Harp. Helped each other out in the past by swapping fixtures when the ground of the other was being worked on for example. Our first floodlit game was meant to be against Harp, they agreed to move a game to Friday night for that reason. Unfortunately,  that never happened as the works overran.

Edited by Marten

• 1 month later...

If we're not going to use "The Juniors", what do we think is the correct collective expression for the non-SPFL set-up? I mean foe tue West/East/South combined.

I don't think junior is used pejoratively in my experience. Perhaps just speaking for my own outlook though.

6 hours ago, Estragon said:

If we're not going to use "The Juniors", what do we think is the correct collective expression for the non-SPFL set-up? I mean foe tue West/East/South combined.

I don't think junior is used pejoratively in my experience. Perhaps just speaking for my own outlook though.

Just non-league, all leagues are now senior leagues and only the Midlands League and North Region still ultimately come under the SJFA (or more precisely ERJFA & NRJFA respectively). The term "juniors" doesn't really cover it anymore.