The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

15 hours ago, HA18 said:

Connor Smith looking set for a return to yous? 

Fingers crossed, would be the best business of the window and that's saying something with the calibre of player that has already arrived. 

I'm making these little game promos for our fixtures as something different and trying to incorporate something from the teams or just make a joke (see the Kelty Heart steak.)

I'm struggling with Hamilton - now I can fall back on Hammy the Hamster but if there's anything that gives you a bit of identity... I could really use it. I don't want to run out of steam before I at least complete the 9 opening fixtures.

image.thumb.png.434650a61d23a1d25e2e9ab07c13bdb0.png

5 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm making these little game promos for our fixtures as something different and trying to incorporate something from the teams or just make a joke (see the Kelty Heart steak.)

I'm struggling with Hamilton - now I can fall back on Hammy the Hamster but if there's anything that gives you a bit of identity... I could really use it. I don't want to run out of steam before I at least complete the 9 opening fixtures.

Looks brilliant mate

10 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Accies and an identity is not an easy one tbh. We have had too many disinterested owners and leaving our original ground and being away from the town for so many years hasnt helped

Probably a bit of an obscure reference for those not familiar with the towns history, but i have always felt the ancient Cadzow white cattle would have been a good mascot for us. Was good enough for the Duke of Hamilton! 

The well fans i know like to reference Where's Wally during on line banter 😠 

14 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Very nice.

Could lean into the Academical part. Only pro team in the UK to originate from a school team, so maybe something up that avenue, headteacher in classic attire swatting at wasps perhaps.

On 09/08/2023 at 02:34, Laid-back Accie said:

Very nice.

Could lean into the Academical part. Only pro team in the UK to originate from a school team, so maybe something up that avenue, headteacher in classic attire swatting at wasps perhaps.

Aye thats better than my big coo idea tbf and you wouldnt have to explain its meaning to folk 😆

On 08/08/2023 at 12:18, LeodhasXD said:

Well for something visually recognisable related to Hamilton, you could try something to do with the old Dukes of Hamilton for which there are still some landmarks ... the Palace is long gone now with no trace left but you still have the old shooting lodge at Chatelherault (great place to walk the dog btw ...) to the south of the town and there is also the (Hamilton family) Mausoleum which is a recognisable landmark seen from the motorway ...

image.jpeg.2378a9647faec5e9fbf42f035c1ee5e1.jpeg

Photo

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Well for something visually recognisable related to Hamilton, you could try something to do with the old Dukes of Hamilton for which there are still some landmarks ... the Palace is long gone now with no trace left but you still have the old shooting lodge at Chatelherault (great place to walk the dog btw ...) to the south of the town and there is also the (Hamilton family) Mausoleum which is a recognisable landmark seen from the motorway ...

Photo

@LeodhasXD I'm sure there's plenty you could do with Hamilton's famous phallic shaped mausoleum!

This request has made me realise how little we have something unique to us, I'd personally go with the headmaster idea, think there's definitely something there and I'd imagine the most easily recognisable.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Photo

Fair play , you know more about the towns history than a lot of accies fans i bet.

Many moons ago as a student i did a research paper on the Duke of Hamiltons estates that included the palace grounds, Cadzow Castle, the hunting lodge, high parks etc. Such a shame that most of this was lost. Things like the Dukes monument still survive up in Barnscluith but i would have loved to have seen the  palace. Who puts a coal mine underneath their own gaff!!!!

We used to have a supporters club who had the mausoleum as part of its logo. Not sure if it still exists in some form? (from memory it was a circular badge dissectted into three, cant remember what the other two images were though. Any older fans able to advise?)

Edited by Beckford

11 minutes ago, Beckford said:

Fair play , you know more about the towns history than a lot of accies fans i bet.

Many moons ago as a student i did a research paper on the Duke of Hamiltons estates that included the palace grounds, Cadzow Castle, the hunting lodge, high parks etc. Such a shame that most of this was lost. Things like the Dukes monument still survive up in Barnscluith but i would have loved to have seen the  palace. Who puts a coal mine underneath their own gaff!!!!

We used to have a supporters club who had the mausoleum as part of its logo. Not sure if it still exists in some form? (from memory it was a circular badge dissectted into three, cant remember what the other two images were though. Any older fans able to advise?)

Hands up ... I'm kinda local (lived in Strathaven for the past 23 years) and always enjoyed the woodland walks down at Chatelherault, so over the years have picked up on some of the history.  Real shame that the Palace was lost to the coal mines.  Also go over to Arran a lot, much of which was owned by the Dukes of Hamilton (Brodick castle for example).  Must have been quite a wealthy/powerful dynasty back in the day.

6 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Photo

I thought Dungavel was the stately pile of the Hamilton crew.

We've been linked with Owen Moffat now on loan from Blackpool guy looked an excellent prospect at Celtic even playing in a couple of games for the first team. Would be an excellent signing if we got him and Connor in then this team is complete would expect to see 2 or 3 moving on though.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Hands up ... I'm kinda local (lived in Strathaven for the past 23 years) and always enjoyed the woodland walks down at Chatelherault, so over the years have picked up on some of the history.  Real shame that the Palace was lost to the coal mines.  Also go over to Arran a lot, much of which was owned by the Dukes of Hamilton (Brodick castle for example).  Must have been quite a wealthy/powerful dynasty back in the day.

Ah ok, yeah greed got them in the end it seems. My grandad was fond of telling me tales of the Dukes of Hamilton and how the town of Motherwell only exists because the Duke didnt fancy letting freight trains onto his land (so we have him to blame for those buggers as well.)

Edited by Beckford

4 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I thought Dungavel was the stately pile of the Hamilton crew.

It was indeed yet another of the various stately piles of the Hamiltons ... they had plenty of them.

Shamelessly quoting from that most accurate font of all knowledge that is Wiki ...

Dungavel ...Originally a 19th-century hunting lodge and summer retreat of the Dukes of Hamilton linked to their then main house at Hamilton Palace, it was the home of the 13th Duke from 1919 following the demolition of the palace due to subsidence, arising from mining in the area.

This was the subsidence which @Beckford mentioned in an earlier post above.

One of my cycle rides regularly takes me out past Dungavel - it looks cold and bleak nowadays - hardly surprising as it's now an Immigration Removal Centre.

220px-HM_Prison_Dungavel_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1218943.jpg

Edited by Otis Blue

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

It was indeed yet another of the various stately piles of the Hamiltons ... they had plenty of them.

Shamelessly quoting from that most accurate font of all knowledge that is Wiki ...

Dungavel ...Originally a 19th-century hunting lodge and summer retreat of the Dukes of Hamilton linked to their then main house at Hamilton Palace, it was the home of the 13th Duke from 1919 following the demolition of the palace due to subsidence, arising from mining in the area.

This was the subsidence which @Beckford mentioned in an earlier post above.

One of my cycle rides regularly takes me out past Dungavel - it looks cold and bleak nowadays - hardly surprising as it's now an Immigration Removal Centre.

220px-HM_Prison_Dungavel_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1218943.jpg

Actually been in there (through work).

Very bleak place.

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

Actually been in there (through work).

Very bleak place.

There's often demonstrations and protests being held outside the gates ... I'm sure there's lots of very unhappy folk in there.  Feel the sad vibes every time I cycle past.

19 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

We've been linked with Owen Moffat now on loan from Blackpool guy looked an excellent prospect at Celtic even playing in a couple of games for the first team. Would be an excellent signing if we got him and Connor in then this team is complete would expect to see 2 or 3 moving on though.

Interesting.

Does this close the door for Connor Smith or could we accommodate for them both?

Optimistic, but I'd like to see them both sign, a bigger squad with options and competition can only be a good thing.