The Hamilton Accies Championship Thread

31 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

M8 we played Reegan Mimnaugh at left back ffs, clearly a piss take and still trounced Alloa.

Just playing Reegan Mimnaugh at all is a piss take. Mental how he, Ronan Hughes and Kyle Munro started for us in the premiership against teams like Celtic and Rangers. 

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

We had 8  yes 8 first team players  out then , got a man sent off and lost our best player first half , 

had midfield players in defence

its no wonder that we lost 

it will be different this time around  

We started the most important game of our season Vs Airdrie with Matty Shiels, a right-back, playing as a target man. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Alloa not having Brian Rice as their manager automatically makes them better than they were last season. From the three times I've seen them this season, I'd say that they've been the better team against us over the piece. 

Rankin tends to get something out of the players on these big occasions (with the notable exception of the Falkirk games), but that's not always enough to succeed. Sometimes his starting tactics let him down like against Hearts in the cup last season, sometimes it's his in-game decisions like closing out the play-off v Airdrie, or sometimes ill-discipline like Kilday's tackle against Raith this season. I really liked what I saw of Alloa back in February, so I think our press is gonna need to be spot on in these games - it often isn't under Rankin. 

In fairness, if there's one man I'd blame for us losing to Airdrie it's not Rankin. Jean-Pierre fucking Tiehi missed a sitter in the 88th minute and an tap-in in extra time. And the Kilday red was bizarre, as was the O'Reilly red in the cup final last season. His big failures have been the Falkirk games. It's a big if, but if he gets us promoted he'll be our most successful manager since Alex Neil by a country mile. 

29 minutes ago, Moysterclass said:

Just playing Reegan Mimnaugh at all is a piss take. Mental how he, Ronan Hughes and Kyle Munro started for us in the premiership against teams like Celtic and Rangers.

It's far from the only reason but losing Reegan Mimnaugh for the season in September is a big part of the reason we ended up in the bottom half and mounted no challenge at all. He was very comfortably our best player in the first 6 weeks and his style was crucial to the way Bartley wanted to play.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's far from the only reason but losing Reegan Mimnaugh for the season in September is a big part of the reason we ended up in the bottom half and mounted no challenge at all. He was very comfortably our best player in the first 6 weeks and his style was crucial to the way Bartley wanted to play.

Fair enough, glad he's found his level and a manager who knows how to use him. We just couldn't get a tune out of him. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moysterclass said:

It's a big if, but if he gets us promoted he'll be our most successful manager since Alex Neil by a country mile. 

I strongly disagree with that and in my opinion he's been far the worst out of the bunch he's gotten us relegated from the championship in a league which had 2 poor part time sides in it in his first season. Finished 16 points behind Falkirk admittedly they have been a great side and obviously deserved to win the league however we still shouldn't have finished almost 20 points behind them up until now Rankin has completely failed for 2 seasons he could sort of semi redeem himself if we do go up however even if we do he's still a long way from winning the majority of the fanbase back and I don't think it's fair to say he's been more successful than previous managers who kept us in the premiership. 

Edited by Ian Mcleod

11 hours ago, Moysterclass said:

In fairness, if there's one man I'd blame for us losing to Airdrie it's not Rankin. Jean-Pierre fucking Tiehi missed a sitter in the 88th minute and a tap-in in extra time. And the Kilday red was bizarre, as was the O'Reilly red in the cup final last season. His big failures have been the Falkirk games. It's a big if, but if he gets us promoted he'll be our most successful manager since Alex Neil by a country mile. 

He is our worst Manager since Colin Miller and this won’t change even if we win the Play Offs.

He relegated us last season with a squad who were capable of getting out of the Play Offs : bringing on Zanatta against Airdrie instead of Brian Easton to shore up the defence summed up his in game Management.

In addition, he has created a bloated squad with no idea what is his best team and players are inexplicably dropped for no reason when playing well, eg Jake Hastie.

However,my main gripe is for a Youth team Coach, he has been reluctant to play some of our youngsters which is inexcusable and goes against the Accies ethos.

As  a regular reserve/under 18 attendee, some of these boys have had a raw deal-especially when first team flops are continually played no matter how bad their form is.

Nevertheless,I and many others will wholeheartedly get behind The Management team and the Players for the Play Offs.

I urge all those who have been staying away since December to return for these vital games and ditto those we lost during our Premiership years.

We face a strong opponent…hopefully two and a vocal support and utilising the squad depth will be important.

19 hours ago, Moysterclass said:

if he gets us promoted he'll be our most successful manager since Alex Neil by a country mile. 

Hi John

34 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Ryan Fulton being forced out the club by The Investor despite being fully fit since February is the word on the street from sources close to the player himself.

Whats the story ?

Very good keeper but made of glass. Don't think we want one of our highest earners to miss as many games as he has.

Boys, could we possibly keep Cian Newbury for next season as well if you aren't going to use him?

He's a class act. 18-years-old and totally unphased last night by a really competitive and extremely physical game. Which he largely bossed from central midfield. I thought he looked the part at centre-half, but it turns out he's even better in midfield. We've got two fairly solid League Two operators in that position (Ryan Blair and Blair Malcolm) who can't get a sniff because of Newbury's performances.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Boys, could we possibly keep Cian Newbury for next season as well if you aren't going to use him?

He's a class act. 18-years-old and totally unphased last night by a really competitive and extremely physical game. Which he largely bossed from central midfield. I thought he looked the part at centre-half, but it turns out he's even better in midfield. We've got two fairly solid League Two operators in that position (Ryan Blair and Blair Malcolm) who can't get a sniff because of Newbury's performances.

May as well, Rankin probably won't play him anyway.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Our owner has said he will be a squad player for us next season regardless of what league we’re in. I’d say IF we go up though that’s probably a load of shite and he’ll go out on loan, probably to a Kelty or similar level so you better get through the play offs if you want him.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Laid-back Accie said:

May as well, Rankin probably won't play him anyway.

29 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Our owner has said he will be a squad player for us next season regardless of what league we’re in. I’d say IF we go up though that’s probably a load of shite and he’ll go out on loan, probably to a Kelty or similar level so you better get through the play offs if you want him.

It would be a crying shame to see him on the bench somewhere and only getting 10/15 minutes here and there. So hopefully he gets a chance in the first team, takes it and nails down his spot. I've absolutely no doubt he's good enough. We've got Gallagher Lennon on loan from St Mirren too, who has really came onto a game lately. But Newbury is a better player. And St Mirren rate Gal very highly.

We'll scoosh the playoffs now we've got through a first leg without continuing our habit of conceding an average of 5 goals in 90 minutes. Every confidence :lol:

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It would be a crying shame to see him on the bench somewhere and only getting 10/15 minutes here and there. So hopefully he gets a chance in the first team, takes it and nails down his spot. I've absolutely no doubt he's good enough. We've got Gallagher Lennon on loan from St Mirren too, who has really came onto a game lately. But Newbury is a better player. And St Mirren rate Gal very highly.

We'll scoosh the playoffs now we've got through a first leg without continuing our habit of conceding an average of 5 goals in 90 minutes. Every confidence :lol:

He has always been a cracking player for the Under 18’s/reserves and I have heard great things about him at Dumbarton.

He could easily play right back for us next season as ideally we have Jamie Hamilton/Fergus Owens as our central defensive pairing , although that Dud in the dugout will still play McGowan/Kilday.

Like most of our youth, they deserve better, but this Manager would rather play journeymen signed by The Investor in the Boardroom.

Edited by Ye Olde Hamiltonian

We could be losing Martin, Davidson and Hewitt (and Latona) in the summer, so he might get an opportunity in midfield at the start of next season. 

@Jan Vojáček what kind of midfield role has he been playing? In a two? Deepest in a three?

On 06/05/2024 at 13:21, Moysterclass said:

We started the most important game of our season Vs Airdrie with Matty Shiels, a right-back, playing as a target man. 

Well IMO moving a back to the attack is less dodgy than  moving an attacker into defence  ,but maybe thats just me, in any case its all history now .. see you saturday (from a healthy distance )  🙂 

41 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We could be losing Martin, Davidson and Hewitt (and Latona) in the summer, so he might get an opportunity in midfield at the start of next season. 

@Jan Vojáček what kind of midfield role has he been playing? In a two? Deepest in a three?

We’ll only lose Martin if someone buys him as he is still under contract for next season.

2 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

although that Dud in the dugout will still play McGowan/Kilday.

Think that's a bit harsh on Kilday he's rarely put a foot wrong all season imo and I think Kilday, Fergus and Longridge have all played a huge part on why we he have the joined least goals conceded in the league I thought Kilday done well last night as well. I do agree with what you said about McGowan though 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

We’ve been playing a 4-1-4-1 recently. And Newbury has been the one. So very much a holding sort of role. He’s had Jinky Hilton ahead of him, who is probably what you’d term a #10 and then Finlay Gray (a guy who you lot should also be looking at imo) is the hyper energetic box-to-box number eight. Newbury and Gray seem quite capable at switching roles during the game. Or making it 4-2-3-1.

We’ve got two solid, no nonsense centre-halves in Mark Durnan and Sean Crighton (the guy I’m hoping might help sway you lot into letting us keep Newbury if Rankin doesn’t feel he’s ready yet). So Cian’s pace has been needed on occasion to help them. Similarly Carlo Pignatiello is a really adventurous right-back, and I’ve noticed Newbury slotting in there when Carlo is caught forward.

i know I’m hyping him up something awful here, but I fully expect him to be named our YPOTY. For someone so young, with so little experience to come into a team that was struggling for form at the time and instantly look like one of our best players speaks volumes about him as a player, and as a character. I doubt you’ll find a Sons fan who hasn’t been impressed.